1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Paradigm Active 40's vs. Reference 100v2 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Beierlein, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Craig Beierlein

What would you choose the Paradigm Studio 100v.2 with a Bryston 4Bst Power Amplifier or an Active 40 for up front in my home theater.
    I will be using an Active CC and Surrounds.

2. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Is this setup to be used with music as well and for movies?
    Will you have a subwoofer?
    If yes/no - definitely go with the 4B-ST and the 100's!
    If yes/yes - I would still stay with the 4B-ST and the 100's.
    If no/no - I would stay with the 4B-ST and the 100's to provide some bottom end.
    If no/yes - This is the point at which I would recommend the Active 40's.
    Personally, the 4B-St and the Paradigm 100 V.2's make a fantastic front for the system that is much more flexible and future proof than the Active 40's.
    Good luck.
    Either way you will love the sound!
    Mike

3. Craig Beierlein

Mike, Yes I will be using a sub (Sunfire True Signature)
    It wil be used for 75% movies, 25% music, hence my thought of the 100's up front (for the music application)

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Mike I'm having a tough time getting through my head what you are trying to say there. How about redoing your little chart to make it easier to understand with less thought and expanding it a bit. Having the first part Music/Movies/Both. Music meaning 100% music, Movies meaning 100% movies and Both meaning well both. And keep the sub there not there. So:
    Music/Sub - ?
    Music/NoSub - ?
    Movies/Sub - ?
    Movies/NoSub - ?
    Both/Sub - ?
    Both/NoSub - ?
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

5. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

Craig,
    I'm going through the exact same thing you are (I'm the one who emailed you the name and number of the guy in canada).
    I'm leaning toward the studio 100v2 with a carver cinema grand. The bryston 4B is a killer amp, but a little pricey for two channels. I though about the Studio 60s for little while, but then I went and listened to both again and there was no decision to be made... the 100s hands down.
    What are you going to do for the rears as well. I'm torn between the Studio 20s and the Studio ADPs. I'm more of a home theater than music guy, but I prefer stereo for music.
    -Mike
    ------------------

6. Craig Beierlein

Mike_Reznick....
    I've owned the Cinema Grand Amp, and was not overly impressed. I think you can do better with a Parasound, or B&K amp.
    I've also owned both the 60's and 100's (v.1) and the 100's are a nice step up in overall impact-worth the upgrade.
    I've also demoed the ADP's and the 20's for surrounds and wound up with the ADP's. I felt they added a more realistic
    movie experience then the 20's