What's new

Parad 20's (f&r) vs. jbl 38's (f&r) vs. inf IL 10 (f&r) (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
All of these combo's would be mated with their matching centers. I will probably get a svs sub no matter which I get. What is going to be the best overall sound? What is going to be the best for price/performance ratio?

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
For price vs. performance, I'd recommend the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) Innovations 2000 Design and Engineering Award winner, JBL S38.
The prized component in these JBLs is the titanium tweeter, which could create a very clean, precise sound. Cymbals, trumpets, saxophones and violins were reproduced accurately without any hint of colouration. Notes started and stopped without hesitation; JBL has made one of the best-sounding tweeters around.
Daniel Kumin for January 2000 Sound&Vision Mag. S38* bookshelf wrote
Pros:
Great sound
Dynamic prowess
Impressive imaging

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you do a cost comparison, the 20s are not in the same realm as the JBLs or Infinitys, and they will certainly outperform either.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Todd, here are some specs to help you discern better......

Paradigm S20 = Two way speaker

JBL S38 = Three way speaker

Infinity IL10 = Two way speaker

(There are trade offs for two way setups)

Paradigm S20 Freq. Response ±2dB from 54Hz - 20kHz

JBL S38 Freq. Response (–3dB): 45Hz – 20kHz

Infinity IL10 Freq. Response (±3dB): 56Hz - 22kHz

Paradigm S20 Tweeter: 1" (25mm) PAL™ pure-aluminum dome

JBL S38 Tweeter: 1" Pure-titanium dome with EOS™ waveguide

Infinity IL10 Tweeter: 1" (25mm) C.M.M.D.

Paradigm S20 Sensitivity: 86dB

JBL S38 Sensitivity: 89dB

Infinity IL10 Sensitivity: 88dB

Paradigm S20 Driver: 165mm (6.5").(The arrogant bastards don't even convert the metrics for the US customers)

JBL S38 Driver: 8"

Infinity IL10 Driver: 6-1/2" (165mm) C.M.M.D.

Paradigm Crossover: 1.5kHz

JBL Crossovers: 800Hz, 3200Hz

Infinity IL10 Crossover: 2800Hz

Based on the specs, the above comment about them not being in the same league probably does apply, however, not in the way the author intended. Let your ears help you with the decision

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Wow, this is a tough one. But to my ears, I'd have to go with the Infinities or JBLs. I own the IL10's and I love the sound of the Infinity drivers, I was using them as my mains and surrounds until I got my Prelude MTS'. I still use them as surrounds and I don't see any reason to change. They have a very clean, neutral sound that really lends itself well to music and HT. I don't think there's a better sounding bookshelf speaker out there for

KyleS

Screenwriter
I have not listened to the JBL S38 speakers but purchased the Infinity IL-10 speakers after comparing them to the Studio 20's. Both speakers were driven by the same Rotel package and the 20's IMO just didnt sound nearly as good. The 40's were better then the IL 10's but at a considerable cost difference. You really need to get out and listen for yourself to decide which is the better speaker for your ears. The Infinity IL-10's, as stated above, are one of the best choices within their price bracket.

(I also used the 10's as main speakers until they were replaced with Interlude 60 floor standing speakers. Now they reside as my back speakers)

KyleS

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Based on the specs, the above comment about them not being in the same league probably does apply, however, not in the way the author intended.
COST wise, they are not in the same league, or did you miss that part?

Performance wise, well, I have not listened to the S38, but I have not been impressed with any of JBLs previous home speakers. There is a big difference between the IL10 and the Studio 20. For the PRICE, I would be satisfied with the IL10s. If cost was no matter, I would probably not choose the 20s, I would go with something else.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
John,

>If you do a cost comparison, the 20s are not in the same >realm as the JBLs or Infinitys, and they will certainly >outperform either.

You said the 20's will outperform either the JBL's or Infinity's......which is what I disagree with, especially since you haven't listened to them. If I were to judge these solely on the spec's I'd pick the JBL's.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You can put out all the specs you want, but as you already said, how a speaker actually sounds is a different matter. I used the term performance incorrectly, what I mean to say is that, the 20s will do an excellent job of reproducing sound the way I feel it should sound. Without hearing the S38, I can't say it is a poor speaker, but I will still expect the 20s to do a better job. I may have to break down and go listen to them :)

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I would highly recommend you give them a listen. I bet you'd be surprised.....It "may" change your mind about the JBL S-series. I personally find them to be much clearer with better midrange than the N-series....But my ears are old....

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
I have to recommend the JBL S38 hands down! I'm using four of them, two for the mains, two for the surrounds, plus an S-Center and a PB 12 sub. I'm running everything from a Yamaha RXV 995. Incredible sound! I had a couple of friends who work at studio sound departments come over and they were blown away. I also figured if I'm going to be listening some day to discreet 5.1 music only, I want all of my speakers to be timber matched perfectly. I couldn't ask for a better speaker. Highest commendations to JBL for customer service as well. I had a JBL D110 sub that failed and JBL replaced it with a brand new PB 12!
Jeff
P.S. HI PHIL!!! THANKS AGAIN!!! :) :) :)

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Hey Jeff!! Your most certainly welcome! :emoji_thumbsup:
JBL Studio Series loudspeakers more than meet the challenge, accurately re-creating the surround sound or stereo recording environment to reproduce movie soundtracks and music with remarkable realism.
Enjoy Jeff,
Phil

Jeff Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
"Yep, having a home consumer HT Speaker set that has the same neutral, uncolored, detailed and spatially accurate sound quality heard by the pros, . . . just might have something to do with their reaction!"
Phil,
One of my pro friends is now using JBL S38s as near field monitors for production mixing in his studio!!! I demonstrated "Gladiator", "Titanic", and those great new classical recordings in DTS from the "Fantasia 2000" dvd. He was absolutely astounded, especially when I told him what I paid for my system (internet prices) and he just couldn't believe it. He has been mixing on ultra expensive studio monitors.
I'll definitely check out the Diana Kralls dvd. I also love replaying some of my old CDs that I haven't heard in years. It's like hearing them again for the first time. I'm hearing details, clarity and imaging that I never heard before. For home theater reproduction, I don't think any system can come close to this for the price. Even some reviewers claim these speakers surpass those costing thousands more. I currently have four of those gorgeous beech colored 38s and I'm going to buy two more for my 7.1 upgrade.
Again Phil, thank you for your invaluable advice. You helped me select JBL and you helped me set up my system. I now consider it a reference quality system thanks to you! :) :) :)
Jeff

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
Phil,
I am curious to hear about your 25-31pci/jbl combo. I am looking to do a similar combo (4 s38's, s-center, 25-31 pci h/k 520). Let us know what you think;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks