Paradigm 5 vs 7's.....

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RyanJE, Jan 21, 2006.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Hi all, I haven't posted in a long time but its good to be back. I was looking into upgrading from Paradigm mini's to a monitor 5 or 7.

The place I got my speakers from allows me to bring in my mini's within 1 year from purchase and receive a full credit toward an upgrade.

So is the price dif between the 7's and 5's worth it? I already have stands so that shouldnt be an issue with the 5's. (they arent great stands tho).

What do you all think???

2. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Studio 20s!

3. AlanZ

AlanZ Screenwriter

I agree with Mackie....if you can swing it, and your room isn't huge, I'd go up to the studio line if possible. Big improvement over the Monitors.

4. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

All the bigger monitors will give you is deeper bass, a slightly different midrange signature that you may or may not like, and more sensitivity. Unless you have problems with them distorting at the levels you want to play at (may or may not be fixed with more sensitive/higher power handling speakers) I would get the 20's or another similar quality speaker.

5. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

How much do the 20's typically run, I know it varies,

My only concern with that is then Ill have to wait to get the center to match the studios. Are the studios that much of an upgrade??

6. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Studio 20s retail for $800 but you can almost always get them for 10% less. The CC-470 is about $650. AT $800 the 20s are a great value.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'd seriously look at the CMT-340 at www.ascendacoustics.com Less than the 20s, and will outperform them for less $$.

The 20s are worth it over the 5s. I've owned 5s and I also had 20s and 40s in my setup. My choice would be 40s or 60s.

8. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

With all due respect, please note that this is an opinion. Ascend seems to make good speakers, but I've never seen a professional or amateur head-to-head comparison of these two products where measurements were part of the discussion. A flat frequency response by itself doesn't count since it doesn't reflect distortion, dispersion and other very important performance measures. In fact, I've never seen in depth measurements of the CMT-340s but the 20s measurements are posted all over the net.

9. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Thanks all for your input so far!!

Im not sure if you guys caught this but I was going to trade in the Mini's for a full refund toward an upgrade. Unfortunately that means it has to be something the dealer stocks. Im gonna get a full list and get back to you all once I do.

I know so far they carry def tech, paradigm, klipsch.

10. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Listen to all three brands. There are a few gems in each one. I like the Def Tech PM 700 and the Klipsch RF-5. The RF-5 might be discontinued or being discontinued shortly, so there may be a deal to be had there. I own Studio 40s for my main L&R speakers and use 20s for my surrounds.

11. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

IMO its hard to beat paradigm in bang for buck without going internet direct. The 20's are a fine speaker. Much better than the mini monitors. My paradigm dealer has a very nice setup and I always found the monitors to be lacking after listening to the studios. I am an ascend convert myself. I was going to buy studio 40's before I heard Ascends. If can get a full refund on trade-in the 20's might be your ticket.

12. Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE Screenwriter

Jacob, which Ascends did you go with? Did you chose their sub as well?

13. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

lol, I am converted but poor. Last time I was about to order speakers I ended up blowing my money on expensive car repairs so as of yet no dice. However, my full intention is to start with a stereo pair then add a sub etc. My final system will have 340SE's across the front and 170SE's for surrounds. I feel that should be sufficient for any room that I would set this up in. I want the 340s up front for better dynamics and the capacity to play louder with less distortion. My current room is very small so I am debating if I should get the 170s or the 340s first. Since I will not be getting a sub right away I want the 340s for deeper bass but the 170's are probably better in my room. Thing is I am moving in spring/summer and I don't know what kind of arrangements I will have there. If I have a large room I will want the 340s. Decisions decisions....

Anyway the 170s compete with the studio 20's and the 340's with the studio 40's. My opinions is, and others have voiced the same, the the ascends are more transparent, clear and accurate over all. The mids are better in the ascends perhaps giving a little away in the highs to the studios. I have a feeling that the new signature editions ascends (which I hope to order soon) will be much better with the highs. The studios do image a little better which is important to me but the accuracy and the lower price of the ascends won out for me. If the imaging and the highs are better with the signature edition I would say they are better hands down. The new tweeter is supposed to be much better so I have my hopes up a bit.

I hope that helps. I would find someone in your area with ascends and listen to them. If I were in your situation I would start there. If you like the ascends ask your paradigm dealer if you can bring some speakers in to compare. They might go for it if you offer to buy on the spot if their speakers are better. Take some time to learn how to properly AB speakers first if you've never done it. It is vital that you understand how it should be done so you can bust your salesman if he tries to tip things in his favor unfairly. I worked in floor sales for a year and at least half of those I worked with would do about anything to close a sale. Also they don't like to hear that you are bringing in internet speakers. It scares them. If you do listen to some ascend classics and like them I am sure the SEs will be better.

Oh, if you order ascends you can get a refun within 30 days if you decide they are not for you. I think all you pay is the shipping.

Best of luck.