What's new

Paradigm Atoms (1 Viewer)

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I just finished hooking my new Paradigm Atoms. I was planning on using these for my surrounds when I get my Titans, but since I won't be getting the Titans for a week or so I decided to hook up the Atoms as my mains. WOW! These sound great right out of the box and blend very well with my Paradigm center(CC-170) and they have great imaging. I wasn't expecting these to sound so GOOD as mains! Now I'm thinking that I should just get another set to use as surrounds and not to worry with the Titans. I listened to both at a local dealer and the Titans didn't sound much better, but the dealer kept telling me that the Titans were better speakers. Since my listening area is fairly small, would I benefit by getting the Titans? I also will use these for about 80% movies. Also I can save around $100 if I just go with another set of Atoms and I can use the extra cash toward my next purcahse...a new sub.

What sub will go good with these Paradigms, in the $300-$400 range. Thanks.

Carol-AnnZ

Agent
We had Atoms as our mains for a couple years when we first started up with our HT kick. We upgraded to Monitor 5's cause we got a good deal on them, but we were really sad to see the Atoms go. They are great little speakers. For under $200, they are a steal! Some people in here prefer the Titans to the Atoms, but we felt differently. We loved them to pieces! We had Atoms in the front and Micros in the back, but Atoms all around would sound even better. Once you get a sub in there, you'll be all set!

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
You would be better off with 4 Atoms and a sub IMO than Titans and Atoms. I had the Atoms as rears and thought they were fantastic. The Titans have a bit more bass but in a HT setup with a sub I don't think they will sound better.

If you save $100 you are well on your way to a SUB. I would recommend a Paradigm PDR (12 if you can swing the extra few $) I had one before upgrading to a PW 2200 and for the $ it was tight with music and accurate but not crazy loud for movies.

Especially for movies 4 atoms and a PDR 12 would be better than say Titans, Atoms and a PDR 8 for the same $ (I think)

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Thanks for the help!

I think that I'm just going to pick up another pair of Atoms. They sound amazing for there size! They fit in perfectly!

I was looking at the PDR-10 and thought it sounded decent, how much better is the 12? I live in an apartment so I can't go too big, but I'd like to get a nice sub.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
I was looking at the PDR-10 and thought it sounded decent, how much better is the 12? I live in an apartment so I can't go too big, but I'd like to get a nice sub.
I went with the PDR-10 over the PDR-12. I felt the 10 was a tighter sound myself. I like boom but only when there is supposed to be boom.

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
I visit my local Paradigm dealer 'bout once a month to see whats new at the store. I can only concur with your amazement of the Atoms. I believe NOTHING sounds as impressive in their sound range and even several times over. Paradigm engineers hit jackpot with this design!

I'm buying a pair for my office system some time soon.

JaimeB

Jaime B

Stunt Coordinator
err... I meant to say "in their price range", not "in their sound range".

JaimeB

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
pdr12 is a good sub to go with the atoms if you want to stick with all paradigm setup. the atoms are really great speakers and i still keep them as surround even though i upgraded my front and center speakers.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
The Atoms/Titans can sound simply amazing in small room. I bought Titans for my mains fist because I didn't have a sub. However, if you plan on buying a sub soon it would be better to spend the extra money on a better sub rather than buying Titans. When used with a sub, I cannot tell any difference between my Titans and Atoms.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
When used with a sub, I cannot tell any difference between my Titans and Atoms.
I just got back from comparing the Atoms/Titans with the PDR-12 and there was little difference between the 2 with the sub. Without the sub there was a noticable difference but in my opinion not a $100 difference. I still can't get over how well the Atoms sound!

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
I'll likely be picking up a 5.1 set with Atoms as the main L/R, and I'm wondering what I should get for the surround L/R speakers. I've heard mixed reviews about the ADP-70 (e.g., not appropriately timbre-matched with other Paradigm speakers), so I guess I'm probably looking at ADP-170's or maybe another set of Atoms.

Is there any feature of Atoms which wouldn't make them a great speaker to have for both main and surround L/R use? I'd have the CC-170 in the center, and the PDR-10 for the sub in this setup. Anyone know how much more it would be to get the Atoms for surround vs ADP-170s?

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
I guess I'll answer my own question partly: the ADP-170's are a dipole design, and this will help get rid of the nasty localization effects I get in my smallish basement theater. They'll probably sound better in the rear than Atoms.

I think I'll definitely go with the ADP-170's for surround L/R, Atoms for front L/R, CC-170 for center, and PDR-10 for sub. Sound like a reasonable package for < $1,200?

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, if you are going to get Atom's, go find the older series that has the wood backing. My paradigm dealer and myself both agree that the new plastic backed Atom's do not sound as good. This would also be true for the Titans.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Personally, if you are going to get Atom's, go find the older series that has the wood backing. My paradigm dealer and myself both agree that the new plastic backed Atom's do not sound as good. This would also be true for the Titans.
I'm pretty sure the old ones sound different is because the Atoms used to use vifa drivers. Paradigm now makes their own drivers. The newer ones you listened to may not have been broken in. I also believe the old ones used a soft-dome tweeter and had spring-clips.

Carol-AnnZ

Agent
Our Atoms were the v.2......they were amazing little speakers! I don't see how you can possibly go wrong with them, especially for the money. Just our $.02 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks