What's new

Paradigm Atoms placement (1 Viewer)

Ronneil Camara

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

I learned from some topics here that front speakers must not be near the on each side walls, at least more than a 1 foot away.

What about the wall behind the front speaker, is it fine to put it near the backwall like just 2 inches away while retaining the 1 foot distance on the side walls? The reason I asked this is because behind my atoms speakers, there is an air exhaust.

Hope you get what I mean. :)

Neil

Kevinkall

Second Unit
I have my ATOMS about 13 inches from the wall(since they are rear ported) and 6 1/2 feet apart. My front left speaker is 19 inches from a side wall. I don't think that side walls are as big of deal as the wall behind(since they are rear ported)...I could be wrong. My setup sounds GREAT! Hope this helps.

cabreau

Second Unit
I think the purpose of having them a set distance away from the side walls is so that the wave can form before bouncing off the wall correctly. If you have it too close, your soundwave will look like a D instead of an O. Can anyone correct me here?

Also, I believe that you want the port to be able to "breath", so if you have it too close to the back wall you may lose out on a little bit of your low end, or it may increase the low end, anyway, I think it will change the sound.
Again, any audio engineers out there that can correct me or verify? I'm just a measly Systems Administrator. LOL.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The side walls are a bigger deal, depending on how far you sit from them. The first reflection from the side wall can diffuse the sound a little, and depending on your room, this could be either a good thing or a bad thing. I prefer not to have the first reflection in front of me.

Port noise is less of an issue, but 2 in. is pretty close. What will happen is that the sound coming from the port will reflect off the wall and may exaggerate the bass a bit too much, causing a bit of a muddy sound in the lower midrange. This will depend on your room somewhat, but moving to about 6-8" away should be enough in most cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks