What's new

Paradigm Atoms v5 (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I used to own the Paradigm Monitor 7 v2. Loved'em. Had to part with them, but I am back to shopping again for stuff. The local Paradigm dealer told me yesterday that the "new" Atoms v5 are better than the old v2 Monitors (in this case Mini-Monitors.)

Does anyone here think this is true?

Yes, I could go and audition them. But contrarily to most, I put zero stock into comparative auditions when there are differences of gear. For example, my last receiver sounded so vastly different from the one it replaced (with the same speakers) that listening with anything other the same receiver is just useless to me. Plus, I no longer have the Monitor 7s and don't trust my memory at all with such things.

In any case, the question remains, do the new Atoms compare favorably with the old monitor line?

Thanks.

--
H

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The Atoms used to be part of the Performance series of Paradigm. That line was eliminated and the Atoms, along with the Titans were incorporated into the Monitor line. From the specifications I see that the Atom has a 5-1/2" woofer and the Mini has a 6-1/2" woofer. They both have the same tweeter.

Good luck on your shopping.

Dave Duncan

Auditioning
I own the Mini Monitor V5 and absolutely love it. Back in 1997 I had the Mini Monitor, not sure which version, and found it a little edgy. The V5 seems much more refined. There's not a lot of bass, but I have a sub so that's not an issue. You can find a review of the Atom Monitor v5 by googling atom monitor V5+ Good Sound.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I like the Atoms a lot. But either because I've grown to favor "warmer" or more "laid back" sounds, and probably because I have hardwood floors and minimal furniture some of the higher frequencies are getting fatiguing.

Not the extreme highs, more like upper piano keys or saxophone on jazz tracks. I feel like I could listen even louder if there were a way to tame these frequencies.

I can't do much about the room, so I am left with looking for alternative speakers, any suggestions? Will upgrading to Studio 20s help in that regard? (I get credit for the Atoms towards upgrades with my dealer.)

--
H

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Going from the Atom to the Studio 20 is a substantial upgrade. IMO, it's like going from a Volkswagen to a Mercedes. I think the Studio 20s will give you a "fuller" sound. I don't know if they will sound as "warm" as you want. Paradigm as a brand have a reputation for being a bit harsh for some people. I personally like the Paradigm sound. I like the details I hear in the highs.

If you are seriously considering the Studio 20s, ask the dealer to let you audition them at home. Chances are he will let you take them home over the weekend to give them a demo. As you know that is the only way to really tell if a speaker is right for you.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I experimented a bit last night:

I covered the TV next to the left speaker with some heavy cloth (the TV is not between the speakers, it is left of the soundstage, in a corner, angled toward the middle of the room), covered the posters behind either speaker with some thick towels, and laid a king size comforter on the floor in front the speakers where an area rug would normally go.

It made a significant difference in taming the offending frequencies, I was able to turn the volume up 5 dB to the level I really wanted without cringing.

So it looks like I might have to do something with the room. I am looking into some foam material for the walls directly behind the speakers. Heck, if I pick the colors right, the panels may even add to the look for the room :D. The problem is that a projector screen with go there eventually, but I guess I will worry about that when the time comes (months away.)

I am loathe to get an area rug, but may buy one and roll it out just for critical listening. Now what the heck am I gonna do with the TV.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks