What's new

Paper Moon, Targets, Daisy Miller & What's Up, DOC out next year (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/08_05.html
In other upcoming title news, director Peter Bogdonavich recently gave an interview to Video Premieres Magazine, discussing work he has recently undertaken with producer Laurent Bouzereau to prepare many of his biggest films for DVD release. "I asked to work with Laurent," said Bogdanovich, "he's excellent at what he does." Titles include the Oscar winner Paper Moon, the controversial Targets and Daisy Miller. The director has already begun recording commentaries for the releases, all tentatively due from Paramount in 2003, which will join another of the director's favorites, What's Up Doc?, as part of Warner's new Barbra Streisand collection, also due in 2003. Watch for more details in the coming months.
------------------------------------------------------------
This is absolutely great news
:emoji_thumbsup:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Great news, Oscar! :)
I was rabiting on about Targets not being on DVD over at the IMDb a few weeks ago, so now I'll have to reprise my The High And The Mighty rants! :D Michael Wayne - I am coming after you! :angry:
Thanks again.
Gordo

Jodee

Screenwriter
This news makes this Bogdanovich fan jump for joy.
Thank you Paramount! I am so glad they are not neglecting Targets & Daisy Miller while they release Paper Moon.
Now if we could only get these studios to release the rest of Bogdanovich's work:
Fox - At Long Last Love
Columbia - Nickelodeon
Buena Vista - Noises Off
Does anyone know who has the rights to They All Laughed? Apparently the VHS was put out by HBO Home Video but I'm not sure if they would have the DVD rights.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Thanks, Oscar! I'd reserve my copy of Targets now if I could. Could this movie be more relevant?

Jodee

Screenwriter
Targets is one of the coolest movies ever!

It's a scary movie, but not in a "horror" kind of way, more of a "real life" scary movie. And in fact, with all mass shootings we've seen in recent years, it seems to be very ahead of its time.

Ever since I saw Targets, I can't drive past one of those oil tanks alongside the highway without cringing a bit.

There is no musical score, which only makes it all the more suspenseful.

Boris Karloff is also excellent.

And the final shot is just amazing.

This has been one of my most-wanted movies on DVD ever since I saw it on AMC a few years ago (letterboxed.)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Jodee
Thanks for the info about Targets, looks like I will get when this one comes out.
cheers

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
As to They All Laughed: from what I recall, the original studio (Time/Life Films) didn't want to release it, so Bogdonavich bought the film back from them and did his own distribution under the company name "Moon Pictures" -- probably a nod to Paper Moon. This cost him a fortune (especially since the film, although getting good reviews, didn't do well at the box office) and led to his first bankruptcy. I would assume that the rights were auctioned off during the bankruptcy proceedings. According to the IMDb, MGM appears to have had it at one point; they probably still do.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
just visited http://www.davisdvd.com/News/daily_news.htm and we have some specific date for all three
BOGDANOVICH ON DVD
I mentioned them in a news update last month, but I now can give you a better release timetable for filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich's upcoming DVDs. Look for Paramount to release his 1968 feature debut Targets (fantastic film!), 1973's Paper Moon (another classic!) and 1974's Daisy Miller in April 2003, and 1972's What's Up Doc? from Warner Bros this December.*

Thomas Hart

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully, "Paper Moon" will include the original trailer which includes some hilarious bloopers and outtakes NOT in the film. Unfortunately, with Paramount track record with putting trailers on their DVDs with any regularity, I'm not holding my breath (especially since the trailer has old 1930's music in it).

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup: I'm looking forward to Targets. Powerful film, and a great swan song for Karloff. All this and a Bogdanovich commentary! Excellent.
Really.
Scary...!

Jodee

Screenwriter
I really hope that the Targets DVD does not get delayed because of the current sniper situation in the news.
If anything, the current events makes it even more important to be released.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Just did a search for this topic, because I re-visited Paper Moon tonight on TiVo. Man is that a great little movie! I'll keep a close eye on this thread, and hopefully someone will stop by eventually with a set release date.
Looking forward to seeing this gorgeous b/w flick in widescreen!!

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
TARGETS is an absolute classic which I feel is often overlooked! Excellent, excellent film, and I am one happy sucker that it will at long last be hitting DVD! April 2003 can't come soon enough!

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Thanks for the nostalgic reminder. I saw "Targets" at a free preview screening on the UC Berkeley campus in '68. Bogdonavich spoke about the movie afterwards and entertained questions. He was completely unknown at that point.

The movie was disturbingly scary then, and probably has retained its impact.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I am reviving this thread because I noticed that Paramount has annonced street dates for most of its April releases, and none of these films (Paper Moon, Targets, or Daisy Miller) were included.

I'm hoping they did not get pushed back, but if they did get pushed back, I'm hoping they are still coming out.

Has anyone heard anything more about Paramount's release plans for these titles? I cannot wait!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Argh! I hope these haven't been delayed. Been waiting for Targets long enough already...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks