Paradigm CC-370 sounds terrible ... help ...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jason Hammerly, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

I bought this used from a guy (non HT member) along with a pair of Atoms to use as surrounds. The center sounds terrible. I hooked it up as the left and an atom as the right and calibrated so they'd be at the same level and it sounds muted and much like an alarm clock speaker and the atom sounds great. It's very bad. It's only about 3 months old and was bought from an authorized retailer as i have the receipt from the original owner. Any idea what the problem could be? I really don't think they guy dumped a bad speaker on me. I know it's not the center or left channel as when I hook up the atoms to those channels they sound great. Could something have gotten jarred loose in shipment? Should I take it to a Paradigm dealer. Any help or ideas would be great as I'm very bummed out. : ( thanks

Jason

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yep, unfortunately, I'd take it to a dealer. If it sounds the same no matter what channel you hook it to, something is very likely damaged. At low volume, put your ear close to the tweeter (compare to the Atoms) and hope that you hear sound. If it sounds muffled, it could be a fried tweeter. I have my MS 902s biamped, and I had the channels for the tweeters off one time and they sounded oddly like bose...or an alarm clock radio. Sorry to hear it.

The good news is, the dealer should be able to get you a tweeter if that's what it is, and there is a high probability that it will be under warranty.

3. Jason Hammerly

That's what I thought. I'll run it to the dealer at lunch. I have a call into the guy as well. I was going to take one of the speakers out and check the wiring, but I didn't want to void warranty or anything. I guess I figure it should sound as good or better than the atom at the same level. Thanks.

Jason

4. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Jason,

Back in August, the tweeter in my CC-350 got fried. Luckily it had 2 months remaining on the 5 year warranty!!

I would deal with Paradigm directly. Sounds like you need a new tweeter.

5. Jason Hammerly

Cool ... went down to my local dealer at lunch and he hooked it up in the service department and said the tweeter was out. Man that thing sounds crappy when the tweeter is out. Just had to give him a copy of the receipt and I was on the way. The guy that sold it to me said it checked out perfectly before he shipped it. Is it possible that a wire detached itself during shipment? Guess I'll let the dealer figure that one out as I didn't want to void the warranty by poking around in there. [​IMG] SOunds like it should be repaired within a week or so. My wife said my Monitor 7's I bought on Audiogon showed up today. I sure hope there are no problems with those bad boys. Later guys.

6. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

Can't beat that 5 year warranty [​IMG] My dealer said if I ever have an issue, come down and they'll fix it free. I said that was cool, he replied, "well, that's why you bought from us". I like that. Makes you feel better about spending the extra cash, you get what you pay and can feel justified in the expense above and beyond the sound.