Paper Mario 2 is coming and it looks very good graphics wise...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Ryan Wishton, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I still enjoy Mario games after all these years... Sonic kind of died out to me after Sonic 3 (Didnt care for any of the games after 16 bit), but I still enjoy Mario games... Although, I didnt care much at all for the last game: Mario: Sunshine... It was too much like Mario 64, but not as newish or good for it's time...

Well, this fall they will be releasing Paper Mario 2.... It will be an RPG like he first one... I have seen photos of the game... It has very good graphics and looks like a cartoon sort of... I will purchase it...

With rumors of the next "official" Mario game in the traditional series coming as well, this should be a good year for those that enjoy the games...

Halo 2
    Leisure Suit Larry
    Paper Mario 2
    Traditional Mario Game
    Metal Gear Solid 3
    Resident Evil 4
    etc...

This is going to be a very costly fall season for me... I dont even play many games... There is just so much that peaks my interests this coming year...

Lets not even get started on how many DVD's are coming out this fall that I have been waiting for...

Last year there was really nothing I wanted for Christmas... This year there will be too much...

Image 1

Image 2

2. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

Wow, those are cool graphics...

Can anyone explain what the first one was like? It looked interesting, but I never tried it. Is it an action-RPG?

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Kevin,

Yes, it was an action/RPG... It reminded me of a Zelda game sort of... You travel between towns, worlds, etc...

The game was ok to play through, but this one looks like a lot more fun to me... The first one was for Nintendo 64, so it is dated graphics wise and even playing wise by now... I would probably pass on it now if wanting to play it for the first time...

I will definately be picking this 2nd one up just off the first few pictures...

I really like the animated cartoon like look so far...

Nothing like a video game collection with Paper Mario 2 sitting next to a bunch of MA rated games...

Resident Evil 4 just looks too good to pass up for me as well... And I havent played one since the 2nd one...

4. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I'm excited about this. I was just playing Paper Mario last night. It's not necessarily for hardcore RPG gamers, but it's incredibly fun. Lots of different worlds, (simple) puzzles, enemies, characters, etc. In other words, the perfect RPG for platform-loving, hardcoreRPG-impaired gamers such as myself.

s

5. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

i've always wanted to try paper mario but it's way to hard to find.
    on ebay the prices are quite a bit higher than i'd be willing to pay. i'm still looking forward to paper mario 2 mostly because i love pretty much anything mario.

*edit apparently i was thinking of mario rpg? i'll have to give paper mario a try

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    The graphics remind me of those found in Zelda

7. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

8. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

9. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I recently saw a very long video of the new GC Paper Mario on IGN... the graphics are incredible; the game seems to continue the storybook graphics and gameplay tradition of the N64 game, which as I mentioned above is amazingly fun and surprisingly deep. I'm liking the N64 game a lot more than Mario RPG for the SNES, which looked cool but had a slightly awkward gameplay angle and a more statistical experience point system (which many people enjoyed).

Watching several battles in the NEW game, it appears some of the same gameplay is featured - various types of jump and hammer attacks, special magical attacks (including cool-looking lightning strikes) and "badges" which provide special abilities (and since you are limited in how many you can use at once, there are many variations in strategy and abilities, depending on which badges you decide to use).

A goomba has also returned as your sidekick, but this one appears to be female. One of her functions, making a repeat from the first game, is the "tattle" command, which you can use in battle. You get a little biograph of the enemy in question and a health-energy readout on them... I'm sure there are still quite a few sidekicks from which to select with their own special abilities. (whether or not you can still only have one at a time, I don't know)

The new Paper Mario also seems to have added even more options in battle and in your environment. In one mini-game, you play through a 2D facsimile of a "Super Mario Bros. 1"-style level -- as Bowser! As you traverse the level you collect special power icons, and Bowser gets bigger and bigger until he fills the entire screen and the level (complete with SMB-style bricks and sky) are dwarfed. The giant Bowser pounds through blocks and SMB-style stairways... it's really cool.

This isn't out in Japan yet... I would imagine it's going to come out their this summer and be released stateside at the end of this year or possibly next spring.

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga also comes very highly recommended, but the graphical style is rather different. It is a mario-themed RPG, but not in the "paper" style. It's every bit as fun as Paper Mario, and you should buy it right now. All these games have an odd sense of humor.

s

10. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Changed the embedded images to URLs. One was a bit big and the other was just on the envelope (40K max). Helping the load times for high-speed-challenged. [​IMG]