Paradigm ADP-170 vs ADP-370

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ray Stericker, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Ray Stericker

I am trying to decide between ADP-370 and ADP-170 surround speakers for my home theatre. I have Mini Monitors and CC-370 across the front. My theatre is a 13 ft square area at on end of a larger L shaped room (when I get it finished). I will be using them primarily for movies.

I bought the front speakers last year because the tonal difference between my old mismatched centre and L/R pair was driving me crazy. At the time I assumed I would buy ADP-370s for the surrounds, but I was surprised when I recently saw the price [​IMG] The ADP-370 is about $800 CDN and the ADP-170 about $500 CDN. I know the ADP-370s have the same drivers as my front speakers and so they should match better, but the question is will I be able to tell? The $300 would be handy for other things, but if it will make a noticable difference to the sound I will pay it.

Can anyone help me with the decision?

Thanks,
    Ray
    p.s. Why don't they make ADP-270s????

2. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I'll give ya my two cents. I have a CC370 and Monitor 3s up front and had been looking for Paradigm surrounds. The ADP370s are nice but are $850 CDN.
    My listening area is 15X15 feet and because this isn't ideal for dipoles I decided to go for the Mini monitors as surrounds today. They are about half the price of the ADP370s. IMO this is a better solution than the ADP170s which aren't timbre match to your other speakers.

3. Greg Kennedy

Greg Kennedy Agent

I've got Monitor 5 mains, a CC-370, and ADP-170s for rears. I can hear them just fine, but there are times I wonder if a movie might sound better with a single driver speaker instead of a dipole. I compromised because of the price but I really don't think I lost much at all. I think you'll be okay if you go with the 170s or the mini monitors.

4. Ray Stericker

Thanks for your responses.

Graham, I can't really go for the Mini Monitors as surrounds because of placement issues. They are quite a bit deeper than the dipoles, and if I put them in the rear corners (which I think is the recomended spot for direct radiators) one would be in the doorway to the room [​IMG] I can put the dipoles on the side walls next to the seats and they will not stick out into the traffic flow. In your case, I am sure the minis will sound great, and match perfectly.

Greg, Do the 170s go deep enough to cross-over at 80Hz? I am worried they may be a little weak in the base with only 5" midrange drivers.

Ray

5. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Ray,

Although I have recently upgraded to a Magnepan speaker system, I had Paradigms for over 5 years, and loved them. Originally:
    Monitor 7's (front)
    Monitor 3's (rear)
    CC-350 (center)
    PW-2200 (sub)
    Then I bought a used pair of Mini Monitors v.2 and a used pair of ADP-170's v.3. I then started experimenting with my three different type of surround speaker choices. (I was using 4 surrounds in a 7.1 configuration) I finally ended up with the ADP-170's as my side surrounds and the Mini Monitors as my rear surrounds. I also listened to DVD-A and SACD using the ADP's in this 5.1 music format.

Bottom line: The ADP-170's are great speakers and sounded great in my system crossed-over at 80Hz. After all that experimenting, I say get the ADP-170's. Great bang for the buck, IMHO!!

6. Greg Kennedy

Greg Kennedy Agent

The thought process I went through at the time was that the surround speakers are not used as much in a 5.1 setup. I consider them to be complimentary and so I had no problem going down to the ADP-170s. I normally would not have flinched and would have bought the ADP-370s, but I had sticker shock when I saw the price and decided it wasn't worth it. If you like to put your receiver in 5 channel stereo when you're watching sports or something else, then maybe you'd prefer the ADP-370s, but I do that every now and then and everything sounds great. My decision was largely one of "single source" surrounds or "bi-directional" surrounds (which you can do a search for here and find much information, I'm sure).

Since I'm a novice, I'm going to expose my ignorance regarding your question about the 80Hz crossover. I thought that your receiver, if set to cross over to your LFE channel at 80 Hz, would do so and so your surround speakers would not even receive a signal at that frequency. Is that wrong? Right now I do not have a subwoofer (on order with SVS [​IMG] ) and if you're asking how much bass I hear from the surrounds -- well, I don't think I can answer that. I would check Paradigm's design specs to see what they say its capabilities are. Right now I hear most of my bass through my mains (which go down surprisingly far, but with very little SPL). Since bass is largely non-directional, I don't think I would know it is they were producing bass. Frankly, I don't think surrounds need to offer a lot of bass if you're watching movies.

Anyway, I'm a novice and learning all the time, but hopefully the above isn't giberish. If someone with more technical knowledge wants to fill in the gaps, please do.

Good luck.

gk

7. Ray Stericker

Greg,

Thanks again for your response. The Paradigm web page says the ADP-170 has "low freq extension" to 65 Hz, but only quotes freq response as "±2 dB from 90Hz - 20kHz ".

The way a crossover works (IMHO) is to transition the sound from the speaker to the sub so that the total contribution is flat. That means that below 80Hz the sub provides the majority of the sound, but expects some output from the speaker. Likewise above 80Hz the speaker provides the majority of the sound as the sub rolls off. I don't remember the slopes, but I think the overlap is really only audible for about an octave.

Anyway, I was just worried that if the ADP-170 is already rolling off at 90Hz that it might be a little weak in the 80Hz area. This is probably just a case of having to much information and not enough real things to worry about [​IMG] It looks like I will be fine with the 170s

Thanks again,
    Ray

8. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Sorry I couldn't provide you with any help. Just thought you might like to hear from someone with experience using the ADP-170's??

9. Ray Stericker

Alan,

Your post was helpful. You actually answered two of my concerns. You think they can handle 80Hz crossover and had compared them with mini monitors(same drivers as ADP-370)used as surrounds. That answers my concern about the 5" drivers handling the bass. You also used them for music and while I am mostly concerned about HT, I wondered if they would be OK for music too. I am sure I will have multi channel music player someday.

I hope to have a full 6.1 or 7.1 system eventually. I don't actually have a back wall in my theatre, so I will probably put one or two SM-60R speakers in the Ceiling behind the seating area. I am going to prewire for two, but I am not sure a theatre that is only 13 feet wide needs two back surround speakers. Right now I only have a 5.1 channel receiver, it will probably depend on how many channels my next receiver has.

Thanks again,
    Ray