What's new

Paradigm center channel (1 Viewer)

JamesTay

Auditioning
I am in the process of building a HT system. The system will be used equally for music and movies. I currently have the paradigm studio 20's as fronts, atoms as rears, and a yamaha rvf1400 as reciever. Since I am using the smallest studion speakers as my mains should I shill get a paradigm cc470 or is that overkill. The cc370 is much cheaper, but I don't know if it will sound right with the studio 20's as my mains. Thanks for the advice.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I had the same issue when deciding on the Boston Acoustics VRC or VR-MC to accompany my VR-M60s up front. I auditioned the two and though there was a discernable difference, I went with the less expensive VRC as it has the matching tweeter. I felt confident that I could tweak it to blend with my mains (others have said they've done so successfully). If the other centre was closer in price, or significantly better sounding to my ears, I'd have taken it but I couldn't justify an extra 200$ for such a slight difference. Bottom line, if price is no issue, get the 470 (nice line, the Studios BTW, I nearly got them myself, just got a better deal on the Bostons--the two were a coin toss to me in sound, better bass with Bostons, better highs with Studios, very slight overall difference, but I digress), otherwise, I think you could successfully tweak the 370 into your system. Keep in mind they have different tweeters and my be more difficult to tweak than mine. Before you make any decision, though, AUDITION them. Good luck and happy listening.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You cannot tweak the 370 to match the 20s. If you are even a somewhat critical listener, you will want the 470.

Ben Stern

Stunt Coordinator
The 470 is timbre matched to the 20's. Getting the 370 would be penny wise and dollar foolish. You will end up replacing it eventually.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
Is there that much of a difference between the cc470 and cc370? Like Paul, I have Boston speakers (although mine are the CR line). I've used both the CRC (matching center) and current VRC. I consider myself a critical listener and my wife, a music teacher, is very critical. I've had no problem matching either of these centers. Can I tell a difference between these two centers? Absolutely! I wouldn't have paid twice as much for the VRC if I couldn't tell the difference. However, both create a very nice sound stage.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
CC470. It's just a matter of time...

Or of criteria. Depending upon how discerning or critical you'll be when listening, you could get the 370 and things will sound OK - the 370 is a very decent speaker. If you never use Avia or VE to calibrate & set up, you might not ever notice much difference.

But - you will notice, and the likely proof of that is already sitting right in front of you. You probably purchased the Studio 20s because of the sound, because you could tell that difference. If so, then when you set up your system you'll likely hear that cc370 and the slight but definite differences with the 20s. And that difference will keep calling to you & you'll hear that difference more and more until you have to do something about it. That something is the CC470. And that calling to you has a name, and it's called upgradeitis. Save the aggravation of selling the 370 later by just getting the CC470 now. It's calling to you - you must listen, you must obey...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks