What's new

Paradigm Mini Monitor/ctr Match? (1 Viewer)

Kevin G.

Second Unit
ok, so I finally make a decision on the Focus for the mains
and the cc270 ctr channel which is perfectly matched w/the Focus.

then it hits me ...I can,("For a few dollars more") upgrade to the mini monitors. My salesman is reccommending the cc370.
Is this just a ploy to get me to spend a few more bucks?
Or is the mini and the 370 the closest possible match?
will I hear the difference if I went with the 270, and the minis?

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
He is right, the cc370 is the proper center for the minis. Listen to both and see if it is worth the money to you. FWIW I have the Monitor 3s and cc370 and could not be more happy with them.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is only one center for the Monitor line, and that is the CC370. I had 5s and a CC370, and they were a seemless blend. It is worth the money to get the 370, IMO. I had a 170, 270 and eventually moved to a v3 370.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
hey, as always thanks guys,

the info provided here is unmatched!!!!

guess I'll make my decision on my last listen and purchase.
the salesman had me listen to the mini's, but the difference, although audible, over the Focus, was not astounding. Maybe at higher volumes?
maybe in a theater situation?(this was a two-channel environment and switching between the titan, focus, and monitor, as well as the Mirage monitor, then adding the sub to create bass)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Well, you should take a listen to the mini-monitors. I own a pair now (am upgrading very soon) and have been very happy with them. I also own a pair of titans, which is just a bit smaller than the focus, and within the same line. Both are great speakers, but the step up to the mini monitors is worth it. If you listen to a lot of music, I would make that jump in an instant, EVEN if I couldn't afford to get the cc370 to match the minis.

If you can't afford to get the 370 now, your dealer may likely have a trade-in policy, so you could get a cheaper center, like the 170/270 now, along with mini-monitors, then trade it in towards the 370, and have a matching set.

I've heard a setup with a 170 and mini-monitors, and it sounds great. The timbre is different between the lines, yes and I would recommend getting the matchin 370 eventually, or now if you can afford it, but even unmatched, I think you will find it provides wonderful performance.

What will you be using for surrounds/sub?

Kevin G.

Second Unit
What will you be using for surrounds/sub?
I'm almost embarrassed to admit (excuse me for my ignorance), but now I'm enlightened!!!

Chris, you answered a couple of my first posts so this shouln't come as a shock... they're uh... bose uh...201's

Sorry!!! Sorry!!! stop throwin stuff...ow!

the sub is just a htib cheappie but I'm workin' on the wife,
it's just a slow process

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
HEHEHe.

whaddya know. I have a pair of bose 201s too. Don't fret, they'll work fine for surrounds. In fact, I'd put the sub first on my list of upgrades. The bose bookshelves are not the greatest, but IMO, they aren't nearly as bad as their cube systems, and they'll work fine as surrounds.

Talk your wife into an SVS if you can. ;)

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Kevin- are you close enough to drive into Canada? Many folks close to the border drive across and save a fair amount on Paradigms.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yep, a trip to Windsor might just do the trick if you are in the nort-eastern part of Mi...:D

The difference between the Minis and Titans is very subtle, but after much time with both of them, it was aparent that the Minis are the better speaker...and the 5s were even better when I moved to them. The 5s give a +2dB jump in sensitivity and move quite a bit more air than the Minis, giving them a much larger presence with the same characteristic sound. The 5s are now gone, and the 370 goes as soon as my new center comes in, but I still feel they are very good speakers for the money.

Kevin G.

Second Unit
yeah, windsor is only a couple hours away, sarnia's even closer.

The thought was to move the 201's to the rear(they're brand new, I only discovered this forum after I bought them.) Thank goodness they'll work for rears!!

Is there that much savings over the U.S. market?
My dealer is giving me a 15% discount, good/bad? is there even more room for him to move? (He's even offering me a demo 270 at 5% more savings)

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
TRy this thread and this post for a Windsor dealer. Or have you consider buying used at audiogon.com? 15% is fairly standard and from my understanding the Canadian prices or worth the trip. Call and see what price you get. I beleive the exchange right now is one Loonie = 75 cents US.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...radigm+windsor
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anybody know if there's a Paradigm dealer in Windsor?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIVE WIRE AUDIO
11505 TECUMSEH ROAD EAST
WINDSOR, ON
519-979-7740

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Kevin,

I'm stopping into my local dealer this afternoon so I'll checkout the price for Mini Monitors and CC370 for you.

Kevin

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For those dealers who do give discounts, 15% is pretty standard in the US, so I'd say that is pretty good. I have gotten 20%, but that is rare (and I buy a lot of gear from my dealer).

Audiogon is a pretty good resource too, just check regularly, they seem to go in spurts.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
In a home theater, the center channel is the most important speaker. Over 50% of the sound from a 5.1 system will come from the center, so I wouldn't skimp on the cost of this speaker.

the sub is just a htib cheappie but I'm workin' on the wife,it's just a slow process
I definitely know where you are coming from. 4 years ago I posed the question on this forum -- "How do I convince my wife I need a subwoofer?" The best answer I got was to buy it and set up before she gets home and tell her its a dehumidfier. Great response. Now when I start looking for a new piece of A/V equipment, I tell my wife I'm going to get a new dehumidifier.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Kevin,

From my local dealer your looking at $1400CDN/$1050US for Mini Monitors front/rear and CC-370. Thats before a discount. So if you get it for 15% off then its $1400CDN after tax. You get the taxes back at the border and via mail. So you could come away with the speakers for $1218CDN/$920US.

Kevin

Kevin G.

Second Unit
'm stopping into my local dealer this afternoon so I'll checkout the price for Mini Monitors and CC370 for you.
thanks a million guys, I'll probably come home w/the minis
and the 370, hopefully I won't have to upgrade for a few...
(yeah right!!)

am I correct in understanding that I need @20 hours of play to open these puppies up for real?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is more than 20 hrs, but you probably won't notice it much vs the time it takes for them to break in. The difference is not night and day. They will relax in less than an hour, but they will not settle in for about 40-50 hrs, IMO. When I got my bookshelf speakers for my bedroom, I just turned them on and left the CD player going all day while I was at work for a few days (not too loud).

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
The surrounds really loosen up after several hours of use. I think that the monitors sounded a little harsh straight out of the box but that goes away quickly, I could be mistaken though. I dont think you will upgrade soon. I have had mine for a few years and cant imagine replacing them. And I have upgrade-itis as bad as everyone else here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks