Paradigm ADP vs mini monitors

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by john_FE, Feb 12, 2004.

1. john_FE

john_FE Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone,

I am considering a new Paradigm system. I was wondering If the genereal concensus here was to go the extra mile with the ADP 370's as opposed to the mini monitors. What Im thinking is instead of the monitor 5's, I may be able to go studio 40 instead. Wouldnt the money be better spent there?

Can you match mini's with the studio series?

Its a big room 20 x 16 or so.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

If the speakers are mostly for HT, I'd go with ADP's. I recently demoed them and compared them with the Monitor 7's for surround duty. I ended up selling the 7's.....If you can get the 40's by all means do it, a better speaker than the 5's for sure. I would believe the ADP's to work more seemlessly with the Studio's than the mini's since the di-poles sound is much more dispersed and SQ is more difficult to pinpoint.

3. john_FE

I agree with that except I cant get the adp's and the studio's. Basically its either monitor 5/adp or studio 40/mini with matching center.

4. john_FE

Its funny to me to be spending more on the surrounds than the mains...

Anyone know where I can find a dealer list price for Paradigm? Like speaker for speaker not their recommended sets.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Save the $ on the ADPs and get the Minis, put that money towards the 40s. If you have a large room and the right seating position, the ADPs might be better, but I prefer monopole surrounds to bi/dipoles in general. Is this more for music or movies?

Approximate: 5s are $570, 40s are $1100, ADPs are $600 (I believe), and Minis are $370.

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Don't even think anymore about that question and GET the 40's with 470 center and minis. Your front soundstage is the most important part to a HT system. You would kick yourself later on at the thought of paying more for surrounds than fronts and center. Do not worry that the surrounds are not matching. You will not notice a difference unless you are doing SACD and even then I would go Minis and not dipole.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My rears don't perfectly timbre match my mains, and even with SACD, it sounds fine (and I am picky about my sound).

8. john_FE

Yeah I have to imagine we are talking 95% movies/HT

I dont know much about dipole etc. The room is fairly large I guess at 20x16. But If I went with Minis I may add 2 more later on as 7.1 is my main goal. I think 4 adp's would be a little overkill.

Still with 4 rears I dont really think I need to worry too much about the "surround" sound.

9. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

ADP's on the sides, mini's in the rear. [​IMG]

10. john_FE

Good job Wayne, didnt think of that one. Of course reading other threads Im wondering If that bookshelf is going to do it in my size room which opens up into another room...

11. Keith Hyde

Keith Hyde Stunt Coordinator

I'll second this. When you get the flow, like another said, add the dipoles as sides.