PARADIGM dealers in Montreal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eujin, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Hi all,

I'm going up to Montreal for the weekend and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good Paradigm dealer in the city. I've already looked at Paradigm's dealer locator and I know there's one dealer on the street that I'll be staying on (Sherbrooke st.) but I was wondering if any locals have had good experiences with particular dealers? I'm looking at upgrading my Monitor 5v.2 to Studio 20s or 40s.

Alternatively, I might be looking into floorstanders--PSB Bronzes maybe? So any PSB recommendations would be appreciated too, although I suspect that I'll stay within the Paradigm family as all my other speakers are from them as well. Thanks in advance!

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I would recommend Codell Audio, www.codellaudio.com. I stopped by there last summer while in Montreal visiting relatives (my cousin's husband used to work there). Friendly, knowledgeable staff. Great product lines (Rotel, Paradigm, Dynaudio).

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Eujin, check out St. Hubert Radio. I talked to Nick up there and he gave me a very good deal on my Paradigm's. It's a small shop, but I did notice that they are also an Anthem and Monitor Audio dealer...two very good lines. Not sure what the phone number is, but you can get it off the sonic frontiers website...www.sonicfrontiers.com.
    Good luck!!!
    BTW, I bought a pair of 20's and 40's from St. Hubert. They especially gave me a good deal on my CC.

4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Evan,

Would you mind telling me what they gave you for the 40s and 20s? I was thinking of getting 20s because they're cheaper, but if the difference is small enough, I might move up to the 40s. Thanks!

5. Louis D

Louis D Agent

Careful when coming back across the border. I ordered My monitors from toronto, and customs gave me a hard time, as well as almost made me pay duty on them. If you purchase anything in Canada for more than 400 bucks, they make you pay a duty tax, on top of the 15% GST and PST. however, you can get some of that tax back at duty free. Weird, very weird..[/size][/font]

6. Louis D

Louis D Agent

7. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Louis, I hate to disagree with you in this respect but maybe our experiences are different because you ordered yours and I actually went to Canada to get mine.

In my experience, I purchased $4400 (Canadian), which comes to $2754 (US) worth of electronics up in Canada. When I got to the border, duty was never discussed. Because Quebec does not reimburse the PST, I only got the GST reimbursed at the border, but I didn't have to pay duty at all. NAFTA assures this. All you have to do is tell the border guard you are from the US and bought Canadian Electronics in Canada. If you buy US or Japanese electronics in Canada they WILL hit you with Duty upon re-entry, but not if you just get Canadian stuff. At least they definately should NOT.

Eujin, the deals I got on the 40's and 20's were not spectacular..you could do better, but I got great deals on an Anthem MCA5 power amp and the Studio CC, so it came out in the wash.

I paid $1050 Canadian (currently $619 US) for the 40's in Lt. Cherry Veneer and $850 (currently $501) for the 20's also in the Lt. Cherry Veneer. Definately worth the effort to drive to Montreal for them. And, you can probably get them to go a bit lower I think.

8. Louis D

Louis D Agent

I knew there was a catch, and that it is GST and not PST even when coming throught the Province of Ontario. I wasn't sure about the hitch about Canadian in Canada onto US soil. However, still doesn't explain why customs is giving me such a hard time. Hmm... I will have to mention that they are Canadian products and see if that makes a difference. i was pretty sure about the NAFTA agreement, but I thought it was on all products above 400 exported out of Canada.. Thx for the clarification.[/size][/font]