Paradigm in S. Ontario

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_E, Dec 17, 2001.

1. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

If anyone is looking for Paradigm gear in S. Ontario, I recommend Fariview Hi-Fi. I made the trip from the Buffalo area (about 1 hr.), and I spoke with Fabio. He was very knowledgeable and very friendly. They were very busy, but he took the time to let me listen to a few different models.

I ended up getting two pair of Atoms, a CC-170, and a PDR-10 for $1,000 Canadian dollars (~about 17% off list)which converts into $635.00US. I hooked them up on Sunday withmy new VR-509, and I am extremely pleased. I have a few VR-509 setup questions, but I'll start a new thread for that.

This completes my new family room HT:

Sony KV-35S42 35" Trinitron $599.99

JVC S-3800 S-VHS VCR $126.95

Sony DVP-NC600B DVD/CD Chgr. $212.99

Paradigm Setup $635.00

Kenwood VR-509 $301.89 (Incl. S&H from MJSHOW)

Belkin Synapse Cables $85.00 (Got these at Mfg cost)

Add $35 for a SPL meter and the total is $2,000. I think that I did OK on a $2,000.00 budget. Thanks to all of your help.

2. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

Hi John,

Did you pick up your Sony DVD player in the area for that price too, or was it online?

Thanks,

Todd

3. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

For the Sony DVD, there was a deal at my local shop where if you bought anything in November, you got 15% off anything in the store in December. So, I bought the TV when it was on sale in Nov. Then, I went back in December and got the VCR & DVD. The VCR was 148.99 - 15% and the DVD was $249.99 - 15%. Pretty cool?

4. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

What store was this? I'm from Buffalo and will be back this week. I'm helping my buddy's girlfriend get him a DVD player for Christmas and I was going to recommend Stereo Advantage, what with the lifetime service and all.

Thanks again for the reply.

Todd

5. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

It was at Stereo Advantage. I do recommend them, but their salespeople aren't as knowledgeable as they used to be... or maybe I've gotten smarter?*&@!#$

6. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

It could be a little of both, but they definitely aren't as knowledgeable as they used to be. I was in there over Thanksgiving and it was just a bunch of teenagers working there. I was hoping for a serious consultation, and the guy I talked to hadn't even heard of the product I mentioned. I then asked if they could order it, and he said probably not till after Christmas, when the Sony website was offering free second day shipping on the stupid thing at the same time. (I don't think this is the fault of the store, just the sales rep.) The other day I was doing research and got no answer from either their main line or their internet sales department at 4 in the afternoon. They used to have the best prices in town, but now Best Buy and Circuit City are exactly the same.

They still have their repair department going for them, though. With today's megastores and their low prices, the only other thing that the Advantage can do is make sure their staff is more knowledgeable, which shouldn't be too hard, since the people at Best Buy are idiots. But one thing is for certain, they are no longer my one stop shop.

7. Richard_Wg

Richard_Wg Extra

8. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

You are correct. Here's the breakdown:

Atoms $199.99/pair x2

CC170 $199.99

PDR-10 $399.99

Total $999.96

Plus I get the $150 in GST & PST back!!

9. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

John,

Did you get the new Version 3 Atoms and CC-170? If so how do they sound?

Kevin

10. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

John E:

Glad to hear that it worked out for you at Fairview HiFi in Burlington. They are great people to deal with and their prices are outstanding. And for something really outstanding.... they know what they're talking about!

Regards,

Herb.

11. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

They are V.2 but they still sound awesome.

John

12. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I went to Windsor to Live Wire Audio and I was very happy with my experience. I'm not sure how long of a drive it would be for you. I picked up 4 Paradigm Mini Monitors and a CC-370 for about $700 and some change in U.S. currency. If you go ask for Bob, he knew what he was talking about. Tell him I sent you.
    http://livewireaudio.com/
    james

13. lpodoll

lpodoll Extra

I live in Washington State, and am VERY displeased with my local paradigm dealer. Do any Pacific northwest Paradigm fans have any suggestions for dealers in the Seattle or Vancouver, B.C. area? You can email me directly if you don't want to fill up this thread. Thanks, Lee