What's new

Paradigm 3se placement question (1 Viewer)

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
I've been considering the 3se's to replace my front LCR channels for my listening and HT. Currently, my LCR's are all tidily tucked inside my Media Niche.

To replace the LCR speakers, I would have to alleviate my center speaker and place them horizontally on top of my Mits 55" rear proj.

Visually this would look fine however I'm worried that the 3se's aren't magnetically shielded and may affect picture quality and will imaging suffer from this type of speaker placement. I have read some threads where some are running without a center to accomodate better fronts and running "phantom". I'm sure my pio 1014 can be set-up this way.

I can't have them on the floor or on stands due to "little fingers" in the house.

50% ht and 50% music...worth the sacrifice of the center channel for a "size" upgade from Athena Micra6's?

Please help...I may be able to get into the Paradigms for under $100/pair.

Thanks in advance!

Angelo

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The projector is in the lower portion of the RPTV, so the magnetic field should not affect the picture.

Side by side horizontally on the TV is going to give you almost no separation at all for sound in the front, though a phanom center channel setup might work well for you then.

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John,
Thanks for replying to most of my posts...nice to see a "local" in these parts too. I'm in Redwood City during the day.

So, horizontal placement does no justice to the speakers...worth the money still or just be happy with my Athenas?

I heard back from the seller, it looks as though they are the Mini's 14hx8x8 etc. Even with the smaller size and placing them as far apart as possible on the TV's roof; the sound will suffer?

I appreciate your replies.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Horizontal placement isn't the problem, it's having them so close together. Depending on how far you sit from them, I'd say they'd like at least 6' between them to get good separation. With that not an option, I'd say they'll still work the way you suggest for now; meaning it won't be an optimum setup, but it shouldn't sound bad either.

I haven't heard the Micras, but comparing specs, the Minis are going to give you more extension, which will likely translate into better midrange in this case (~70hz for M3SE vs ~100Hz for the Micra sat).

The only thing that might be a slight issue is if you wanted to keep them as mains, you may find it tough to find a matching center down the road. You could drop these guys out back though and use them as surrounds, so it's not a huge concern.

There's a decent number of local HTFers :D

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
Gad Darnit I hate this forum...the more I read it the more my wallet SHRINKS!!!

Now, I'm considering the Paradigms...definitely looking at an SVS pb10...I guess I wouldn't be in this current predicament if I never turned on my pc...

I know the separation and imaging will suffer because my JBL MR26's are approx the same height as the 3se's and I tried the same set-up with them on top of my Mits. OK for direct 2-channel but lacked the spacial quality vs. when they were 10 feet apart. BTW, I'd actually keep my JBL's if the surrounds hadn't deteriorated (I know, kits etc., just another excuse to buy buy buy).

Anyone out that you know of locally running an SVS PB10? I'd love to hear it in person before jumping another $200 for my sub choice.

Did I mention I hate this forum??? Ugh...what a problem; how do I spend the money that I don't have?

And John, thanks again!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Must be your lucky day...LOL. I have a PB-10 and you are welcome to come hear it :) This weekend isn't good, but next might be OK.

I think a large number of people who frequent this forum are in that boat. :D I know I wouldn't own most of the stuff I have if it weren't for this forum too. All of my speakers are internet direct and I couldn't be happier.

AngeloEug

Stunt Coordinator
no no no...how in the world did I KNOW you were going to say that. Thanks for the invite...however it may not be so feasible. With my little ones at home with me on the weekends (wife only works on the weekends) I feel it would be too much of an imposition to tote them along for the sound check.

If you were to extend the invitation during the day M-F or during a lunch etc. I'd be there with your favorite 6-pack and a couple of CD's.

BTW, I'm sending you a PM for a side note.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks