What's new

Paradigm 100 v.3 – B&W 804 dilemma… please help! (1 Viewer)

Mike_Jo

Agent
I was almost set to buy Paradigm 100 v.3 after auditioning them (well I auditioned 60’s and just assumed that the 100s will be better) last week but auditioned some B&W 804’s speakers today and now I am CONFUSED!

The B&W 804’s sounded really good. Clear and smooth but was powered by an 80 watt amp whereas the Paradigms were powered by a 200 watt Sunfire amp. Thus, I need to ask for advice from you experts again. How good are the Paradigm 100 v.3 compared to B&W 804? Has anyone auditioned for these two speakers and which one did you end up getting… why? I read somewhere that the Paradigm 100 v.3 are as good as the high end B&W Nautilus line. Is this true?

Additional question… what system would be better for 70% movies 30% movies system
1)Paradigm 100’s and studio cc + 20 side surrounds + studio cc rear
2)B&W 804 fronts and nautilus HTM 2 center + B&W CM or 600 series bookshelf speakers for my surrounds and rear.

Finally… for people who are familiar with B&W. How big is the difference between 804 and CDM 9NT?

Thanks

Nicko

Auditioning
No expert advice here. HOWEVER, I would audition the 100s before you make a commitment, because I was kinda in the same boat as you. I auditioned the 60s and loved them and assumed the 100s would sound better, but when I auditioned the 100s I prefered the 60s sound MUCH more.

Samuel J

Auditioning
You need to go back and listen to the 804's with proper amplification. 80 watts can not do justice to speakers in the Nautilus line. If you listened to the 804's with a clean 200 watt (or more) amp, you will be less confused about the decision. The Paradigm studio 60's and 100's are great sounding speakers and a terrific bang for the buck. But, I think it's a bit unfair to compare them to the Nautilus line up (as long as you are not using an 80 watt receiver to audition the Nautilus speakers and comparing it to a speaker with a 200 watt amp!!). However, Paradigm is soon coming out with a higher end speaker line-up which will probably compete well with the Nautilus series.

In regard to the CDM 9NT, it has the same Nautilus FST midrange driver as the 804 and the same Nautilus tweeter design. The biggest differences are inside (crossover, matrix design). The CDM 9nt is a really great speaker for about $1000 less than the 804. Is there a big difference between the two? Yes, but is it $1000 worth the difference? Let your ears decide. I chose the CDM 9NT's over the 804's because of my set-up. I have a Rotel 1065 100 watt receiver and it does pretty well with the CDM's (even though the speakers deserve more). I just can't afford, at this time, a separate power amp that the 804's really need to reach their full potential. If you have enough power to make the speakers sing to their full potential, I think the 804's provide better clarity and cleaner and tighter bass.

In my opinion, a more fair comparison would be between the Studio 100's vs. the CDM 9NT. I still feel the CDM's would come out on top, but that's with my ears and these are just my opinions. Not everyone has the same taste in speakers, so the bottom line is - go listen to the speakers (with proper amplification) and let your ears and your musical taste be the judge.

You might also want to check out Vandersteen and Sonus Faber. They make some terrific speakers too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks