Paper Convergence Grid for Panny 53WX42?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt Stone, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I've been messing with the service convergence recently, and there are a few geometry errors that I can't seem to fix by simply "eyeballing them." I'm afraid that I the paper grid for reference...is there anywhere that I can get this for the 53" model?

2. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I've also been wanting one for awhile now. Even when people ask about it on the panny.tv site, nobody knows. It's frustrating.

3. Ming Wang

Ming Wang Agent

I plan to draw one up myself... by measuring the distance from center to edge, and how many lines there are.

4. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

That's not a bad idea. If you have success with it...let us know.

5. Robert P. Jones

Robert P. Jones Second Unit

Until you have mastered how the Peri registers work, your geometry and convergence both will stay very limited at the endpoints of your picture, if that is your concern.

I never use the templates and prefer to eyeball it, using the AVIA 50 IRE Letterbox Enhanced Circlehatch grid, at least on DVD.

Punch 5 to get the AVIA grid to appear; or true-HD only to appear if on HD input.

On HD, you'll have to play with the height, width and positioning of the actual HD image - true HD only, now - and size it to your screen. I usually allow about 1-1.5" of overscan at the sides, each, and 3/4-1" overscan at t/b. Get the centers of your sides and t/b to the correct overscan, and go from there with pincushion and keystone, linearity, etc.

Using upconverted SD on an HD channel will allow for the sides to be gotten right, since there will be an inch or 2 of black at the sides on upconversions, when HD is properly sized and fitted to your 16x9 screen.

This side black space can be used to truly parallel your image to your screenframe.

Mr Bob

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I know that you can superimpose images onto the display while converging, but that doesn't help, since I can't eyeball it.

7. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Man...I've worked on this for about 6 hours over the past couple of days, and still no luck. I don't have Avia, but I do have VE...are there any test patterns that you can recommend on VE?

It's driving me nuts, because I can see that there is a problem, I just can't seem to find it when doing the convergence.

Any suggestions at all would be great.

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Matt, I have a 'beta' version of the 53" template available so email me privately and I'll fire it off to you. I don't have a 53" set here so I can't test it for accuracy myself right now.

9. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

YGM, Johnny.

Thanks!

10. JoeRiley

JoeRiley Stunt Coordinator

Whoops... I just posted a new thread on this... my bad.
    Hey Johny... I'm gonna drop you an email too, if you don't mind. I'm going nuts looking for the 53" grid myself. [​IMG]
    ADDED:
    JG, you're a life-saver. Thank You!

11. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

12. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I've used it a few times myself now and it seems to be accurate. Hope it helps!