Paradigm mini-monitor or monitor 5

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by davidFIL, May 4, 2006.

1. davidFIL

davidFIL Auditioning

Hi guys, this is my first post and I'm sorry if this is a repost or one very similar to another one. I'm looking at spending $300-$550 on speakers and I think I've narrowed it between Paradigm mini-monitors and monitor 5. THe MMs are much cheaper and I've actually auditioned them at my local dealer. However, I've read some reviews from audioreviews.com and some people just do not like them. Something about high frequencies being too harsh and/or not enough bass. On the other hand, I have yet to find a negative review on the Monitor 5's. The only problem is, my local dealers don't have monitor 5s in stock and so the only way I'd get to listen to them is if i bought them.

So...My question to you all is: is there a signifigant difference between the MMs and the Monitor 5? I know the physical differences, I'd just like to hear back on personal experience and feelings on them. Thanks a lot.

2. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Honestly, what I would do is order Ascend 170SEs. If I remember correctly the minis are about the same price but the Ascends are in a completely different class. Many people prefer the 170 over the Studio 20 which is the next series of speakers above the mini monitors. Don't get me wrong, I like Paradigm but for that price I would go Ascend. They give you 30 days to send them back if you dont like them and you are only out shipping which isnt too bad on a couple bookshelf speakers. If I choose between the mini and the 5 it would depend on how big my room is.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I've owned both and between the two it would definitely be the 5s. The bass is OK with the Minis, though the highs are a bit on the bright side on nearly all of the Paradigms with the possible exception of the Signatures, IMO.

I'd almost agree with that but for the money, I'd actually go with Ascend 340 SEs, which are just a little bit more than the 5s and will be money better spent. If you're looking to save a bit, then the 170s will likely be more than sufficient. [​IMG]

4. davidFIL

davidFIL Auditioning

Would someone be kind of enough to direct me to a review on either the Ascend 170se or Ascend 340se? thanks.

5. John Garcia

John
  6. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

7. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

Like John, I've owned both the minis and the 5s. The 5s are well worth the extra money and are a clearly better speaker. In a small-medium sized room, the 5s are a very strong value. In a larger, more open room, I love the 11s. That being said, I'm sure the Ascends are pretty awesome speakers. Internet brands usually offer a solid value. I've not heard them, but the following they have speaks volumes.

But between the minis and the 5s, 5s all the way.

8. davidFIL

davidFIL Auditioning

Gosh you guys, the old adage holds true: "the more I know, the less I know". lol. I'm kind of interested in the Ascend CMT-340s.

Another question. Currently I have a Fluance AV-HTB speaker setup hooked up to a Harman Kardon AVR225 receiver and an Acoustics Research PS108. Am I going to hear a really huge difference between the Ascend and the Fluance. I'm sure there will be a difference, I just want to know how much.

Also, I really like the 30-day moneyback guarantee from Ascend so just in case I don't like them, I'll just lose the shipping charge of $26 instead of having to pay a much larger restocking fee (if I could return them) if I went with Paradigm.

One thing I don't like about Ascend and it's really picky. They don't take American Express so I can't get an extra year warranty on them. :-(

9. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Go back to the paradigm dealer and listen to the studio 40's if they have them. The Ascend 340's dont sound quite the same but are certainly in the same class as the studios. I actually prefer the Ascends.

If the Paradigm Monitor series sound better than the Fluance the Ascends will blow you away.

10. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Whats with all the reference and signature series suggestions?

The original poster said "I'm looking at spending $300-$550 on speakers"

For retail stuff I think he's looking right on the money. I don't have any experience with the 5s so I can't say there. However keep in mind the 5s with small stands are probably about the same price as the 7s, so that would be a consideration. Does your dealer have the 7s? I would imagine they would be quite similar at least when compared with the minimonitors. I am a past owner of mini-monitors and enjoyed them very much while I had them, both without and with a sub.

Studio series last time I checked started in about $800 which is above the OP's pricerange, and I believe they've gotten more expensive since then, so I don't know why all the recommendations to look at those.

11. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I don't want to push you into anything you can't afford, but have you considered speaker stands for either of the Paradigm speakers. A good pair of speaker stands can cost $200 or more. For that extra money I suggest you consider the Monitor 7s, a floorstanding speaker. Whatever you choose, remember the best speaker is the speaker that sounds the best to you.

12. John Garcia

John
    You can get very good stands for about $100-$150, but yes that is a factor. A factor that doesn't bother me at all if I get what I want out of the speaker.

13. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

What John said....Even though the price of the 5s with stands hits right around what the 7s go for, that is NOT the same thing as the speakers sounding the same. The 5s on stands are still different than the 7s, so it still comes down to which speaker you like more.