What's new

Paradigm CC370 Center Question (1 Viewer)

Michael_V

Second Unit
My CC370 center sounds terrible. Very bassy compared to the monitor 7 fronts. Sounds like the dialogue is being spoken inside a box.

The speakers are being driven by a Sony 30ES (soon to be replaced with the HK 8000) with no EQ or added settings. The center is set to SMALL. Polarity and levels have been checked and set using an SPL and AVIA.

I am worried that the tweeter might be blown. Anyone know what I can to do investigate this?

Thanks,
Mike

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
It is possible that the tweeter is blown. That receiver is underpowering the CC-370. Too little power will cause clipping, which blows tweeters. (Too much power blows woofers)

Lets try to rule some things out:
-Try hooking the CC-370 up to one of the front channels, to make sure something isn't blown in the receiver.
-Is the tweeter leaking?
-Do you have any test tones? If not, you can download a free test tone generator from the web, save the tone as a .wav, then burn it to a CD.
-Is it still under warrenty. Take it back to your dealer and see if they will look at it.

Michael_V

Second Unit
Brian,
Thanks for the quick reply! It is interesting that underpowering speakers blows tweeters. I did not know this. Now I am worried about the tweeters in my Monitor 7.2s! :eek: The HK 8000 is on its way, though! I just hope I have speakers left to hook up to it once it arrives!
I did look through dozens of reviews of this center (and the related CC350) on audioreview, though, and found that the problem of blown tweeters is not uncommon. I bought this barely used through someone else on this forum so no warranty and no authorized dealers anywhere near me. I wonder if it is possible to mail order replacement tweeters?
By the way, what do you mean "leaking?" Actual fluid?
Mike

Nathan Cook

Agent
put your ear right up to the tweeter and listen for noise. i blew my tweeter on cc170, i took it back and they put in a new one. they didnt even need the reciept.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The tweeters in the Monitors are ferro-fluid cooled. I have heard of people say that the tweeter was leaking.

As for the warrenty, you are out of luck. Paradigm's warrenty is non-transferable. You could always try going to a dealer and playing it cool like you bough tthem there. They might repair it for you anyway, or at least send you in the right direction for parts.

Michael_V

Second Unit
All these easy repair-on-site stories are killing me: I AM IN OKINAWA thousands of miles from an authorized dealer! :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks