Paradigm Actives Discontinued

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Beierlein, Sep 28, 2001.

1. Craig Beierlein

My order was cancelled yesterday and I was told that the entire Active Line will be dropped by Paradigm......BUMMER.
    I was looking to upgrade my Paradigm Reference setup(100,cc,adp) and thought the Actives would be a nice step up
    Anyone have any suggestions on what would be a nice step up from the Paradigm Reference series ?

2. BobL

BobL Agent

Hi,
    I was concerned when you said that Paradigm is dropping the Active line. I was actually waiting for my local dealer to get them in so can audition them. So, I told him that they might discontinue them so he immediately called Paradigm for me. According to him they said they have no plan to drop the Active line. Is it possible your dealer might not be carrying the active line for various reasons? Hope this helps.
    Bob

3. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

I would hope that somebody would call Paradigm BEFOREHAND before making a statement like that. If it's true, that's a shame because active speakers SHOULD BE the wave of the future. If not true, rumors can have devastating effects on companies. I recall that the Active 20s I heard sounded fantastic.

4. Craig Beierlein

No, Paradigm Canada got the Memo from Corporate yesterday. I had Paradigm USA call the Canadian offices and they comfirmed it. They will be fill existing orders only and thats it.

5. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

Are they discontinued because a new line is coming out or is Paradigm no longer in the active speaker business?
    ------------------
    Dustin A. Davis '94
    Dustin Davis for Dummies : My HT : Dallas HT Group
    "But they are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso on computers

6. Craig Beierlein

They said they are abandoning the Powered speaker category altogether.
    No replacement or new line will be offered.
    I was told they were too time consuming to build and the profit margins were not high enough. Just passing along what I was told.

7. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Damned shame because active speakers are a true step forward...ie-biamplification, active crossovers, and drivers matched to the amps...yep, a real shame.

8. Greg Cellini

Greg Cellini Agent

Hi Craig,
    If your info is accurate, this is a complete and utter dissapointment. I have a Paradigm Active system and the price/performance ratio is virtually unmatched (with the possible exception of the Mackie HR845 active monitor). I commend Paradigm for having the courage to stand as a minority within the consumer electronics industry by manufacturing such a forward-thinking product. The professional recording industry has universally adopted active speaker technology. Virtually every speaker manufacturer that supports that industry has produced an active design. Active technology really is (or should be) the wave of the future, but the consumer industry seems to be reluctant to part with convention-a receiver or seperate amplifier remotely powering what is essentially a dumb motor.
    What a pity.
    Cheers,
    Greg

9. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

Greg:
    I think you mean the Mackie HR824. A great speaker, BTW, and a lot more economical than the Paradigm active line.

10. Greg Cellini

Greg Cellini Agent

Hi Tony,
    Yep. That'd be the one. Sorry. I got my numbers all caddywompous.
    Yes, they are a bit less than the Paradigms, but you're not getting the beautiful wood veneer either. Also, the Mackies, like the Paradigms, feature active time correction. Since the Mackies are essentially designed for near-field monitoring, the aforementioned time-correction circuitry could possibly be tweaked for that application. In a typical control room, the listener would be located approximately 3-5 feet from the monitors; a much closer proximity than most home theater layouts. Again, this is just a guess and the audible results of such a discrepancy might possibly be insignificant.
    Thanks for the correction.
    Cheers,
    Greg

11. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH !!!!!
    -- John
    ------------------

12. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

ARH isn't strong enough. I was really looking forward to getting a set of these. Although it would have been at least a year before I could afford them. So now I guess I'm screwed.
    The words strong enough, wouldn't be appropriate to this forum [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

13. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

Oh man, just got mine in the nick of time! I ordered a pair of Active 40s and a center. My dealer actually called me today and said the 40s just arrived. They didn't get the center but they found one at another store in Kentucky. Should be here next week [​IMG]

14. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Given the popularity of Paradigm, I am surprised. They should have made some of the floorstanders active.

15. Greg Cellini

Greg Cellini Agent

This afternoon, I posted a letter to Paradigm requesting a confirmation and/or additional information (no offense, Craig). The longer I consider this, the more puzzled I become. Consider the Active 40. It is a completely unique design with performance characteristics unmatched by anything twice its size and, in some cases, quadruple the cost! It undeniably represents the pinnacle of Paradigm performance and I, like many others, have always considered them to be the "Crown Jewel" of Paradigm's entire product line.
    Why would a company compromise its highest level of achievement by discontinuing the very product it represents???
    Economics are a bitch.
    Cheers,
    Greg

16. Mark Ruszat

Mark Ruszat Auditioning

I've had a pair of Active 40s on order for about 10 weeks now. When I asked my dealer what she knew about the Active line being discontinued, she decided to give the distributor a call. The distributor had heard nothing of this rumor, in fact he had just come back from a show where Paradigm had been using the Active speakers exclusively in their demos. It seems rather odd that they would have been demonstrating models that were to be discontinued shortly.

17. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

The logic behind active speakers is almost irresistable from the standpoint of the manufacturer, and even from the user's standpoint. Unfortunately, the window of opportunity has closed. The home theater movement requires too many amplifiers.
    Active speakers each require a complete power supply and have to be plugged into the wall. In the days when this meant at most 2 such amplifiers, it made all sorts of sense to include the amp with the speaker. It also allowed for some pretty neat design tricks made possible by knowing the exact impedance of the speaker. It's still a viable solution in pro audio where line level signals are available all over the studio.
    One possible avenue is enclosing the power amplifiers and subwoofer in one box with wires to all 5 satellites. This nerve center could receive signals from a control unit having all the facilities of a receiver + a DVD/CD player. The signal would be sent down a single coax and the power simplexed back up.
    I think it would take a pretty large and confident company to put such an item on the market. Certainly audiophiles would have nothing to do with it.
    ------------------
    Norm Strong ([email protected])

18. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I disaggree Norm. With all we do in a search for great sound, getting the rear speakers a wall outlet or a heavy guage extension cord seems miniscuel.
    Cost wise, I don't think it adds up to much more than getting high quality seperate amps. In the case of the Reference Actives I think Paradigm was actually doing it for significantly less if you require 2 channels of amplification per speaker with your seperates. To be technically close the seperates route would require five 2 channel amps for 5 speakers. Definately not cheap and it still wouldn't sound as good since it was a passive biamping instead of an active one.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

19. Stephen Dodds

Stephen Dodds Second Unit

The obvious question has to be asked. Were people buying them?
    Steveb

20. John Corkery

John Corkery Stunt Coordinator

To me, the obvious question is:
    IS IT TRUE?
    So far, we have ONE person claiming that the Actives are no more. No offense to Craig, but I'll believe it when we have a few more people confirming this. I've been in contact with a local dealer and another pretty reputable source who say that this claim is untrue. I've also been in touch with another dealer who says that he can currently order Active/40s but not 20s, CCs, or ADPs, and Paradigm hasn't given him an explanation for this. So, it looks like we've got a lot of conflicting information floating around.
    I just bought a pair of 40s last week which I'm enjoying immensely, but I was hoping to eventually upgrade my center and surrounds to Actives also.