What's new

Paradigm Atom V.2 vs. V3 (1 Viewer)

BenKof

Agent
My local Paradigm retailer just offered me a deal on the Paradigm System 1 (2 Atoms, CC-70, PDR-8, and two more Atoms instead of the ADP-70's) for $750. However, when I looked more closely they were Atom V.2's. Anyone know if there is a huge difference between these and the V.3's?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No difference between v2 and v3 for the bookshelves in the Performance series. Maybe a slight cosmetic change, but the drivers and x-overs should be basically identical for a perfect timbre match. They were also the same price at the time of the change. I know this for certain, because I ordered v2 Titans at the time, and I got v3s when the shipment came in, and I couldn't tell the difference between them and my v2s. I wouldn't expect anyone to still have v2s, since they were discontinued over a year ago, so that seems a bit odd.

cabreau

Second Unit
$750 is a bit steep for that setup. I got 4 Atoms, a PDR-10, and a CC-170 - all version 3, for about $900 brand new.

I'd offer him $600 for what you've just listed.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
At the time, I got my 4 shielded Titans and a CC-170 for $600, all brand new, so this guy should be able to come down on the price some.

BenKof

Agent
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the store is being a little sketchy ... I'll have to shop around or get him to $600.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wouldn't necessarily say "sketchy", but they are giving you what sounds like MSRP pricing, and for a whole set, they should work with you if they want your business.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
If I were you I'd look into getting the CC_170 rather than the CC-70. The center speaker is possibly the most important for HT and I think the CC_70 would lag behind the atoms a bit.

Marc H

Second Unit
Justin is right on. Go for the better centre if you can squeeze it in.
When our shop sold Paradigm, the CC70 was the most exchanged speaker ever :)
Clients would buy it for the low price but invariably be back to upgrade it within a week.

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
Here is what Paradigm tech support offered in response to my questions which included a question about the difference between V.2 and V.3.

Hi

Most Performance Series v.3 models, including the CC-170 and ADP-170,
incorporate new designs and all-new MPC (Metal Polymer Cone) bass/midrange
drivers.

The current PDR-10 v.3 features increased amplifier power at 120 watts RMS
(up from 100 watts RMS) and a redesigned drive unit with a more powerful
magnet/motor structure for greater output.

We don't recommend specific brands or models of receivers because our
speakers will perform well with a wide variety of equipment.

The speaker packages you are considering will produce excellent sound