What's new

Pantera: latest album? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Hey, who doesn't like Pantera, right? :)
I really dig Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power. The first half of Far Beyond Driven is awesome, but the album kind of stagnates later on. Southern Trendkill was just awful as far as I'm concerned.
So, how's the latest album, Reinventing the Steel? I heard it's a throw back to the classic Pantera style. Is it worth picking up?

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
Would the classic style be when they were a full out
glam band?
Look here -
Pantera
[Edited last by Frank_W on November 10, 2001 at 05:25 PM]

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I know all about that. Rock is all about image, you don't have to preach to the choir. Besides, not listening to a band because of image is just as stupid as being fan because of the image. They make kick-ass metal now, that's all that counts.
I've heard them give their little speeches about "heavy music" and always thing of their glam days. Ah well, the whole rock thing is a load of malarky anyway.

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
Man, those pics are funny. lol.
As a fan of post-Cowboys Pantera, I've gotta say that I hated Reinventing the Steel. The heavyness of their other albums just wasn't there. The guitars were more high-pitched aimless wailing than low crunching riffs. It was also hard for me to pick up on any kind of rhythm or melody.
There might not be a lot of people who think they had any kind of melody BEFORE this album, but that's another story.
Maybe this album WAS a throwback to the glam days after all.
biggrin.gif

~Crowe~

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, they kinda come across as trying way too hard on 'Reinventing The Steel'. It's definitely better than 'Trendkill', but nowhere near 'Vulgar' quality.
I pretty much lost interest when Phil started spinning off into psychosis during the 'Far Beyond Driven' era. I used to see them in concert alot, but there were only so many ten minute tirades (about how AIDS doesn't exist, everyone should drop out of school and/or be on blotter acid at all times etc. etc...) that I could stand.
Phil had a big persecution complex for a while - but I never stopped listening because 'heavy metal wasn't cool' or because the record companies told me not to. Nope, he just acted like an idiot too often. That, and they started sounding like they were desperately trying to prove they're the heaviest band on earth - when they should have just focused on rocking as best they can.
*sigh* But at least give 'Steel' a listen. It has its moments.
------------------
"Negative. I am a meat popsicle."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks