Paradigm Drivers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by cabreau, Jan 28, 2004.

1. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I have two big old 1980's Sanyo 3-way tower speakers. They have 10" woofers, a 3-4" midranges, and some weird tweeter that you can't see because it's behind some sort of heat spreader that points down (weird). They also have some sort of adjustable tone dial. I'm wondering if I can purchase JUST Paradigm Studio drivers fairly cheaply to match the rest of my Paradigm system with. I know the shape and size of the box will change the sound a bit, but I figured...it's just sitting there, I have to do something with it. And why not start a DIY .5 project. If I can't get Paradigm drivers for cheap, does anyone have suggestions about where I can get good drivers for it online so that I can build it myself? I plan on packing some insulation in there if there isn't any already.

Thanks guys (and girls).

2. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

I checked one time about replacing some broken tweeters (shipping damage) on some older Esprit Bipolar towers (old reference line) and they were $100 a piece!!

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

cabreau....sorry I didn't answer your e-mail. Pretty hectic here yesterday. Check out the DIY and advanced projects forum here at HTF. A lot of people over there have built some pretty amazing things and know more than probably a lot of the manufactors [​IMG]. We will have to learn from them before we tackle out DIY subs this summer [​IMG].

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The cabinets are not designed to work with the 'Digm drivers, so I don't think it will work well. The drivers will be quite expensive as well...and since they make all their own drivers, good luck trying to purchase some for a project. Not to mention you have to consider the crossovers as well, since they need to be tailored to the design as well.

Good drivers for cheap: www.partsexpress.com

5. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

Those weird tweeters are nothing but a paper cone tweeter hiding behind the plastic grill (they are trying to give it a mystique look).

Save up your money to buy some real speakers. You then could give them up to a someone you know or donate them [​IMG]

6. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

TanT, I already HAVE some Paradigm Studio speakers, I was just going to fool around with these big honking 80s style speakers and see what I could do. I'll probably just measure them out and look on parts express for some replacements.

These speakers used to sound REALLY good (in the 80s)...Sanyo...can you believe it? Anyway, I figured I'd mess around with them.

7. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Ok...here's the deal.
    The speakers are Sansui. The woofer is a 12", the mid is a 5" and the tweeter is a 2". Any suggestions for brand and model of driver to replace these with?

Crossed over at 9k and 1.5k

Pics should be linked here.

SansuiWithGrill

SansuiWithOutGrill

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

cabreau: That "heat spreader" thing--does it by chance happen to look like these? This is called an acoustic lens & is used to help disperse high frequencies in a wider pattern.

And paper cone tweeters are not the junk that many people believe them to be, if constructed properly. Their only truly bothersome problem is lack of wide dispersion. But "back in the day" designers liked them--even when a dome tweeter was available to them--because they can be crossed over lower than the typical dome tweeter & can absorb more power. I had a pair of the original Baby Advents (1984) for fourteen years that used Advent's own special cone tweeter and I never noticed any obvious high frequency shortcomings.

That level control can be handy if a particular room the speaker is in has no rug, drapes or other sound absorbing materials (i.e. a "bright" or "loud" room); this way you can tailor the speaker to the room. Many, many speakers all the way to the late 1980s had these but I'm not sure why they stopped using them (Cerwin-Vega still uses them in their "E" Series).

Replacing speakers: the other guys are right. For the very best sound, a set of speakers needs to have a crossover designed specifically for that combination of drivers. If this can't be done, sound quality can still be good but just not AS good.

And PartsExpress has tons of cheap but good quality replacement speakers that would sound good in that enclosure.

Good luck!

LJ

9. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Yes, they "looked" like those until I RIPPED them off, RAAAAAARGHGHGHG with my bare hands. I'll replace it with a dome tweeter. [​IMG]

They sound like crap. I hooked them up to my HK 330 and they were just AWEFUL. Hopefully I'll be able to find what I need on Partsexpress.

10. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    Sure, just grab some high quality tweets and woofers off partsexpress. They have nice Vifa and ScanSpeak stuff there. Of course that old cabinet of yours might not be braced well or too thick. It would also be nice to know what the crossovers are set to so you can buy something close.