Paradigm ADP170's or Mini Monitors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Custodio, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

Which would you get for rear surrounds. Paradigm ADP170's or Mini Monitors?

K e n

2. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

There are strong differences of opinion on this. Mini-monitors are higher quality speakers, but the adp-170's are dipoles, meaning there are 2 sets of drivers. The adp-370's as I understand it are 2 sets of mini-monitor drivers and cross-overs in one enclosure. Not sure, but it's possible the 170's are 2 sets of Titan drivers. Personally, I prefer the sound of dipoles and would take the 170's. But you are going to have to demo it yourself.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

4. Thad_C

Thad_C Agent

I have the exact same dilemma. I'm getting the Monitor 7's, cc-370 up front. I tested the mini-monitor surrounds with a PDR-12 sub and found the surrounds to be quite good. I hope to test the ADP-170's as surrounds this weekend. Can someone explain how the dipoles need to be set up? I do not have a solid adjoining wall for the left rear speaker, and I am wondering if this will make a significant difference.

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Dipoles need to be set up on the side walls, even with the listener, about 3 feet above ear level, and idealy several feet away from the back wall. The speakers use the side and back wall to bounce the sound back to the listening area giving a more difuse sound.
    If you do not have a side you you can still use the if you can suspend it, but you might get a lopsided sound because the side with the wall will have more emphsis.
    I would get the Mini Monitors for the rears and spend the extra money on the PS-1000 sub. That is my personal preference. But listen to them and see what you think.

6. Steve Vinson

Steve Vinson Auditioning

I have Mini-monitors for rears, and they sound great. But, I've never heard any of Paradigms dipoles in my room . . .

Steve Vinson

7. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Those who have Mini-Monitors, how much did you pay for the pair? I think I'm going to buy a pair for use as my surrounds very soon and I need some ammo when I bargain with my dealer. He gave me a set of Monitor 3's a few years back for $100 off posted price...

Thanks!

8. Mike_A

Mike_A Stunt Coordinator

just wanted to point out that the monitor line (mini's & adp370) and performance line (titan & adp170) have more different than just the tweeter. the mid/bass driver is also different, as is the cabinet/crossover quality i believe.

that said, i'd choose the adp170's if you mainly watch movies because i like dipoles too for that scenario. the timbre matching front to rear isn't that important, at least not nearly as important as matching the front sound stage properly.

9. Alexis

Alexis Stunt Coordinator

the mini monitor and titan woofers are different, the mini monitors have a clear surface, the titans do not.

10. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Is there any disadvantage to the shielded Mini-Monitors compared to the regular ones? I might use a pair in the future as my L/R's and it might be nice to have the flexibility to use them close to the TV...

11. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

Dave,

One disadvantage; the shielded ones cost a little bit more. If you were going to be using them butting up against your TV then you'll want to go with the shielded ones...or if you'll be using one as a center channel placed right on top of or below your TV.

Otherwise the standard ones work fine. I have the Mini's set up as the main speakers, (unshielded) placed about 2 feet from my TV and haven't had any interferance problems.

HTH,

Ed

12. Dan Da Silva

Dan Da Silva Stunt Coordinator

I got my pair of Mini Monitors for $269 from AVI Electronics in NJ.