Paradigm guys check my setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Jay, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Brad Jay

Brad Jay Agent

After going back and forth on speakers and seeing the many recommendations on this site I am thinking of going with these.

Monitor 11 = fronts

CC370 = center

Mini Monitor = rears

Denon 3802

SVS 20-39CS+

I am 70%HT 30% music. My room is 20x25x8 with an 8 foot opening to the kitchen. Feel free to give me your honest opinions as this will be my first HT setup.

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I think this is a good setup, but with such a capable sub, consider going with monitor 7s instead of 11s and put the difference towards a second pair of mini monitors for a 6/7.1 setup.

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

You will be in Paradigm, Denon, SVS heaven, enjoy.[​IMG]

4. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Brad:
    Very nice looking setup. Charles' advice is relatively sound, though I would recommend stepping down to the Monitor 9, not the 7. Of course, its just my opinion [​IMG] but I find the Monitor 9 to be substantially better than the 7. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I find the 7s to be one of the underperformers in the Monitor series.
    /Jeff

5. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Screenwriter

I echo the recommendation for the 9s over the 7s. I would put the money saved toward some ADP-170s or ADP-370s for surround. I much prefer the dipoles for more theater-like surround.

Mark

6. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Do a search on the monitor 9s before making a final decision. Many members hear prefer the 7s over the 9s because the 8" woofers in the 9s are too boomy. This is why I went with the 7s (the 11's werent out at the time it was the 70p and the 90p if you went above the 9s)

7. Brad Jay

Brad Jay Agent

You guys are giving me some great feedback! If I go with dipoles for the rears do I use mini monitors in the middle for a 6/7.1 setup.

I was leaning towards the tower 11's for the fronts because they sounded more "full" to me but I might bring some base heavy tracks with me when I go back for my final decision.

I will do a search on the monitor 9's and 11's because I'm more concerned with the sound quality since the price difference between the two isn't enough to sway me.

Thanks for all the great replies.

8. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Having owned the ADP-170s and traded them for direct radiating Mini Monitors, I feel that dipoles sound absoulutly great, phenominal, unbeatable in about 20% of applications and the rest of the time they're just a bitch to place. This is my opinion of course.

9. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Brad,
    Undoubtedly, those Digm combos are a really fine matching 5-speaker system, but let's rethink how we get there. I went with the Monitor 9s, listening in the store, after demoing two B&W 601s at home. At the time I had no subwoofer.
    Now I was coming from the old school of 3-way stereo speakers. I felt the 601s lacked bass. They did, but again there wasn't a sub in the mix. So I ordered the Monitor 9s, and I liked Digm's light cherry wood, too. From the buzz on this forum I thought I really wanted the Studio 60s, but at the time my dealer didn't have the franchise.
    The Monitor 9s are no shrinking violets. They certainly tower and weigh 47 lbs apiece! They need a fairly large room not to look overwhelming; I have them 14in from the wall in my living room.
    Now that I have an SVS 25-31PC sub, however, I might not have gone with these towers. Today, I probably would lean to Studio 40s, if not the Studio 60s.
    After setting the 5 speakers to SMALL, per the conventional thinking, I went thru the typical worry about "wasting" the towers' low-range capabilities. But the subwoofer carries the HT and musical load just dandy! And the towers set to SMALL supposedly coast better in the midrange.
    One advantage to towers is that one can reset them to LARGE for 2-channel or stereo listening. But I never do. If you prefer to tweak-and-adjust your system every time you pop in a CD, turn on TV broadcast, or watch DVD, then towers give you this flexibility. But will you really go here, and will your family want to get involved with continual speaker setting? Probably not.
    The Monitors with CC-370 and 2 Mini-monitors in cherry wood cost me some $1,400. A Studio 40 system may go for $2,000 or so, I'm not certain, depending on black or veneer. But this may be a consideration: the mains won't look so huge if SAF plays here, the Studios are a step up in Paradigm's line, and you'll still have a fully integrated speaker system with the fabulous SVS 20.
    For another view, see Massimo's post here
    Bill "I'm getting an Anthem MCA5 power amplifier" Kane's 2-cents.

10. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Brad:

If sound quality is the primary concern, stick with the 11s. They are definitely better than the 9s.

/Jeff

11. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Make a decision on what you'll run your fronts as:

large or small?

Then pick your front speakers.

IMO, with an SVS+ sub, I would run fronts small, and hence I would pick Mon 7's.

12. Costas

Costas Extra

I would just get 4 pairs of Mini-Monitors, and run them as 'small', letting the SVS do what it does best. This way, you get a seamless front, side, and rear soundstage, and are ready for 8.1 [​IMG]
    Just get at least one pair with the Magna-Sheild option so your center won't mess up you TV's color. You'll need at least one set of speaker stands for the fronts, and maybe another for the sides and rears, depending on your layout.
    I agree on the 6.5" drivers (Mini's, Monitor 5's, 7's...) sounding better than the 8" driver.
    I would also consider the HarmonKardon line of recievers, as well the Denon. I've found that my HK PA-5800 amps sound great with my Monitor 5/Mini-Monitor set-up. YMMV of course.

13. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Well, I will echo my usual advise when someone is considering buying tower speakers in the Monitor line with a good sub. Seriously demo Reference Studio 40's and 60's. All you will get with the Monitor 9's or 11's over the Studio 60's is a few hz of additional effective base extension. In every other conceivable way, the Studio speakers will sound superior, for the same money. And keep in mind that the sub you have chosen will handle your base exceedingly well.

14. Brad Jay

Brad Jay Agent

Several posts here have told me to also demo the reference 40 and 60's since my mains will be set to small, which brings up another question.

If I go with 60's for mains would I go with 40's for sides and 20's for rears. What about a matching center?

Thanks again Brad

15. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Brad:

Yes, you would get the Studio CC center which runs about $100 more than the cc-370. I recommend Studio ADP (dipoles which match the Studio series) as sides, and probably Studio 20's as rears. That would be a phenomenal HT setup.

16. matthew_d_H

matthew_d_H Auditioning

hello everyone. this is my first post after a few months of lurking. i'm a newbie and i've learned a great deal from all your posts. i've decided to upgrade my long atiquated system. i've decided on a denon 3802 and i'm looking for speakers similar to the first post on this thread. i almost discarded the thought of getting 4 pargdigm mini monitors and a cc-370 until reading these posts. the reason is that according to the paradigm webstie, the mini's say the "suitable amplifier power range is between 15 and 100 watts" and the "maximum imput power as 80 watts". the denon 3802 is rated at 110 watts x 7, so i figured this may be a bad idea. i am a newbie, so i'm wondering if i'm missing something here or is this an oversight. thanks in advance for your help. matthew

17. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Matthew, welcome to HTF...another early riser...

Your proposed Denon 3802 and Paradigm MiniMonitors/CC-370 would be highly workable. It's generally preferable to have an "oversupply" of amp power to provide more headroom to handle the peaks without distortion. That's why many people eventually add a big, separate power amp, say 165wpc to 200wpcX5, to their 100wpc receivers and hope to find a bigger soundstage and better imaging.

At normal listening level, an amp may be putting out just 6 watts or so. So to reach the Minis 80-watt maximum, you'd have to crank the volume/gain control to MAX (unwise for speakers and ears) before clipping (distortion).