What's new

International Paper Moon (1973) UK Blu-ray - 5/18/15 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I actually purchased this title from Amazon.uk...hoping my player would handle it (there had been talk that some Pioneer players could play certain other-region discs).

Alas, it couldn't. I had to find it another good home. I assume it has adapted well to its new surroundings. :D

Before the posts start pouring in about how I should buy a multi-region player, I'm happy with what my current player is doing for me right now and I have chosen, instead, to be patient. (It ain't always easy...but I like my current player and don't want to add a second to my system.)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I actually purchased this title from Amazon.uk...hoping my player would handle it (there had been talk that some Pioneer players could play certain other-region discs).

Alas, it couldn't. I had to find it another good home. I assume it has adapted well to its new surroundings. :D

Before the posts start pouring in about how I should buy a multi-region player, I'm happy with what my current player is doing for me right now and I have chosen, instead, to be patient. (It ain't always easy...but I like my current player and don't want to add a second to my system.)
Your last paragraph is EXACTLY my situation.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I held the same position for years until I finally sprung for an Oppo BDP-105, added a region-free kit, and never looked back. I don't miss my old player one little bit. ;)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
If you have a region free player, you don't need two players. Just retire the old one to your bedroom.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would need a region-free player to also play all the high-rez audio disc formats.

But, as I clearly noted, I can be patient for Paper Moon. And I certainly have enough backlog on my shelves that I don't need any other-region titles.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
But, as I clearly noted, I can be patient for Paper Moon.

Patience was something I had thought about since this thread started.

I ran out of it, based on the fact that we haven't seen any movement on the Paramount catalog in the past two years.

We don't even know who has rights to it now.

So, I am *assuming* nothing is forthcoming in the immediate future.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And when I need to buy my next player, that's what I'll probably get. But I can't justify the expense against the extra value considering what I have now. That's all.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...] you know that MOC offers transfers every bit as good as Criterion's.
It is, in fact, the might-as-well-be-Criterion label of the UK.
No higher praise, indeed. Inspired, to say the least. You gotta love it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Patience was something I had thought about since this thread started.

I ran out of it, based on the fact that we haven't seen any movement on the Paramount catalog in the past two years.

We don't even know who has rights to it now.

So, I am *assuming* nothing is forthcoming in the immediate future.

A whole bunch of Paramount titles are available overseas, as you are probably aware:

ROMEO AND JULIET
ATLANTIC CITY
THE ELEPHANT MAN
GALLIPOLI
KING KONG (1976)
THE NAKED PREY
PAPER MOON
A SIMPLE PLAN
WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

plus others I have missed. My guess is that there will continue to be Paramount releases on Blu-ray in the UK and other European countries, while we get only the occasional Criterion title.

Reactions: PMF

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
<cough>Oppo<cough> :)

I have an Oppo myself, but I have to admit they are overpriced. There's a big selection of region free players, and some of them have many of the Oppo's features like SACD play, etc. The only Oppo feature that remotely matters that I am aware of that is only available on the Oppo is MKV playing from thumb drives and hard drives. It's possible to get a very good region free player for $150-$200.

Reactions: PMF

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
They're not cheap, but aside from their capabilities and build quality one of the things you're paying extra for is Oppo's *excellent* customer service. If you have a problem they're on it, and they regularly update the firmware on their players. Personally I think they're worth the price.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I have owned two Oppo blu-ray players. They are uniquely able to move subtitles up or down to the desired location. The 105D has a built-in Darbee processor and both the picture and sound quality are the best of any blu-ray player I have tried out. The overall quality is also better than other players I have owned and I have resolved not to purchase a 4K player unless it is an Oppo. Most of the blu ray films I purchase are region A from the USA, even though I reside in Norway. I agree that Masters Of Cinema, BFI and Arrow produce excellent titles, including Paper Moon. An Oppo in the USA is half the price of what we have to pay over here!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Finally got around to watching my imported copy of PAPER MOON from Eureka.

It has been well over a decade since I last watched this film (on DVD), so I was going into it rather fresh, not remembering much of it.

An absolutely entertaining film. One of the true gems of the 70's era. Tatum O'Neal absolutely deserved the Best Supporting Actress award. She was remarkable.

Well worth the effort to import this Blu-ray. The transfer looked very good. It is one of the more grainy presentations I have seen, but nothing wrong with that.

As I watched the Blu-ray, I couldn't help but feel frustrated that this and many other Paramount films from the 70s haven't seen the light of day. Of course, that's an argument that we have already beaten to death. However, when you see such an amazing film like PAPER MOON you can't help but wonder why this can't be purchased in the United States.

Outstanding film. Can't say enough great things about it. I am so happy that there was a means available for me to obtain, re-watch and savor this classic one more time.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Eureka disc does provide a grainy presention, but I think someone here at HTF who knows this film a lot better than I do has said the grain is correct and the original look of the film was grainy.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
The Eureka disc does provide a grainy presention, but I think someone here at HTF who knows this film a lot better than I do has said the grain is correct and the original look of the film was grainy.
I remember seeing Paper Moon this when it came out, while I was in the Army. Unlike some others with fantastic memories, I can't recall the grain from that time. Maybe the film was grainy but the Blu-ray is too grainy for my taste, bordering on annoying. I prefer the tight grain of something like the new Virginia Woolf disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
<cough>Oppo<cough> :)

And when I need to buy my next player, that's what I'll probably get. But I can't justify the expense against the extra value considering what I have now. That's all.

Well things have changed since that post of a year ago.

And I now own an Oppo 203...and have JUST purchased the region-free mod for it. And, just after doing so, I have re-ordered a copy of Paper Moon from amazon.uk...along with a copy of The Lion in Winter. :D

Really looking forward to being able to see this film again.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
A whole bunch of Paramount titles are available overseas, as you are probably aware:

ROMEO AND JULIET
ATLANTIC CITY
THE ELEPHANT MAN
GALLIPOLI
KING KONG (1976)
THE NAKED PREY
PAPER MOON
A SIMPLE PLAN
WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE

plus others I have missed. My guess is that there will continue to be Paramount releases on Blu-ray in the UK and other European countries, while we get only the occasional Criterion title.
Do you know if ATLANTIC CITY is region free?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Well things have changed since that post of a year ago.

And I now own an Oppo 203...and have JUST purchased the region-free mod for it. And, just after doing so, I have re-ordered a copy of Paper Moon from amazon.uk...along with a copy of The Lion in Winter. :D

Really looking forward to being able to see this film again.

I do believe you're going to like it. A lot! :) :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks