What's new

Paradigm Center Speaker cc370 problem (1 Viewer)

Kathy C.

Agent
My Paradigm cc370 center doesn't sound clear. My system is:

Sony KPHW 40 50"
P. Mini's --fron
P. Titan's-back
Denon 2802 receiver
12 gauge wire
PDR 10 sub

We've had this system up for about 2+ years, and I bought most new from retailers, but some over ebay. This speaker came from ebay, boxed as new, still in plastic, foam, etc. It has always had a little bit of an unclear sound, fuzzy timbre and not as clear as the other speakers. I always feel I have to turn up the volume to understand the words. We figured the problem involved the settings. Now, by college-son wants it fixed, NOW. Any suggestions about making sure the settings are correct. I knew all about this when I set it up and researched everything to death, but now, I'm a little fuzzy myself on everything. I was going to call a retailer in Dallas, but I figured they'd not be happy with my ebay purchase.

Thanks,
Kathy

so many options.

i had a cc370 a few years ago and the tweeter went bad. it became worse over time, but very fast nonetheless. although, it was muffled, and not fuzzy.

set your denon receiver settings to defaults. speakers to small, sub to yes, and all channel levels to zero. (no + or -) still a problem?

put one of your mini monitors in the center channel position and see if you notice the same sonic characteristics? still a problem?

can you take the cc370 to the dealer and have them try it out? it's much easier to diagnose that way.

e-mail paradigm's tech support. you can get the info from paradigm's website. paradigm's tech support will assist in providing a new tweeter, etc.

i also had a bad solder joint on BOTH of my mini monitors. i would not be surprised if something is wrong with the speaker (maybe obvious already to you).

Kathy C.

Agent
thanks for the input--we tried the mini and it sounds GREAT!! what a difference. We took the speaker in and it was a bad tweeter. since I'm out of warranty, is this something I can replace myself? How much does a tweeter run from paradigm?
Kathy

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
warranty is out because of purchasing from ebay??

i ask because the 370 has like a 5 year warranty or something like that. i purchased mine from a authorized dealer and i swear he said i have 5 year warranty on it.

im sure you can purchase the tweeter directly from paradigm.......

i do not have permission to post links because of my low post count.

go to paradigm's website.
paradigm
dot
com

click on Paradigm Site, click on Tech Support and you'll see an e-mail address towards the top left.
e-mail them and tell them your situation. i believe (gary?) will help you purchase a new tweeter through their supplier. you can Private Message me if you want an idea of price. i think i remember how much it cost me, but i won't post $ on the site.

just wanted to add the following as it seemed you had reservations about contacting a dealer...
you were unsure about dealing with the folks in dallas. don't be afraid to e-mail paradigm. they won't close the door on you.

yes, it's very simple to replace. just unscrew the tweeter enclosure. you'll see two wires going into the sides of it. you'll pop the new one in there and hook up it all the same. no more fuzzies. :)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

Email Tech Support at Paradigm and explain your situation. You say you've had the speaker for 2yrs so Paradigm may still honor your claim, otherwise they should be able set you up with a new one.

Kevin

Kathy C.

Agent
this is very encouraging.....but I don't think I bought the speaker from an authorized dealer..just an individual. I'll check with paradigm about the possibility of any warranty help. the replacement of the tweeter has got to be less than replacing the whole speaker!! I"ll let you know the outcome.
K.

Kathy C.

Agent
I emailed paradigm--"gary" replied that I did not have a warranty and to purchase a tweeter through an authorized dealer. So....guess I'll have to pay a little more and go that route.
Thanks for your input.
Kathy

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Kathy, I have a similar tweeter problem, and will be emailing Paradigm today. I'll let you know how it goes.

My tweeter has distinct buzz, especially on male voices, at moderate (well below reference) levels and I'm thinking it needs replacing.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Just an FYI, the buzzing on the V3 monitors is caused by the diaphragm plate vibrating against the faceplate. I have taken 2 V3 speakers in to get replaced and the noise eventually came back. I have had it happen to 2 cc370s and a mini. I took them apart carefully and put lube between all the parts and reassembled and the noise never came back.

Kathy C.

Agent
my problem is not buzzing, but a muffled sound. It checked out as the tweeter. I'll remember your fix for the buzzing
....just in case

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
I have a similar question about my 370, but it's more like clipping or a resonating type of vibration. On deep voices that scream, there's vibration (or slight distortion) at the peak of the tone. Is there a test that can be done to determine if it's the tweeter? Like playing a sweep or something? My dealer would need the speaker dropped off for a day or two to check it, I'd rather verify a problem or not myself.

Jeff-0

Stunt Coordinator
I used the cc-370 with great success, it handled everything i could throw at it. Voices were always spot on and clear.

Weilin_S

Grip
If you are near me, zip 47906. I can help you to get a tweeter from my loacl dealer. I have a receipt for CC370. However, my dealer wants to check the speaker before they order a tweeter for me.

Rick Lyon

Stunt Coordinator
GrahamT
- I read your post, sounds interesting and my be my problem as well. Can you elaborate on the 'lube' you used? And did you put it between the tweeter and the star shaped faceplate?

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
yes would like to hear what lube you used too incase I ever had a problem.

I am glad I have never had problems with any of my version 3 Paradigms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks