What's new

Paradigm adp170 vs. adp370 vs. adp ref. w/c one? (1 Viewer)

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
i might transfer my system to another room and i'm considering to use paradigm dipoles for surround as i already have the studio20 and center. is there a considerable difference in the sound of the 3 speakers mentioned above? fot the mains, there is improvement but for the dipoles, is it worth to go for the ref. adp or just go for adp170 or adp370?

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
There is an audible improvement among those 3 dipole arrays. However, it is not critical to timbre match the surrounds with the mains and center. If money is a factor, it wouldn't be a mistake to get either the adp-170 or adp-370's. If you truly prefer the sound of dipoles, you'd probably like either of those better for your surrounds than you would another pair of Studio 20's.

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
thanks a lot eric, i think i will go with the adp170 and save some money for the amplifier.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
There is a HUGE audible difference between the 3. At least when it comes to the Studio ADPs. Since you have Studio 20s I would definitely get the Studio ADPs, they are far better speakers and timbre match does play a role although as mentioned not as big of a role as the 3 fronts.

For one thing, the ADP170 are smaller speakers. The dipoles ability to reproduce bass effects has become increasingly important. With the Studio ADPs I can feel the lightsaber in TPM but with my old ADP150 (170's predecessors) I couldn't. I suspect the 370s will be better in that regard but I can bet you that upon hearing the three you will no doubt think there is a big difference in the three.

I do admit that the surrounds are a place and a common place to cut corners if your budget doesn't allow it but it's pretty much comparing the Monitor series with the Studio Series. The difference is there. You shouldn't look at surrounds as something different from the mains. There are differences in sonic clarity among other things. (I am not good with stereophile terms)

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
okay, ill try to listen again next week. the last time i listened was only for a short time so i might not be able to notice the difference.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
There are obvious differences. Whether it's enough for you to justify the extra cost is the question.

Ariel

Stunt Coordinator
i was able to listen to dipoles today with more materials and Howard_s is right. the adp170 really sounded too thin and has a different sound from the ref. series. however, the adp370 and studioadp's sounded very close and i guess that if i did not see what was hooked up, i cannot guess which one is being used. maybe for some materials, the differences will be more obvious. i'll try to see the budget and if it will allow, i will go for the studioadp and if not, the adp370 will be my choice. again, thanks to you guys.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The only difference between the 170 and 370 is the tweeter. The 170 has a 3/4" CMC to match the Titans while the 370 has a 1" PTD to match the Monitors. The woofers are both 6 1/4" Polyproplene.
I think the ADP-370 should be sufficient. I don't think there will be a huge difference from the studios in the rears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks