What's new

Pansonic RP91k outputs? (1 Viewer)

David Judah

Screenwriter
I doubt that you are doing anything wrong, Ron. I've felt that way at times also. If you sit down and start listening to a DVD-A with little or no frame of reference it can sometimes appear that way. If you go back though and start listening to some CDs again the differences start making themselves apparent.

I usually start noticing it in the upper midrange and treble. It opens up more with DVD-A, without any harhness, especially with cymbals.

On a similiar note, before the Olympics, the NBC affiliate started broadcasting a 480p signal on their HD channel. I was thinking to myself that it really wasn't that much better than their analog feed. I was just going on my memory of watching the regular TV we are all so used to. When I switched over to the regular feed though, the differences were much more apparent and it wasn't even true HD.

It's a little harder to do an apples to apples comparison with CD & DVD-A like the above example, but I think the analogy holds true.

DJ

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I agree with David. Also, it is not really fair to compare a DVD-Audio disc of a '70s rock recording to a CD that may sit among the best-sounding the format has to offer. A good recording can sound very good on CD. However, I always wonder how good it would sound on SACD or DVD-Audio. In some cases, I have been able to do the comparison. For example, I feel that Steely Dan Two Against Nature sounds excellent on CD. However, the DVD-Audio disc in stereo is on another level. Everything is better on the DVD-Audio disc. There is more air in the vocals, better layering of instruments, and everything sounds more natural (less recorded). Anyway, there are going to be CDs that sound better than Rumours on DVD-Audio. No format can work miracles. There are limitations imposed by lesser-quality recordings and/or aging masters. That said, to my ears, Rumours on DVD-Audio is much better than Rumours on CD.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies, Fellas!

Maybe I just need to give it some more time to get used to and need to check out some other discs as well. However, in reading the manual last night, it appears that I do need to change a setting in the "Audio" menu to get the player to "do" 2-channel. Once I make the change and check the disc again, it may be a different ball game!

Done a search and found this topic. When listening to Queen A night at the opera DVD-A using the 96k PCM audio track on my Panny RP91 using coaxiall connection and setting the menu of the player for no downconvertion my Dennon 5800 loock well. But I tried my Pioneer DVL 919 setting it the same way, no downconvertion of 96k PCM, using coaxial it didn't look. I feel that it should lokk what you guys think is wrong. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks