What's new

Paradigm Active 40 and others? (1 Viewer)

BobL

Agent
Does anyone have any experience with the active 40's? How about any other powered speaker for HT? The only other company that I know of that makes powered speakers for HT is Genelec. Is there other manufacturers? I plan to audition both Paradigm and Genelec soon.
Bryston Powerpacs and ?(so many choices) is still a consideration for me as well. I appreciate any input.
Bob

Randy G

Second Unit
Most audiophiles give powered speakers bad PR because they're used to unpowered speakers and aren't aware of the benefits of active crossovers, bi-amplification, custom designed amps, etc. Genelec makes some excellent powered monitors. So do NHT Pro, the JBL LSR series, Mackie, etc. Go try em out, and you might be pleasantly surprised. I've listened to the Paradigm Active 20's, and thought they sounded great! I don't like the cosmetics of the new series though...it seems that ALOT of manufacturers are cutting costs by eliminating veneer nowadays.

Greg Cellini

Agent
Hi Bob,
I have a Paradigm Active system consisting of the 40's, 20's, CC and Servo 15. I'm completely enamored with this system. They offer a level of performance unsurpassed by component-based systems costing far more than most mortals could afford.
Most people in the consumer audio industry have not readily embraced this technology. This has likely been influenced by the prevalence of A/V receivers and a general reluctance to part from convention. However the recording industry has almost universally embraced active speaker technology as its' preferred monitoring platform. The reasoning is obvious. Active technology allows the manufacturer the ability to custom-engineer components within the entire signal path from source-output to driver using line-level, active electronics rather than conventional, inefficient speaker-level components. The audible results are stunning and the price/performance ratio is unparalleled.
If you're interested, Mackie also manufactures an excellent Active speaker system that seems to be the benchmark for such products in the pro and semi-pro market. Here is the link: http://www.mackie.com/Products/HR824.asp
Mackie also provides some excellent and substantial information on the advantages of active vs. passive technologies.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Greg

BobL

Agent
Thank you Randy and Greg! I use JBL 6208's for my keyboard and like the sound. I mentioned on this board previously the thought of using recording monitors for HT and the general consensus was that I shouldn't. Stating that it would sound worse because they are designed as near field monitors and if I used them further away it wouldn't sound as good.
I have been auditioning many studio monitors and my current favorites are Mackie's and JBL LSR28P. Haven't tried NHT or meridian(seem a bit pricey) yet. IMHO I do feel active crossovers, Bi-amping and balanced cables have many advantages. That's why my stereo speakers are biamped. Infinity RS-IIb's with dual Carver M-500T amps and DIY crossover.
It does seem like some manufacturers are starting to go that way.

BobL

Agent
BTW Greg, I am considering your exact system. I can't wait to audition it at the dealer. I am also going to try the ADP surrounds and various subwoofers as well.

Greg Cellini

Agent
Hi Bob,
You wrote: "I mentioned on this board previously the thought of using recording monitors for HT and the general consensus was that I shouldn't. Stating that it would sound worse because they are designed as near field monitors and if I used them further away it wouldn't sound as good."
If I took my Active 20's and placed them NEAR my recording console, what would I have? You guessed it-NEAR field monitors. By placing monitors close to your listening position and away from artifact inducing reflective surfaces, thereby reducing room related anomalies, you've created a near field listening environment. If you cut through the advertising crap, you'll realized that "near field" simply means "monitors that are small enough to sit on the back of a recording console". All quality speakers are designed to accurately disperse mid and high frequencies in as wide a pattern as possible. This, in fact, is one of the notable features of the Mackie and Paradigm systems. Both are excellent designs; the Paradigm, obviously, has the asthetic advantage (wood veneer).
Best wishes,
Greg

BobL

Agent
Hi Greg,
Thanks for all your responses. I didn't think there was much difference in the actual driver designs between monitors and speakers.
I was curious what you use as a preamp? I am considering the Bryston SP-1. I've also looked at the lexicon, integra research and sunfire. I would like a preamp with balanced outputs. Open to any ideas.
Thanks again
Bob

Randy G

Second Unit
If you're interested in Lexicon, email me at [email protected] for a 25% discount. Also Denon, Velodyne, Sherbourn, Toshiba, Mission, PSB, and Onkyo
ps- the old Paradigm, which were COMPLETELY veneered looked the best IMHO.

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
I think everyone has missed a HUGE name in powered speakers and that would be Miller & Kreisel. The M&K THX-250P's are used in LOTS of top name recording studios!! While they aren't cheap (I think about $2400.00ea) they do sell the lesser powered 150P's ($1800.00ea) which H.T. mag stated are the best speaker in the M&K line! The 250P's use a 150W/150W amp combo while the 150P's use a 90W/90W amp combo. Depending on how you plan on using them I would remember this. For a 80%+ H.T. set up, I would say go with M&K since it is written (some say in blood!..lol) that you want 3 identical speakers upfront. If you are closer to a 50/50 music/HT then the Paradigms might be your answer. I found the Para. 40's to go deeper then the M&K's which I prefer.
There are MANY opinions about Paradigms Active Series vs. M&K Powered Series. I would just say " LISTEN TO BOTH!". I personally love both Paradigms and M&K's so I am in a no lose battle!
Mike

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
If you want to keep costs down, a great choice is the JBL LSR25P. It is an extremely neutral speaker, will play loud and disappears physically as they are quite small. Five of these and a subwoofer is a fantastic combo and they can be had at a Guitar Center or Mars near you for $249 a piece.

BobL

Agent
Hi Mike,
I listened to the M&K S-150P already and like you didn't go low enough for me. If HT was my only love I'd consider them. I was thinking about using Active 40 for the center as well. I haven't been to the paradigm dealer yet so I am not sure if they are only sold in pairs. I didn't know they made a powered version of the 250, so I called the dealer and he doesn't have any yet. It isn't on M&K website either. They are pricey though. Thanks for your help.
Bob

BobL

Agent
Hi Randy,
Thanks for your reply. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to go with the Lexicon MC-12. So far though I'm leaning toward the Bryston for various reasons.
Bob

Greg Cellini

Agent
Hi Bob,
I'm using a Lexicon MC-1. It's a fantastic unit, however, it (probably) will not be able to accept a DVD-A Digital output (ASSUMING THE PARANOID INDUSTRY BASTARDS EVER IMPLEMENT ONE!). Sorry, it's a touchy subject for me :) There are expansion ports on the back of the MC-1, but they completely bypass the internal processing.
The best thing going right now, as you know, is the MC-12, but 10-grand is a pretty big lump of cabbage. I've heard excellent things about the Integra Research and Tag McClaren (spelling????) units.
In any event, the processing on the Lexicons (MC-1 and MC-12) is second to none. Something to consider.
Have fun.
Greg

BobL

Agent
Hi Greg
Thanks again. The MC-12 is nice but price was a factor. If I got it I would definitely be eating to other areas of my planned system. My friend has the MC-1 and I get to play with that one frequently. It is a great unit. I hear Lexicon has a great upgrade policy as well. In fact my friend is checking into upgrading to the MC-12. Depending on what they offer him, I might get his cheap. If I get it I will probably use an active balancer and still use balanced cables. That would make my decision easier.
Bob

Mike Burke

Stunt Coordinator
BobL,
You have to click on the "M&K Professional" section at the bottom to get info on the 250P's. When i asked Tech support they said the tweeter is the only difference (Can't remember what the exact specs were though) between the reg S150's vs. S250's.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks