Paradigm and Yamaha - can it work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveWales, Apr 6, 2002.

1. DaveWales

DaveWales Guest

I have a Yamaha RXV 596 receiver and wanted to upgrade my speakers. I have old Boston A-70's as mains,Titans as surrounds and a D-box 301 as a sub.

I heard the Paradigm Studio CC at a local dealer, and thought it was excellent, so I decided to buy one with the plan of upgrading my mains to Studio 20s in the future.

Here is my dilema:

1) I find that the Paradigm CC and the RXV - 596 are very bright together. In short, I don't see $600 (Cdn)worth of improvement in the sound. In fact with normal TV viewing the phantom center is often superior. I consider the performance when watching regular TV important as I probably spend the bulk of time doing this. In my case music is least important.

2) If I traded in the CC I could get 2 studio 20's for only $60 more and then could buy a single Studio 20 for a center. The total savings here would be about $300. Problem is will it still sound too bright?

I have 15 day return policy so I have to decide soon which way to go.

Has anybody got a Yamaha/Paradigm system that isn't too bright?

2. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

It can work (does for me RXV-1000, 100's and CC) depending on the model of the receiver. Some yammie models are brighter than others. If it isn't working for you now, you may want to consider trying a different speaker brand.

Best of luck,

Martin.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My Paradigm dealer often lets me demo speakers I'm interested in at home for a day (with a credit card # to back it up). Perhaps yours will...this would be the best way to find out.

4. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I was thinking of pairing a Yammie 630 with my mini monitors, and a couple of people recommended against it b/c both tend to be on the bright side. So now I'm looking into getting a Denon 2802, when I get some money of course![​IMG]

5. DaveWales

DaveWales Guest

I am still experimenting I and am going to go to the dealer to see if I can demo the studio 20's at home. I think that that will give me a better idea of whether the upgrade is worth it.

I also have an old NAD receiver at home, I think I will hook up the Studio CC to it and test out the sound.

I really want to get the front 3 speakers matched, because I don't find that the current situation (2 Boston and a Paradigm) is giving me anywhere close to the sound I expect.

Also the Bostons are 6 ohms, would this have any affect on there sound ouput if not calibrated properly?

Thanks

Davw

6. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Well I'm running a Yammy 2095 with Paradigm Reference 20s, Reference CC, Minimonitors, & Titans.

Works fine for me - doesn't sound too bright at all. Unless one equates clear with bright - then guilty as charged.

7. DaveWales

DaveWales Guest

Lou, if you had your choice, would you switch the CC for another Studio 20?

I think thats the route I am going to take.

8. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Dave - I'm quite happy with my setup. I don't find the CC brighter than my 20's.

Were do you have the CC? On top of your TV/console or on the floor? My CC is on the floor.

I find it to be very clear and accurate - dialogue sounds very natural with it - though you can tell if something was touched up in the studio later.

That's it's only shortcoming - it's too accurate. The limitations of the source are quickly exposed by the CC.

9. DaveWales

DaveWales Guest

Lou - It is on top of the TV and my preference is that it stays there although I will try it on the bottom.

I have tried it with better sources and with the sub hooked up the sound is much better (to my tin ear anyway).

I still think I will go with the 3 20's at the front, as it seems that I will not lose anything sound wise and will save about $300 Cdn over a CC + two 20's.

I do think that the CC is an excellent speaker and was very impressed when I heard it in the store, I think that the rest of my system may not do it justice.

Dave

10. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    OK Dave. Try it on the floor and let me know what you think. Worth a try anyhow. Going with 3 speakers across the front is always a good idea.

11. DaveWales

DaveWales Guest

Lou, I tried it on the floor, if I had to judge, I would say it was the same or slightly better, although honestly I can't say it was much different.

Thanks for your input, I think the speaker is getting better as it is being broken in and I do like it more now. I still think that the 3 studio 20's is my best route, more for $ reasons than anything else

12. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Dave - didn't pick up on the fact that it was brand new. It will sound better as it breaks in - running something on it for ~24 hours continuously will speed up that process.
    Of course financial considerations always override anything else.[​IMG]