What's new

Paradigm in S. Ontario (1 Viewer)

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to be purchasing a Paradigm 5.1 setup in the next two weeks. I was wondering:

1)Does anyone have a recommendation for a good dealer in Southern Ontario?

2) What are the CANADIAN list prices for:

Pair of Titans

Pair of Atoms

CC-170

PDR-10

Thanks for your help!!

John

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There are lots of Paradigm dealers in the Toronto GTA area. One that comes to mind is Audio One, located on Steeles Ave. W near Jane St.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
There is a Paradigm dealer in Windsor that people have written good things about. Off hand I can't remember the name. I suggest you find out the area code for Windsor and then visit the Paradigm web-site and go to their dealer finder section.

With the money you can save by purchasing in Canada, I suggest you also consider the Monitor series.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
John_E:

If you're coming up from Buffalo, try Fairview HiFi in Burlington. They are just at the QEW - 403 junction and only 45-50 mins from Buffalo.

They carry a lot of nice stuff including Paradigm. Their prices are very reasonable. Ask for Paul, super guy and very knowledgeable.

They are located at 892 Brant St (at Fairview) in Burlington - (905) 681-1872.

Whatever you do, stay away from East Hamilton Radio in Hamilton. They are expensive, rude and clueless.

Good luck,

Herb Kane.

Bernard L

Stunt Coordinator
hey, is east hamilton radio related to bay-bloor radio?

cuz I goto U.Toronto and frequently visit bay-bloor radio and they have they are also expensive and clueless (not necessarily rude, but not exactly polite either).

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
John,
I will second Fairview HiFi like Herb, even though I haven't dealt with them. I just completed a private sale with Paul for a Marantz AV560 Pre/Pro and would recommened him to deal with. I have to disagree with Herb and suggest you checkout EHR(East Hamilton Radio). I picked up my Paradigm setup from them last year. Dealt with a very freindly salesman named Jason, who sold me Mini Monitors(F/R), CC350 and PS1000 for $1500CDN+tx($1100US). Every audio shop has its ups and downs when it comes to sales people. By checking out both you can play them against each other.
Kevin
www.easthamiltonradio.on.ca
http://www.fairviewhifi.com

Rick P.

Stunt Coordinator
Whatever you do, stay away from East Hamilton Radio in Hamilton. They are expensive, rude and clueless.
I don't know about this. I've bought a couple things from them and was reasonably happy with what I got. They might be expensive if you pay their sticker price, but I never do. When I purchased my Denon 3300 from them they beat everyone else around by at least $250 and actually came within $50 of what A&B Sound (Calgary) could do.

Bay Bloor Radio - there's expensive and rude for you (unless you wear a suit, then they're just expensive).

Kromer Radio in Toronto give a pretty good deal on Paradigm stuff but they have a terrible listening room - surrounded with glass walls. Make sure you know what you want before going in.

Rick

Fabio Z

Auditioning
There is also Whitby Audio/Video, out in (as the name suggests) Whitby, on Brock Street (not Road).

I find their prices better than Audio One.

The other neat thing is that they carry both PSB and Paradigm so you can do side by side comparisons.

BobPeck

Agent
Don't think you got your price question answered, here is what I got (thinking of the same thing for my parents' Christmas present.) All prices are $CAN before any GST, Provincial taxes

Titans: $280/pr

Atoms: $240/pr

CC-170: $250/each

PDR-10: $470/each

Total: $1,240 (about $775 US)

As for Live Wire Audio: I can't recommend them higly enough. Great cutsomer service. Very nice people. Great prices (they will be lower than the list).

I just got a set of Reference Studio's all around with wood: 80's, 20's & a CC. Three hours (each way) of driving saved me nearly 40% from the local dealer who refused to budge off of list. I would never have gone looking elsewhere if they weren't the only dealer in town (with three stores) and refused to move off of list even though I was getting all five at once. . . .

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Couple of East Hamilton Radio stories for you. The first goes back to 1990 when I purchased a 40" Pioneer RPTV (one of the first Pioneer RPTV's just when they entered the market with them). After only having it for a month or two, it gave up the ghost. After sending out two of their servicemen to pick it up, the TV was dropped down the last two stairs from our front porch. The TV was repaired a few weeks later and returned with the same scuff marks which resulted from the fall. EHR would not replace the TV (or the scuffed part at the bottom nor would they make any financial renumeration). They actually sent a repairman with a can of flat black spraypaint to touch up the bottom of the TV where the scuff marks were. Obviously he was thanked and sent on his way quickly after telling me how he intended to make the necessary repair. It was left up to myself to contact Pioneer for the proper replacement parts due to their neglect.

Earlier in the year, I was looking to replace my sub with a Paradigm Servo 15 and went in to find one of their floor units priced at $1750.00. I mentioned to one of the salesmen that the same sub was priced at $1250 new in a box at Fairview (about a 7 minute drive). He told me to bring in a written estimate of the quoted price and they would consider matching it. Operative word here folks; "consider". I told him to call the store as it was no big secret, simply a marked price on a product. He said he didn't have time and the onus was on me to make the arrangements if they were to consider the discounted price. I promptly advised him that I was spending the money regardless and if he wanted a potential sale, his onus theory should be reversed. Needless to say I left drove to Burlington and picked up the Servo for $1200 (an additional $50 bucks cheaper than their marked price).

In June I was in the market for a new pair of mains and I had decided on the MartinLogan Ascents. I went into EHR and their "discounted price" was still almost $1000 bucks more than the Fairview price. And, they will not allow any gear to be taken for demo purposes. Fairview allowed me to take the Ascents for a week (and the Servo earlier in the year) with nothing more than my phone number being left.

I won't even mention the time (approximately 3 years ago when I was looking for my Sharp FPTV projector). It was analogous to watching Carrot Top explaining the properties of inertia.

The demographic makeup of Hamilton is very unique in that much of the city is very blue collar. EHR is pretty much the "only game in town"..... and they know it. There is a very nice little shop in Dundas specializing in very high end gear. Therefore, those of us who do want relatively nice gear must travel to Burlington, Mississauga or Toronto.

The choice is yours but frankly, I wouldn't buy batteries for a remote at EHR.

Regards,

Herb.

KevinGS

Stunt Coordinator
Since you are coming from Buffalo, I would try to check out

something in Niagara Falls or St.Catherines, if not, then Hamilton and Burlington are your next stops.

I've had decent service at East Hamilton Radio but like other guys have said, it all depends on the particular salesperson you end up with. Most only see you as a dollar sign, few actually care about your personal interests.

Don't tell them you are from out of town or they may not be so inclined to give you a better deal, just tell them you are checking different places out to get the best deal.

Good Luck!

I purchased a pair of titans and CC-170 a few months ago and I can't beleive the sound. With the current status of the canadian dollar I think it is the best buy.:)

GHarv

Auditioning
This might help you out. This sunday at Gibby's Electronics in Saint Catharines there is a private no tax sale at 6pm. I mentioned it's private(they give tickets to suckers like me who bought alot with tax), but the last private sale I went to there they didn't ask for the tickets at all. If you can make it, I would definitely check it out. They've got all the Paradigms you could wish for at no tax and their original price wasn't too bad (ex. 250 for titans, 220 for atoms). I doubt you will be able to haggle much, but the prices will be good all the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks