Paradigm and HK 630

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Meindert, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Meindert

Meindert Extra

Hi there

I'm looking into buying my first HT setup. What do you guys think about the following combination; HK AVR 630 with Paradigm S40III for front L/R, center CC- 470, surround ADP- 470 and rear S20III, sub Servo-15 or Seismic 12. Is this a good set-up? Should I take the S60 for front? Thanks for your help

2. Keith*D

Keith*D Agent

That sounds like a great setup to me. If it were me I would change the reciver to a NAD 762, and the sub to an SVS, Hsu, Adire, etc... Good luck.

Keith

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yep, your money could be better spent on a sub from one of the manufacturer's listed, but otherwise it sounds like a very nice setup.

I can't comment on the receiver, because I haven't heard it.

4. Meindert

Meindert Extra

Thanks, which sub would you recommend in this set-up, that is can you give me a model # for the SVS or any of the other brands listed for subs?

Meindert

5. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

6. Meindert

Meindert Extra

Thanks I'll check both out and read some reviews!

7. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would go w/ S20IIIs for all 4 surround speakers, but I prefer monopoles to dipoles. It's a personal prefference thing, but I like my effects to be somewhat localizable and dipole surrounds get rid of alot of that. A speaker that images well will still create a wide and believeable rear soundstage without muddying it up w/ phase/reflection effects as dipoles do. Monopoles are also MUCH preffered for 5.1 music sources such as SACD and DVD-A.

Other than that and the sub everything looks good. For the sub look at the SVS PB2-ISD and PB1+, Adire Sadhara, or contact Stryke audio for an AV12 based Mini Thunder. Brian Bunge also does some very good custom work using DIY drivers and amps. If you are willing to build the cabinet yourself you could build an Adire Sadhara of Tumult (depending on size constraints) based sub and get a pro-amp that would destroy any comercial sub at the $1k price point.