What's new

Paradigm 40 v 60's (1 Viewer)

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
Coming close to making my final selection.

Looking between the studio 40's and 60's.

In my auditioning, the 60's were just a tad deeper than the 40's. Not a big deal as I will be using a sub for much of my listening.

Room size about 14 x 25.
Receiver is Denon 4802.

Listening - 75% movies 25% music with maybe 5% critical listening.

They differ in price by about $200. With the cost of stands, not a lot of difference.

Thoughts?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Do a search, there are many opinions on these, many seem to like the 40's better than anything in the line, even the 100's. They seem to have the cleanest and clearest mid range. And great bass. Price is negligable after stands, so do you want towers or bookshelves? That is the question I guess. I like the look of the 40's more as well.

Todd_B

Second Unit
^ Exactly.

I went w/the 40s due to room contraints and having a 'capable' sub. No regret what-so-ever.

HT 70%/Games & Music 30%.

Todd B

Jeffrey_B

Agent
I have a question about the Studio 40s: Can they be positioned horizontally? My layout dictates I position bookshelf speakers that way. I am too looking at Paradigms (Monitor and Studio line) and the Polk Lsi9s. Does anyone know if the Polks are more in line with the Monitors or the Studios (not price-wise, but performance-wise).

Another question - which I guess should be a separate post - Can the Paradigm ADPs be placed in the REAR rather than the sides, and directly behind the listener? My seating position is right up against the back wall and I'm not sure if the ADPs are the right choice. The mini monitors or Monitor3s would protrude out about a foot from the wall behind me and I'm concerned the sound will just pass over rather than be directed at the listeners. I like the layout of the Polk Lsi/FX which appear to have the speakers at about a 90 degree angle from each other; the ADPs look to be almost 180. Sorry for the rambling, but any input would be appreciared. JEFF

itai

Stunt Coordinator
yes, the adp's are perfect as rears, actualy!
i've used mine on the back wall (sofa touching the wall), mounted on two sides of the seating width, and they did an amazing job.
its like having two direct firing speakers, when those dipoles are directed at your ear, (strait 180, btw) as you said, better than the monitors.
btw, that made me realize i liked direct firing speakers better!

David Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
In my research (with my ears and Internet readings), it seems that there is a very slight difference in sound. After all is said and done, however, I think it comes down to the point of whether you like the look of your speakers on stands or not. The cost will darn near the same.

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, going with the 40's. Was actually able to negotiate a better deal (dispite what other threads say about Pardigm pricing policy).

Edward M

Stunt Coordinator
I know the decision looks to be made but I just wanted to add my opinion anyway.

I have the 40's as mains. I chose them over the 60's because I thought the midrange sounded clearer, I like the look of them on stands, and I like to be able to move my speakers around at times to improve imaging, or to accommodate more than one home theater listener. The 60's seemed to heavy at 80# each and there is no convenient place to grab. I'm about 80% music / 20% movies in my listening so I needed a sub which could make them sound like the large floorstanders. After alot of listening to many subs in my room I ended up with an ACI Titan II LE.

As for surrounds I strongly considered the ADP's but thought it was best for me to instead buy 4 studio 20's.

And of course rounding it out is a studio CC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks