What's new

Paradigm lines - Performance / Monitor / Studio - best value for the money? (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
As usual, the search function is down, so please have mercy on me for asking a question that I'm sure has been asked many times before. :b

I've been looking at the entire range of Paradigm speakers, but it's difficult to find accurate information about the speakers' SRP and what I should EXPECT to pay - i.e. what's reasonable.

Here are three setups I'm considering - can somebody give me an estimate of what I should expect to pay for each of them? What offers the best value for the money?

Setup 1:
1 pair Phantoms, 1 (or 2) pair Atoms, CC-270

Setup 2:
1 pair Monitor 7s, 1 (or 2) pair Mini Monitors, CC-370

Setup 3:
1 pair Studio 60s, 1 (or 2) pair Studio 20s, Studio CC

I really need to know what people are paying so I can make a judgment of how to get the most for my money - i.e. does the additional cost of speakers higher up the line justify the money spent?

There are two dealers in my area with similar prices, but I'd like to know how they compare to what others have paid. Thanks so much in advance.

Eric

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand your shopping style.

If you're interested in the Performance line you should compare them with similar lines by other companies. Likewise for the Monitor and Studio lines.

The Studios vastly out-perform the other two lines. It seems to me your shopping strategy is like deciding between a Ford Focus, Toyota Camry or BMW 330.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Setup 1
~$800

Setup 2
~$1250

Setup 3
~2200

All are assuming 1 pair of rear speakers. I am not positive about these prices, but they should be close. I have speakers from all 3 of Paradigm's lines, so I have based my price on a +- from the speakers I have bought compared to where they were in the line.

In my opinion, the Monitors are the best bang for the buck. They have much better midrange than the Performance series, and the highs are better. But, the Monitiors are a little bright. For Home Theater, they are great, but for music the Studio series improves a lot. But it is also a much higher price. That is where you will have to go listen and decide for yourself.

MarcVH

Second Unit
I'd say your main concerns are how much $$$ you have to spend, what you listen to, and how long you plan to keep these things.

If you're like me, you listen to a significant amount of 2-channel music as well as movies, and plan to keep these speakers a long time. In that case I'd suggest you get the Studio line if you can swing it. If necessary, just get the mains and the center, and pick up some cheap used bookshelf speakers for the surrounds. They can be upgraded later, and having a good front soundstage is what's most important.

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks for your help, everyone. I guess I wasn't really clear in my first post about why I was considering all of these. I'll try to put it into words.

I'm interested in purchasing the best speakers I can (within reason), and I'm willing to wait a while longer to save the money if I think something is better. I guess what I was really asking was whether people felt the differences in price between the different lines of speakers were worth the extra money.

I intend to keep these speakers for a very long time, and I admit that I'm not a huge audiophile, so the differences might not be as noticeable to me as to someone who has been comparing speakers for years.

I suppose I should offer some specifics on my listening environment and how I intend to use the speakers. Right now I live in an apartment, and the room I want to use these in is about 15' x 20'. I would say I'll probably use them for about 60% movies (in a 5.1 or 7.1 setup), and 40% music (probably just 2-channel music for the foreseeable future).

I do still have to go somewhere where I can listen and compare all of these speakers to make a judgment on whether the difference in sound quality is enough to justify the extra money for me. I have a feeling that I might be satisfied with just "entry level" speakers for now.

In any case, thanks again for your help. If you have any other advice, please feel free to offer it.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
We can't decide for you... go listen to each setup and determine for yourself if the price difference is worthwhile.

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael
Well, we can't decide but I would say that setup 2 might be the best economical option. For about another $450 you get a much better speaker. I find the monitor series to be pretty solid and a steal for the price. The monitor series has the Studio tweeter, so that's kinda nice. The price difference between the monitor and the studio line is far greater (almost double) and it would be hard to say the quality is double, but there is a significant and noticable upgrade here. If you can afford the studio series and plan to hold onto the speaker for a while then you may want to consider it. I don't think you'd regret buying the studios, and even if you're not into home audio that much once you get a set of those you might learn to appreciate it a bit more. Anyway, that's my advice, good luck!

- Mike

AlbertL

Agent
If this forum is any indication, I think if you go with the less expensive options, you'll inevitably want to upgrade within a year or less. If your budget permits (and I think it must, or you wouldn't even consider the studio line), go higher end.

I didn't see a subwoofer in your budget, though. You might want to factor that in as well.

Yes, I'm speaking from personal experience :) This is my first post here after lurking for quite a while.

Albert

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Thanks again for yor help, everyone. I have some more thinking to do, and a visit to the B&M to do some more listening is definitely in order. I'm sure I'll be back to let everyone know what I've decided on when the time comes.

Albert: I've pretty much already decided on an SVS for my sub, most likely the PB1-ISD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks