Paradigm Actives discontinued...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Cellini, Dec 9, 2001.

1. Greg Cellini

Greg Cellini Agent

Hello everyone,
    There was a bit of controversy about a month ago concerning conflicting information regarding the possible discontinuation of Paradigm's Active speaker line. Sadly, I've just visited their recently updated site and the Active's are, indeed, canned [​IMG]. Why would Paradigm compromise their highest level of sonic achievement by discontinuing the very product it represents?
    What's really aggravating is that Paradigm repeatedly denied any intention to cancel the Actives as recently as last month. Thanks for being so forthcoming and honest with your costumers, Paradigm [​IMG].
    I was hoping to upgrade my 5.1 Active system to a 7.1 when the funds and space became available. Hey, it's certainly not the end of the world, but, nonetheless disappointing. And I certainly don't appreciate being deliberately misled by a company I've patronized.
    Cheers,
    Greg

2. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

I agree with you.

I looked for speakers for my dedicated basement HT for almost a year. When I decided on the Active 40's I was very pleased, and relieved.

When I started hearing the rumors of them being discontiuned I asked several folks directly connected with or working for Paradigm and all INSISTED the Actives would not be discontinued.

I decided where there was that much smoke there must be some fire so I went ahead and bought them last month even though my HT will not be finished for another month.

I'm glad I got them now, because had I not I would never be able to get them.

I do not understand why they would not simply admit they were being discontinued to give everyone who wanted them a chance to buy them..

-- John

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

They really pissed me off w/ that scmuck up. It's about the only reason I haven't yet purchased a 5.1 Reference setup. I liked the Actives more.

Paradigm,

Thanks for the Big Business Treatment. I never forgive those.

4. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Time to look to M&K and Genelec, etc. for your active speaker needs!!

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Yep, that fiascal lost me too. I was set that I was gonna be saving until I could get the Reference Actives. Now they've lost me. I'm gonna build some Adire Kit81 for surrounds and the new three ways they plan to offer by spring for mains and center.
    Only problem is I do believe I'll end up with an Anthem MCA5 to power the Adires, so Paradigm will still be getting some of my money [​IMG]

6. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

I am lucky. After so many folks from company & related denied any truth in gossip about end of Active, I decided that like Talleryand "I do not belive gossip which was not denied...." and bought 2 pairs of Active 40. Together with a pair of Studio-ADP they are taking care of my living room very nicely.

I am sofry for all the folks who were collecting money do buy them next year. A-40 are really very nice and musical - that is what they are used for.

_zjt

7. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

This caught me by surprise too, since I was planning to pick up the Actives sometime next year. I managed to pick up one of the last remaining new ones in Canada 3 weeks ago after calling most of the Paradigm Ref dealers in Canada and getting "we're out of the A40's" or "we've never stocked the A40's" from all but two dealers, and one was nice enough to ship it to me. I still haven't used them much yet aside from testing if they worked after being shipped by UPS, since my Yammie receiver doesn't have pre-outs.

I do know that there are a few remaining dealers in Canada with A20's in stock tho, so call around.

8. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Nothing that Paradigm does EVER surprises me. I've gotten the run-around from them numerous times, and have been blatantly lied to twice. I have never, and will never buy any of their products. For those that have just purchased the active models, just wait and see how much they'll charge ya if you ever need repairs....

9. Vince Chan

That may be true, but its a good thing I have a 5 year warranty on those Actives. Hell, by that time upgraditis may have struck again [​IMG]

10. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

I agree that Paradigm is a very frustrating and unpleasant company to deal with. I also have been directly lied to and given the run around by Paradigm representatives, and am not surprised at all with their dishonesty in this case.

I own a pair of Active 40's and an Active CC v.2. and am very happy with the sound and value of these speakers. However, I've had problems with both of these speakers and have had a difficult time getting any kind of help or some sort of straight answer from Paradigm regarding these problems.

My first bad experience was with the Active CC - it was wired out of phase - confirmed with the test signals on the AVIA DVD. This was also confirmed by the Paradigm dealer where I bought the speaker - they contacted Paradigm and were told that a run of the Active CC's had been released with the out of phase wiring.

I recently moved to Las Vegas, and there are no Paradigm dealers in that area. I was looking at having to ship the defective speaker back to my original dealer in Vancouver, BC at my expense in order to get it fixed.

I decided to just go ahead switch the polarity of the wires in the speaker myself. When I contacted Paradigm for assistance on how to proceed, they totally denied that any of their Active speakers could be wired out of phase and that I would void the speakers' warranty if I had anyone other than my original dealer service the speaker. When I told them that my dealer had confirmed that a batch of these speakers were defective, and if there was anyway I could get the speaker serviced at another Paradigm dealer in California, they continued to give me nothing but vague denials and the runaround. I eventually gave up trying to get a straight answer from those clowns and just went ahead and rewired the speaker myself.

I've also had intermittent problems with one of my Active 40's which has yet to be dealt with to my satisfaction.

Although, I enjoy the sound of the Active line and appreciate the value they offer, I have a hard time recommending Paradigm speakers to my friends after experiencing their dishonest, paranoid customer service tactics firsthand. Despite the bang for the buck, I will be very reluctant to purchase any speakers from them in the future. My advice is to make sure you have a trustworty, friendly dealer within close proximity if you buy Paradigm speakers, because you will get absolutely no assistance in dealing with potential problems from the company itself.

Cary

11. Vince Chan

I have received nothing but good support from Paradigm when my pw-2200 was DOA, and when the rumors were swirling that the Actives were to be discontinued, I sent an email to Paradigm regarding this rumor and future warranty service. They had confirmed the discontinuation of the Active line, and even my dealer in Winnipeg confirmed it. Maybe the head office in the US is a bit shady, but here in Canada, I have found them to be nothing but courteous.

-Vince

12. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

That's b/c Canadian dealers had sent most of their stock to the US to get rid of it. Therefore, it was in the interest of the US dealers to not say anything and sell the stuff. I don't know if that's exactly what happened, but it makes sense and can be inferred.

13. Wynda

Wynda Auditioning

I recently purchased the Active 40's (as an upgrade from my Studio 40's). And I am becoming increasingly fond of it. Like everyone else here, I was concerned about the possibility of the discontinuation of the Active series prior to my purchase. The following is the e-mail response I had received from Paradigm Canada regarding this issue (somewhat edited to keep it brief):
    "However, even with all of the Dealer support and press accolades, we have had to accept the fact that the market is simply not buying Active products at a level that makes
    it commercially viable. Although we and a number of determined Paradigm Reference Dealers (and their loyal consumers) would have liked to carry on with Active, we have had to come to the difficult decision to discontinue
    Reference Active products.
    As a final point, we would like to mention that the power amplifiers used in Paradigm Reference Active products are the same design that is used in Anthem MCA and PVA power amplifiers(www.sonicfrontiers.com). As all of the
    rave reviews of Active products attest, these are truly spectacular high-end amplifiers in their own right and they work exceptionally well with our Studio Series products. Anthem power amplifiers with Paradigm Reference Studio Series models are an excellent replacement for their Active
    counterparts."
    This is obviously very unfortunate, as I am extremely enthuasiastic about this line of products. I will stick with Paradigm nevertheless, unless their quality goes down significantly.
    With regards to poor customer service, I sense this as well. However, I have a very reasonable local dealer, who actually resolved issues with my previous Studio 40's. I think Cary P (from above post) was one of the folks "instrumental" in my figuring out what was wrong with my speakers.
    Lastly, if I could ask a question to those with the Active 40's. I hear a very subtle "buzzing" noise from the speakers, when my ears are right "smack" next to the tweeters and no source signals are fed to the speakers. I think these are transformer noises. Anybody with any ideas and suggestions for remedying these issues? Really subtle effects, however.
    Thanks everyone and enjoy your Active series speakers, if you have them.

14. Cary P

Cary P Stunt Coordinator

Wynda,

I don't hear any buzzing noises at all from my Active 40's, even with my ear right next to the tweeter and my receiver (used as pre/pro) turned all the way up with no source playing. I do hear a slight hiss, however, but I think this is coming from the pre/pro - and I can only hear it within about a foot or so of the tweeter. Maybe I should try this with the interconnects disconnected to see if the slight hiss remains.

Maybe upgrading the stock power cord could tame some of the buzzing sound you are hearing. Has anyone had good results upgrading the rather flimsy white power cords that come with the Active 40's?

I didn't know the amps in the Active line are the same as those used in the Anthem MCA series, thanks for passing that on. I'm still unsure of the design of the level controls on the back of the Active speakers, however. I'm wondering if the gain, and the low frequency and high frequency contour controls are the same as having an extra pre-amp wired into the speakers - or are these controls strictly passive?

I'm very interested in the problems you had with the Studio 40's and how they were resolved. I've had some bad luck with scratchy/distortion sounds in the tweeters of the Reference line when fed the speaker balancing test tones from the AVIA DVD at levels greater than about 65 dB. I've had to replace the tweeter in one of my Active 40's twice because of this, and I've often wondered if there's something defective in the amp or crossover of the speaker that might be contributing to this problem. I rarely listen at levels over 80dB, so I don't think it is a matter of a blown tweeter.

I sometimes can still hear a little high-end scratchiness from my problematic Active 40 when I first turn it on after it being powered down for extended lengths of time. It seems most noticeable with music containing high peaks on piano and vocals. The problem seems to go away after the speaker warms up a bit, so I'm not sure what is going on.

Despite all of this, I still enjoy my Active 40's greatly and plan on sticking with them for the time being. Although I've become quite intrigued by some of the great reviews of the Monitor Audio Gold Reference 10 that have been posted on the HTF lately, and am very tempted to give these speakers an audition. But when you factor in the cost of high quality amplification, the Active 40's still seem like the most bang for the buck. Too bad they decided to discontinue them.

Cary

15. Tim_S

Tim_S Stunt Coordinator

Quote:
    " As a final point, we would like to mention that the power amplifiers used in Paradigm Reference Active products are the same design that is used in Anthem MCA and PVA power amplifiers(www.sonicfrontiers.com)."
    Is this actually legit? Paradigm just bought SonicFrontiers and Anthem relatively recently, right? And the actives have been out for a couple of years? Was it a collaboration before the buyout or are they now just trying to sell more Anthem amps? Actually my guess about why they discontinued them is exactly because they just bought a company that makes amps, so why sell a speaker that doesn't need any?
    Anyway, I'm not trying to say there is anything wrong with Anthem's stuff. I have the MCA 5 S2 and it is great. This statement just seems a bit too convenient. If someone actually has details one way or the other, I would find it interesting.
    Tim

16. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

Paradigm is saying that amps in Active are this same amps used in MC line. Great. Maybe they can do what Linn is doing for long time - you can buy passive speaker, and adding Linn amp and Linn crosover reconfigur speakers to bi/triamped with active crossover. All you need to buy would be Studio + MCA amp + crosover, adjust few switches and voila - you have biamped speaker with active splitter in front of amp. Of course, such crosover would have to be specific for each type of speaker (20 and 40 are already in place - they may want to add for 60, 80 and 100...).

Another product and chance for larger cross/up-selling...

_zjt

17. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Tim_S,
    I don't know for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if Paradigm is BSing about the Anthem amp stuff. After all, hasn't Paradigm been telling us for years that they make EVERTHING in house? Therefore, I'd assume that at best, Anthem merely made the last year of the version 2 actives...at worst, they're totally BSing. I'm guessing that they just wanna sell you on Anthem amps...ha!

18. Vince Chan

Cary,

I have the same problem as you, having scratchiness from the tweeter of one of my Actives during hi-frequency peaks, such as a female vocal "S" sound. Some songs are worse than others. You say that having the tweeter replaced will solve this problem for the most part? I had thought earlier that the cause for this was lack of speaker burn-in but now I'm not so sure.

Otherwise, the Actives sound great as long as I avoid high pitched female vocals.

-Vince