What's new

Paradigm Cinema Series or Definitive Technology Procinema speakers? (1 Viewer)

Mike Kao

Second Unit
I was at 6th ave electronics today, the only authorized paradigm & def tech reseller around my area. So I checked out all the satelliate speakers and narrowed down my search to the new Paradigm cinema's for $148/pair and Def Tech Procinema 80's for $225/pair. From what I heard, the procinema's sounded better, but I did not get a chance to test them more than I would have liked to. Perhaps someone else can offer their feedback on these two speakers? Right now I'm leaning more towards the def tech's, but I really don't know if I'm willing to drop 225 bones on a pair of sattelite speakers...

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Mike: If I gave you a scoop of Bryers Chocolate Ice Cream, and a scoop of Dryers Chocolate Ice Cream, could you tell which one is better?
They are both good-quality ice-cream, but you will prefer one and someone else will prefer the other. This is because you each have different tastes.
Judging speakers has the same problem. It depends upon your taste.
Both of these speakers are in a similar class & price-range. Both have a good reputation. If the ProCinema sounded better to you, buy them. If not, you will get the Paradigm's home and after a few weeks you will constantly wonder if you made a mistake buying the wrong units.
If I were you I would go back to the store and take some favorite music CD's you are familar with. (Music can often expose differences in speakers that a DVD cannot).
Do a audition with YOUR music. If the ProCinema's still sound better on the second audition, buy them.
Good Luck.

Mike BB

Auditioning
Mike,
A little off your original question, but I feel I must chime in. Be careful buying at 6th Ave. I've had some decent experiences with them and some horrible ones. Decent ones being me knowing what I want and not taking no for an answer, bad ones being your typical bait & switch type tactics. I try to avoid them when I can. Try Rabson's on Route 4 W in Paramus. No Def Tech, but they carry the whole Paradigm line, as well as some other lines in your range. And the listening environment(they'll be happy to let you sit and listen to what you want for as long as you like, and it's quiet unlike 6th Ave when I've been there)is much more conducive to making the right decision.
That said, why not listen to the Paradigm Atoms? I started out looking at the Cinema series, listened to the Atoms, and never thought twice about the Cinemas. They're cheaper than the Def Tech at ~$180 a pair.
Finally, like Bob said, trust your ears. When you make the decision that sounds right, you'll forget all about whether you saved $50 or spent $100 more than you anticipated. (BTW, I got the Monitor 5's, and never regretted spending ~$300 more than I anticipated.)
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks