Paradigm cc-370 clipping during calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom_Mack, Aug 2, 2001.

1. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

I have owned a paradigm monitor speaker system for about 1/2 a year now (Yamaha v596). Recently I made some changes that required me to re-calibrate my speakers. I have never been happy with the upper bass range (80-105hz) just above the crossover and have been trying some different things to see if I could get the bass any better. Just top see how it would sound I had set the center speaker to the LARGE setting. I did the calibration with AVIA at 75 db. The center speaker made some crackling noises at around 70db and I turned down the volume. I set the center to small and turned the volume back to 75db and it crackled once in 20 seconds. Is the noise I am hearing clipping? Isn't 70db a little low for having this happen even in large mode? Could there be a problem with the speaker that is causing this and could it also be the problem that makes the upper bass problems? Please give me some help if you can!!!
    Thanks, Tom

2. Tom_Mack

Tom_Mack Stunt Coordinator

Ok, I just realized the SPL meter needed a new battery. I tested the CC-370 again (with a new battery) and it still still clipping but at 80db instead of 70 db. Still not good in my opinion.
    On the other topic of the center channel bass problem, I think it may be the receiver causing the problem, so I'll leave that for another topic.
    Please, if you have ANY comments on the clipping problem let me know!

3. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

OK, first of all have you tried the center channel speaker on a different channel, one that you know doesn't make a noise? I would try this first, make sure it is indeed you speaker and not another problem. Also, check, and recheck all connections.
    You are most likely unhappy with your upper bass because you have your center channel on top of your TV, or on a shelf. This couples the speaker to the TV (or shelf and rear wall) and causes upper bass coloration. You can try moving it and see if it still sounds bad in that region. If it does turn out to be location, you can try a Lovan Director center channel stand, or even blu tack to raise it off the TV a bit.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org