What's new

Paradigm decision...help :( (1 Viewer)

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm taking the plunge into HT and am about to get my first set of "decent" fronts. I've never had anything close to that and I am currently looking at Paradigm monitor 9's. However, the place I am looking at also has some demo priced Paradigm Studio's as they are anticipating the v3's. So, I understand Studio's probably are better, but I'm still split as the Monitor 9's are cheaper.

Any advice? Thanks!

Steve_D

Second Unit
Studios, period, put the Monitors to shame.

Listen to them A-B, and make your own decision.

I assume you have a decent sub, or plan on getting one?

Of course, I'm biased having both Studio 40's v2 and Studio 20's v1 for sale :) But, regardless, when I bought them I had the same decision ot make, large Monitors versus Studios, and the A/B spoke for itself.

My advice? Buy mint used when talking mid-hi-fi or better speakers and amps. More speaker or amp for the money, great re-sale %, both will last a long time with proper care.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

you "understand" that the studios are "probably" better.

:/

Go listen. Gotta go listen. I'm not gonna tell you what to buy, but I will say that small or large, Paradigm dishes out bass very nicely, so that if you're dealing with a small studio 20 versus a large floorstanding monitor series speakers, the 20 will still stand it's own, besides having a much improved sound. Go audition them side by side (and quick as the V3s are rolling in and the V2s will run out). If you intend or already have a sub then its a no-brainer to step up for the better sound, IMO. It is always my personal bias to get the better bookshelf, instead of the slightly worse floorstander with prodigious bass. This is personal, and while a lot of people may be with me, only you can decide whether that trade-off is worth it. Go listen.

I'm biased towards paradigm in general, I have mini-monitors, but studio series is my upgrade path, hopefully just a week or so away... i'm drooling in anticipation... gtg :D

Ron_L

Second Unit
i listened to the monitor 11's vs the studio 60's (v2 ) and that sold me on the studio 60's.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
During a Local HTF Meet that was held at my house back in Feb., MikeRP brought his Studio 40's to compare against my Monitor 7's. No doubt about it, the Studio's sounded much better!!

Cary_H

Second Unit
When I went to check out Paradigms the sales guy simply shrugged at their Monitor display in the store as we walked by, saying something like, "those are just their Monitor series". I didn't need him to elaborate further.
I have a pair of the 60s up front with 20s back. If you opt for the 20s, don't skimp on your sub, especially if your listening interests lean more to the music side.
In addition, don't buy them with the laminate finish without at least seeing them in veneer.

Eric Mitchell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. I knew some of you would consider it a silly question but I had to ask. Just put in a nice pair of studio 60's, v2, laminate. Not my first choice for covering, but they will fit into my system just as well as some rosewoods. And, they were the last pair. Yes, its taking a chance at never finding a fully compatible center or rears, but the price was great. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks