1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Paradigm Mini Mon or Energy Connoisseur C1 for Stereo listening?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Won, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Steve Won

Steve Won Auditioning

I've got a modest 70W Pioneer bookshelf stereo system and am looking to upgrade the speakers. I own two sets of Energy Connoisseur C1 for my HT setup and I'm happy with their performance. I've tried the C1's with this bookshelf system and they sound quite a bit better than the Pioneer speakers that came with the system. The Energy's are quite bright, but I don't mind. I was also surprised at the amount of bass they produced.

How different will the Paradigm Mini Monitors sound? Are they less bright sounding that Energy? They are a bit larger than the C1's and rear ported, so I assume they'll have to be further from the wall to sound the best. Because of this, it might not be an option because of where the speakers have to go, but I'll see what Mini Mon owners might have to say.

Thanks.

Steve.

2. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I've owned the Paradigm Mini Monitors (and NHT SuperOne, Polk Audio RT25i, Boston Acoustics CR8, HTD Level Three bookshelfs, JBL S-26s, etc....) and I currently own the Energy C-1 in a modest stereo system. To my ears, the Paradigm was kinda cold and sterile, with booming and ill-defined bass response. Yes, I did break them in over several months. Maybe it's my small room, which happens to be a den. The Energys, on the other hand, was not bright to my ears and actually sounded excellent when I hook them up. Like you said, amazing and tight bass response from such a small speaker. I think the Mini Monitors will work better in a bigger room.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I own Mini Monitors and love them, but I think the Energy might work better for you. The Energy C-1 has a higher sensitivity, which will help with the little 70w you will be giving them. And the rear port on the Paradigms can be troublesome if you do not have a good place to put them.

But in the end, let your ears decide. Try to do a double blind comparison and see what your ears like better. They are both good speakers, so you can't really go wrong either way.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I have Minis in a second, mostly music system, and while they are very good, they are not the greatest music speaker. Not spectacular, but good for the price. (analog, stereo, full range, SS amp) I had them in a fairly large room and they did fine, though they have now moved to a VERY large room and they actually sound even better. They have some trouble with vocals. They seem to like jazz and do well with percussion.

I was particularly unimpressed with the C-1s. They sounded sloppy in the midrange and boomy at the bottom. Poor and unconvincing with vocals. Worked well for percussion and piano though. (analog, stereo, full range, tube amp)

5. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

Agreed with John about the C-1s. I think the whole Conny line from Energy is terrible.

6. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I own some Paradigm Titans, which I preferred to the sound of the Mini-Monitors in side-by-side comparisons. I also own Energy C-5s. While I respect the opinions of the two previous folks, I gotta tell you I love the Energy tweeter. Vocals sound outstanding without any brightness and the bass is good. The tweeter is so much better it is not even funny. I am surprised you said the C1s have bass. For such a small speaker, I thought they would have none. Maybe now it is time for me to finally replace my Titan rears with a pair of C1s.

It won't hurt you to audition the Paradigms, but my guess is that you will choose to stay with the Energys.

7. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

I've sold both brands and have found in general that Energy clients did not like Paradigm and vice versa.

8. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

9. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

You are right on the money Brian, personal taste.
    One can compare specs for ever but it really boils down to what the designer of the speaker believes his market is looking for.
    At a Paradigm seminar I had attended, their rep said they design their speakers to have a pleasing sound. Energy goes for an accurate sound. One cannot say one is 'better' because of that.
    Dahlquist would be an accurate type of loudspeaker. Incredibly popular too. It's a smaller operation than the mass market brands and the value for dollar ratio is high right now. That is now the number one best selling bookshelf speaker in our shop.
    What did you think of those Dahlquists you got for your daughter way back when? Hopefully she's pleased with them.

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

That's why I said it was my personal opinion above.

While I didn't enjoy the Paradigm Mini Monitor, I actually like the Titan. Again, it all came down to preference. I got my C-1 for $275.00/pair, which is not that much more than a pair of Titan with magnetic shielding. And, in my opinion again, a better looking/sounding speaker.

From John's experience with the Mini Monitor, I guess I was right in assuming that a larger room will benefit them more. If I only have the room....

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    [​IMG] I switched to Monitor 5s because the Minis weren't everything I was looking for. The 5s have cleaner, clearer midrange.
    I have Titans also, and have done endless back to back listening to the two, and there is no question in my mind that the Minis are the better speaker for music. For movies, especially set to small, they are extremely close, but my nod still goes to the Mini. When set to small and fed plenty of power, the Minis are happy.
    Robert_Z - let me take a wild guess - A&B and Audio By Design? [​IMG] I was at ABD over the Thanksgiving holiday, which is where I listened to the C1s , oddly enough (Jack is a great guy!). Give a listen to the Indigos, if you haven't [​IMG]
    I did not find A&B to be helpful or knowledgeable, but they had some decent prices.

12. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

13. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

14. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

Well, I just put my money where my mouth is...bought a pair of C-1s on eBay. I probably just wasted almost $200 because they will only be used as rears in my HT system. Oh well.