What's new

Paradigm Active and first post (1 Viewer)

Sania M

Agent
I love this site. I have connected now w/ my inner nerd.
I am almost positive I'm going to run across the border and get some active 20's and maybe an Active CC. I'll probably get a powered sub HSU, PW2200, or an SVS. I have some questions for you HT gurus b/c I'm in college and can't waste this type of money unless it's a longterm investment. BTW the reason the Actives kicked the crap out of the regular reference line was b/c they were so smooth and easy on the ears. The reference 20's were shrill on the highs and I would not have noticed this w/o listening to the actives. I mean I don't honestly think I can matchup equipment better then Paradigm for their own speaker.
1. Paradigm is coming out w/ V3 for the performance line. Does anyone know when they will do this for the reference and active line?
2. Does anyone have any reasons why I should get the Active 40's over the Active 20's if I intend to use a sub for the lowend? Is there any flaw in using a sub for music too?
3. What should be the main factor in a receiver w/ these types of speakers? I'm going cheap on the receiver. I have friends at Sears and Circuit City and will get 1/2 off at each. Spare me the ethics part please. I'll probably get my tv and dvd player through them too. :) I'm clearly going for the biggest bang for my buck w/o having to steal them.
4. What other speakers should I be looking at in this price range sub 1000? I know about Diva and Norh, but can't audition them and I don't intend to waste money on shipping BOTH ways.
5. Can someone give me the current list prices at Canada for the active and Reference line?
Thanks a lot everybody, I have been overflowing w/ these questions for a while. I'm trying to get 2 friends of mine hooked on the Paradigm line, So I can take them w/ me and maybe we'll get a better deal. Next step will be to contact some of those dealers.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well Canadian MSRP for the Reference Active's are
40- $2250
20- $1850
CC- $1050
From what I'm told you should be able to get 25% off of those prices. Then convert to USD and put a big grin on your face.
I'll leave it to others to address your other questions.
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
Even if you are going to use a sub, you should consider the Active 40. Having a dedicated bass driver would relieve the mid/bass drive from some work and would yield cleaner midrange and extended bass response. The Active 40 isn't much more $$$ than the 20. As for the reciever, just make sure it has preamp outs, which pretty much rules out the low end models. The Denon 3802 would be a good place to start.
[Edited last by Ron Alcasid on November 08, 2001 at 05:12 PM]

Will Gibbons

Agent
I recommend the Active 40's over the Active 20's if possible. I would still recommend a sub with the Active 40's, especially for HT. I noticed low end roll-off with the Active 20's that I did not experience with the Active 40's on music.
Regards,
Will

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
I called the paradigm guys yesterday and they told me that the active line is no longer available in Canada. I called all the paradigm stores in Manitoba and Saskatchewan and they all called back saying their rep told them that the were discontinued and all Active stock has been sent to the US.
I really want a pair of Active 40's so if anyone in Canada knows where I can get a pair I'd love to hear about it!
-Vince
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Vince Chan on November 08, 2001 at 06:53 PM]

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
It is true that the Active line has been discontinued. There is a small amount of stock available - it hasn't all gone to the US.
It might take some hunting, however, to find it all.
----
Jeff
------------------
"They're coming to get you Barbara..."

Sania M

Agent
I will definitely have to call Paradigm. Why would they be so stupid to stop the Actives? Ahhh... I was already planning the trip for a month or 2. Maybe something better is in the works, but it still better be active. People are definitely warming up to the new and better type of speakers.
What do you guys think of an Outlaw 1050 at 300? I'd rather get DPL II w/ my receiver and I know the Onkyo 595 has it. I was just wondering w/ all actives wouldn't the receiver be good enough to handle the future surrounds by itself w/o an amp? Why is it that I need Pre/pro outs?
Oh, and you said there would be a rolloff on the Active 20's would this be nullified by the sub's crossover? I could set the subs XO at 80 or 60 hz right and still be above the minimum of the active 20's which I believe is 36 hz at -3db and is 32 for the active 40's? The numbers aren't really different, but I know after listening to the 2 that there seems to be a lot more base in the Active 40's.
As for the subs I was looking at the hsu is about 450 and so is the Paradigm 2200 across the border. Svs is 369 for a 25-31 tuned to 20 hz. I know I could get a junk receiver from somewhere to power it. Which looks like it would work best. The main thing in the SVS's favor is the small footprint. It's tough to hide the big boxes in places that don't make the bass sound like garbage. One day I'll be answering other's questions.
Thanks everyone.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I have the Paradigm Ref 20's and they are not shrill at all to me on the highs. In fact they are very warm and smooth paired with my Outlaw 750 amp. I am looking for a used pair of Active 20's so I can then move my fronts to the center rear surrounds.If anyone knows where I can get a pair of Active 20's in good condition I would appreciate the information. Sania, I would consider the Outlaw 1050 for your receiver. It is a great value.
------------------

Vince Chan

Stunt Coordinator
The line I got from the dealer who got it from a rep is that since Paradigm now owns Sonic Frontiers / Anthem which produces amplifiers, that it would be a 'contradiction' to carry the Active line, plus, there has been very little demand for the Actives.
-Vince
------------------
Link Removed

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
You need preamp outputs because the amplifiers are built into the speaker cabinets. They accept balanced (XLR) or unbalanced (RCA) cables. Each speaker comes bundled with a 25ft RCA cable to get you started.

Randy G

Second Unit
"Contradiction to carry the Active line...because Paradigm owns Sonic Frontiers/Anthem"?????
That has to be the #1 DumbAss-Pisspoor-Bullsh-t reason I've ever heard in my life. If Paradigm really said this, they should absolutely win an award for it.
------------------

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I don't think there was enough interest in the Active line to continue it.
Interesting note...apparently the amps used in the Reference Active line are the same amps used in Anthem's MCA series of amplifiers. No wonder they sound so good. :)
----
Jeff
------------------

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like I was really lucky - last week I brought 2 pairs of Active-40 from Canada.
One of my friends for a long time was trying to convince me that A-20 sounds nicer than A-40; his argument (which was true for v1) was that A-20 and A-40 were using this same amplification, with A-40 having more drivers to move. With v2 paradigm upgraded amps - and they really sing.
Now I will need subs...
I would recommend calling some dealers in Canada - LiveWire in Windsor was usually listed as decent place.
_zjt

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Dustin:
Paradigm's stance is that they are not announcing the end of the Active series yet - this is so to help dealers sell existing stock.
However, the line will indeed be discontinued. Whether or not this was to be public knowledge I don't know. Since a lot of people seem to know already, I can say I have read the official announcement for Paradigm (I work for a dealer). The line will be discontinued, but they wish to help dealers in selling off existing stock, so the announcement is not being made public.
----
Jeff
------------------

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Well, I'm still hoping your wrong or they bring something out to replace them. Other wise I'll be royally ticked. I was really looking foward to getting a set. How long it will take to save up the money for them I don't know. If they aren't being made anymore though, wouldn't really matter.
------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Sania M

Agent
My email to Paradigm a week ago.
If I have a sub crossover at 60 or 80 hz, why would I buy the Active 40's over the Active 20's? Can you tell me what the differences are? Thanks. Can you give me their list prices for the US and Canada too. Thanks. Oh and can you confirm that Paradigm is going to come out w/ a new line of Performance speakers? Are they going to do this w/ the Reference or Active line soon?
Response:
The Active Product line has been discontuied.
That's it. Now I know Paradigm is not stupid and it may have been a business decision, idiotic as it is, but I don't know if I can buy their speakers after they give me something like the actives and just take it away. I have been saving for quite a while and was almost there. This really pisses me off. Unless "disontuied" is Canadian for being improved or bettered or lowered in price, this is a real shame. To think I always thought wow Canadians are top of the line in the bargain speaker business. You still are, but I'm pissed. I don't get it though. Our local Paradigm dealer says the actives sell like crazy, hmm. People listen and get hooked. I saw a guy come in and specifically buy the Active 20's just in the time I was auditioning them. The only reason Paradigm doesn't do even better in the US is b/c the border crossers can get much better deals. Paradigm might make a great product, but no one wants to know someone else is getting the same prodcut for much less. You know just for that I'm going to audition some PSB's and I hope this time I really like them. There is no way in hell that I'm buying an Anthem amp either. I'm just going to blame them for the demise of the Active line. I can't buy from a company if I don't like the decisions they make. It doesn't make me feel safe as a longterm owner. I'm just going to sit here and be pissed for a long time. Actually I'm probably just going to save the money now unless I find another set of speakers that I really like. I could be happy w/ this Aiwa HT Bookshelf and canopener/mows your lawn sytem in one. I mean it only sounds horrible cause it's mowing your lawn too.
[Edited last by Sania M on November 09, 2001 at 02:04 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks