Paradigm Focus Vs Titans

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jonny*D, May 13, 2005.

1. Jonny*D

Jonny*D Agent

Anyone own the Focus and use them up front?
    Vs Titan

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Focus is pretty good, but IMO, if you are going to already spend more than the Titans, then you might as well just bite the bullet and go for the Minis. You're spending a bit more now, but you will not be upgrading as soon either.

Other thoughts might be the EPOS ELS-3 (see: http://hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=522 ), Mordaunt Short MS-902 (see: www.ac4l.com ), or the RS150 at AV123.

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I second that!

If you like paradigm the Minis will not disappoint you. I cant say enough about them, Unfortunately I couldn't AB them in home with some of the other brands I auditioned but I sure I made the right choice.

4. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I shopped and shopped and shopped. My money went to the Focus. I have not had one regret on the move since. I demoed the Titan, and the Mini.
    I went back the third time and A/B'd vs. the MInis. For the extra cash, I really expected to LOVE the Mini over the Focus. That just wasn't the case. I really thought the Focus was more spatial. The Mini also really takes a good quality receiver to really shine, and my aged 5.1 is no showcase. For the extra, spend it on the cc270, You'll be glad you did.

5. GregoriusM

GregoriusM Second Unit

Amen to what Kevin said.

I have a Paradigm setup with the Titans for mains, the CC-170 for center, and the ADP-170's for surround.

I "upgraded" to the Monitor 5's after listening to the Mini Monitors. I expected the 5's to be even better than the Mini's.

After getting them home, I found the highs to be harsh and too bright in the Paradigm Monitor 5's, and am returning them and getting the Focus to take the place of my Titans and upgrading the CC-170 for the CC-270 to match the drivers of the Focus.

So, I say go with the Focus and its 1" tweeter, and better imaging and depth, and get the CC-270 center to match, just as Kevin said.

IMHO!

My next step will be going to mains that are 5 times the price (something like Vienna Acoustics Haydns), since I find that even the Paradigm Studios are much too bright for me and my new Rotel 1056 receiver.

YMMV!

Let us know what you end up with, please!

Greg