Paper Mario, To Buy or not to Buy?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DeathStar1, Oct 27, 2004.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Question..

I thought the first paper mario game for the N64 game looked cool, but I never got the chance to pick it up. NOw that the sequal is out, I have a chance to visit the franchise again. For someone who dosn't play much RPG's, but is a Mario fan, should I pick it up?

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, it's not as RPG as a typical RPG, but not as Mario as a typical Mario game (if that makes any sense). It really is a "platform RPG", that I'm really enjoying right now. Better still if you haven't played the first one, because everything will be new (not just repeated and tuned up).

One example-they keep the "RPG" battles platform-like by using timed action commands to increase your attack/defense. So, when you jump on an enemy hitting A right before you hit does a double attack.

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Great Game.

IMO, one of the better Marios since the Hey day. Much better than Sunshine which I didnt care for too much.

Also, feels related to many past games like Super Mario World, Paper Mario itself, & Yoshi's Island.

Feels more directly related to past games than Mario 64 or Sunshine. Both of which didnt seem very related to past games IMO.

If you never played Mario RPG or Paper Mario, it will take you a little time to get used to the style.

I feel it's the best traditional Mario adventure since Mario RPG from 1996.

4. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Game Informer gave this game a 6.x; the reviewers didn't like it because of "juvenile dialogue" and a "illogical plot" and being "too easy". I don't know what sort of crack they're smoking, but I don't want any. This is a wonderful game, just like the original Paper Mario for the N64 (which they criticized also)... I had over thirty hours logged into that game, which is about three times the amount I normally log into adventures.

The Paper Mario series makes you focus in on what you have to do next, rather than overwhelm players like me with statistics and enemies kick my ass because I don't have enough purple potions and spell-rechargers (there is some of that here, it should be noted). It will be too easy for many of you, but it's right down my alley.

Children can play this game; the plot will not overwhelm. But I've played RPGs with very serious/epic themes that bored me with repetitive gameplay. This game is constantly throwing new worlds and battles at you, so the game is constantly moving forward. You won't find yourself circling an area endlessly "racking up experience". In fact, this is discouraged by some of the gameplay elements.

In other words: this is mostly an action/strategy game with fun characters and settings and puzzles and irreverent dialogue. Take the negative reviews with some salt.

s

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is wrong.

Actually, I've found that the dialogue is actually better than in a lot of RPGs. Sure, they're not breaking out the $20 words left and right, but it's better than the boring pseudo-philosophical, whining, repetitive crap that passes for most RPG dialogue these days. At least there's a couple of funny moments, and it's actually written in, you know, ENGLISH!

And "illogical plot"? How is the plot of, say, FFX-2 any more logical than Paper Mario?

Now I will concede that it seems a little easy so far, but it's fun enough that I don't really care right now.