What's new

Paradigm Heirarchy Pyramid? (1 Viewer)

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
Forgive me if this has already been posted a billion times, but I used the search button and couldn't find my answer.

I was wondering if you guys could give me the low down on Paradigm speakers. What is their best series, and what is the worst. I will be using some paradigms for movies/gaming in the near future (after I pick which ones I want) and wanted to make sure I make the right decision. I will also be using a Harman Kardon AVR 430 reciever.

Incase any of you decide to be really nice and piece together a setup for me, my budget is currently $2,000 CAD (price must including 7% canadian sales tax).

Thanks alot everyone.

Nick Breckon

Stunt Coordinator
As far as I know, currently, the Studio series is their top of the line, and the Monitors are more mid-range. The Signature series was just announced, but aren't being sold yet.

All I can tell you is, I recently bought Studio 40's for fronts, CC for center and 20's for the rears, and they've blown me away. Using them with a HK AVR525. I thought about going with larger floor-standing Monitors early on, but I'm really glad I didn't. The SVS sub I'm getting will take care of bass, and the sound quality of the Studio's are stunning. All depends on what you're going to be using them for more. If you think movies more than music, then I think larger floor standing speakers probably aren't the way to go.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
The new Signature is now the top of the line. They are being sold. My dealer can order them and will have them in-house in a few weeks, or so they told me.

There are also several people floating around the forums that have them already.

I too went for the Studio line. 100's-front, 570-center, 40's-surround+surround rear. These go well with my B4+.

I am a tower fan so I always will say go for the towers. :)

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Signature (they are for sale now)
Studio
Monitor
Performance
Cinema

Check out www.paradigm.ca for a local dealer. As for a system for 2Gs, if it were my money I would buy 4 Mini Monitors ($900) and a CC370 ($450) and save a bit more for a PW2200 ($1000) or an SVS.

FWIW I have auditioned most paradigms and you cant go wrong with any of them IMO. I have minis, mon3s and the cc370 with an EBS tempest.

cabreau

Second Unit
Nothing that Paradigm makes is considered "worst". :)

Signatures are the best. But they are out of God's price range even.
Studios are really good, but they are also a bit pricy...you may have to trade up to them. (I've got Studio 20's front, CC-470 center, and 4 Atoms for the surroun duty, PW-2200 for the sub).
Monitors are good, but smear the highs a little compared to the Studios.
Performance series are good (I can vouch for Atoms, CC-170, and PDR-10).
I haven't heard the cinema series.

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
I'm thinking about going with anything from "System One" to "System Six" in Paradigm's recommended setups.
h t t p://w w w.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SystemChoice/systems . h t m l
(take out the spaces :) )

So far the System 6 looks real nice. With the CC270, ADP170, and PS1200 woofer.

-edit-
Question, how much is the PS1200 woofer? It doesn't give prices for individual speakers on the website, at least that I could find.

Levesque

Supporting Actor
I own a pair of S8 since 1 month.

C5 coming soon. They are out. And the sound is incredible. :D :D :D

I own a pair of Studio-100v2, Studio-40v3 Studio-20v3 and a CC-570 also.

The difference is not that big for HT. But for music, the Signatures are in a completely different league.

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
Holy crap. I just realised the prices on paradigm.CA are American. Why do they list american prices for a Canadian company on a canadian website?

Anyhow, that limits me to System 3. So that's what I will get I guess.
:)

-edit-
Alright, so my HKAVR430 does 65watts x 7 channels. That means 91 watts for 5 channels, right? So what happens with these Paradigm Focus'? THey say tey have a max power input of 70 watts. Will my reciever blow them, or is that some other special rating?

cabreau

Second Unit
Just get the Atom setup. Atoms in the front, Atoms for surrounds, CC-170, and the PDR-10. It's an outstanding combo and it's got great bang for the buck.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay

If you spend a bit more, you can get the Titans in the front. The rest of the setup is identicle to what I have and I agree this package is great bang for the buck for the budget conscious!

cabreau

Second Unit
If you get the Atoms, they are perfectly Timbre matched to the CC-170 and the surrounds. The complete setup is timbre matched.

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
After meeting with a local dealer, we have hammered out a pretty good system, for what I think is a good price.

Two monitor 5's for fronts
A CC370 for a center channel
Two Mini Monitors for Surrounds
A PDR 12 for a subwoofer.

For $2,000 CAD.
:)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I would probably go for better fronts worse surrounds, but that would be a very nice setup. I had mini-monitors as mains for a year and they are very nice speakers.

The signatures are also extremely nice, though I have mixed reactions to the new studios after hearing them. They are very nice, but unique, I guess you might say.

I'd look at the PW2200 or servo15 as the sub too, I might drop down on the surrounds to bump up to that sub. People will recommend SVS too, but you are in canada which give a price advantage towards digm, and away from SVS/HSU with duties, so the cost and performance may end up very similar, or closer than it would be in the US, anyway.

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestion. I was wondering about the sub, as it seems to be the "High end of the low end" paradigms.

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
I have studio 60v2 fronts, studio cc(v2) and studio ADP(v2). No regrets at all. I matched them with an SVS 20-39PC+. Cant speak for the current v3's, but heard good things via word of mouth.

If you are on a budget, highly consider buying previously owned speakers. Go on this home theater forums hardware sale forum or try audiogon.com. Many people get upgrade'itis and you can find studio line Paradigm for 23-30% off msrp.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Merimac, does your dealer have any buy now pay later plans? For $3100CDN I got Studio(v3) 40/20/470 and free Pardigm Premier series stands. You could put the $2G down and pay off the balance over a year. When I first got into HT I had Paradigm Mini's(F/R)/CC350/PS100. Excellent setup in its own right. But the Studio's just blow it away. If you can go the Studio line do it. Where in Canada are you located?

Kevin

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions fellas. Used speakers really give me the heebee jeebees though. I am sure there are some perfectly fine ones, but I just don't trust anyone but myself with my own speakers.

I may just try that buy now pay later, I will have to check into it.

I am currently located in Calgary, Alberta.

JonathanOh

Agent
I have Studio 20s and Minis. I like each very much. Minis are IMO 80% of the goodness of the studios for half the price.

I have no doubts you will be happy with the monitor line.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks