1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Paradigm 20's..anyone a-b'ed them with..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TommyL, Jan 11, 2003.

1. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

JBL s26's at all?(I don't want o waste a trip to Canada[​IMG] Or anything close in sound to them? I am looking at the studio 20's all around with a studio CC...I think my JBLs sound pretty good...but I'm wondering if I'm missing something[​IMG] Anyone have a setup like this...I use a marantz sr8200 currently/SVS 2039pci as part of my setup. thanks much! TL

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There should be no question. These speakers are not in the same category. The 20s will pair very well with the 8200.

3. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

Wow...Not even in the same league?? I know my HT can sound better, but that much? John, would this be true of Home theater-wise sound/effects as much as music? thanks for the reply! tom..ps...pricing I received was 668 for studio 20's (canadian) 508 for the center channel, 888 for the studio 40's a pair...all canadian pricing...seem ok?

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

John said it right, the JBLs will be a little more effecient and at first you will think a better deal but trust me they will get old quick, the Paridigm Studio 20s are considered to be one of the finest loadspeakers made at any price, they are that good. I dont think you will ever hear the same thing said about the JBL, which for what they are do fine, not apples to apples.

5. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

6. Mike L-field

Mike L-field Agent

I have owned both. I needed a pair of speakers for my bedroom set up - pretty much for going to sleep music. I was using Studio 20 for rear surrounds with the 40s up front, in my HT setup.

The JBLs sounded quite good when first set up. Sadly, not nearly as good as the Paradigm Studio 20. My wife, who has better hearing than I, and who listens much less critically than I, noticed right away that the JBLs weren't even close to the paradigms. So we returned the JBLs; bought some Paradigm ADPs for my main system surrounds, moved the 20's to my bedroom, and we are both much happier. My .02

7. John Garcia

John

8. Michael_V

Michael_V Second Unit

John,

Now I am curious! What is the best speaker you have heard in this price range?

M

9. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

Hmm... I'm curious too.

Is there anything that competes with the studio20 at the price of $420US? (we canadians have all the fun =)

10. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Check it out I did not say the finest but I said one of the finest loadspeakers made at any price, I stand by that statement. Personaly I use NHTs Super Ones but I would rather have the Paridigms. You Canadians do have all the fun. . .
    1 more thing, put an Anthem electronics behind them and for the money you are hard pressed to do better, you may do as good but better. . . .

11. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

I just got Ascend 170's and they blow away my previous Atoms and Mini-Monitors. I was shocked at the difference. My wife who loves music but hates stereo stuff immediately noticed the difference.

I got the 170's on a whim for our bedroom and decide to A/B as a lark. They will now go in the main system and I will have to decide wether to buy more or live with the Paradigms in the bedroom.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Studio 20's to compare them for you.

I'm running these on a Marantz SR7200. I just bought the Marantz(replacing a Marantz 4130 2 channel) and after hooking it up my wife and I were like no wonder these Paradigms are so well received. We noticed the same kind of improvement with the Ascend Acoustic CBM 170's over the Paradigms.

12. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Definitely check out the Axiom Line. As for a speaker that rivals the Studio 20's and 40's, the Axiom M22ti... 400 USD, can be had for less from a Canadian dealer, I got mine for only 320 USD shipped, brand new. Another choice could be the Dahlquist QX6's.

-Brian

13. John Garcia

John
    Sorry, the Axioms are very good yes, but they do not rival the Studio line.