Pansonic RP91k outputs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al_M, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

I have a Panasonic RP91 connected to a Denon 2802.

I am utilizing the coax-digital output on the RP91 to the coax-digital input on 2802 for DVD-Video and CD playback.

I am also using the 5.1 channel analog outputs on the RP91 to the 5.1 analog inputs of the 2802 for DVD-Audio playback.

My question is this: Will the RP91 down sample the DVD-Audio tracks output from the 5.1 analog outputs just because there is also a digital output connected? I would think not, since the 'down sampling' should be a digital function and the analog outputs are not digitally processed in any way.

But the reason I am wondering is because during DVD-Audio playback there are 3 lighted readouts on the RP91: "D.Mix", "P.PCM" and "Multi.Ch"

Does the "D.Mix" mean down-mixed? Also, what does "P.PCM" mean? I can't find these anywhere in the manual. But I did find something that says "if the digital output is used....the output will be down sampled to 44.1 or 48 kHz."

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I am moving this to the Audio/Video Sources area where you should get a better response to the question.

3. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Neil. Looks like it wasn't getting much attention.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

5. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

Scott:

Thanks. So do you have the same icons on the display when playing DVD-Audio? Do you know what they stand for?

6. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

I am not sure what you mean by icons, Al. The RP-91 automatically recognizes the disc as a DVD-Audio format. It will send the high resolution (96k six channel or 192k two channel) mix out the 5.1 analog ports, and a downmixed signal out the digital connections. The RP-91's menu system still works in the same manner as with DVD-Video discs, although navigating the DVD-Audio menus authored on the disc itself can sometimes be cumbersome (depending on how the record company designed the menus).

I have found that you cannot change audio tracks on the fly via the AUDIO button as you can with many DVD-Video discs. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the format, or just the way the discs are authored (some DVD-Video discs do not allow you to do this either). I only own three DVD-Audio titles.

7. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

If you have both connected 5.1 and coax or toslink and your reciever supports switching audio sources you can even do an A/B compare of the two.

I was surprised how well the toslink connection sounded, until I actually switched to the "correct" 5.1 input and was blown away.

8. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

Scott:
    The following three "icons" are lit up on the display panel of the RP91:
    "D.Mix"
    "P.PCM"
    "Multi.Ch"
    I was wondering what they stood for. I can figure out Multi-Channel and I know what PCM is. But what is 'PPCM'; and what about 'D Mix'[​IMG]
    Thanks,
    Al

9. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I was just looking through the RP91 manual last night about this very thing!

I am already using the digital coax for DVD-V, so if I wanted to check out 2-channel stereo DVD-A, all that I need to do is hook up two RCA interconnects to the left/right analog outs on the back of the player and make the connection to the back of my receiver, right?

According to the other posts here, it appears as though I don't need to make any adjustments or change any of the settings in the player's menus...the player should automatically recognize the DVD-A disc, is that correct?

10. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

11. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I'd agree with scott on at least trying the 5.1 connections. The DVD-A decoder may not even be wired up directly to the 2 channel output. Don't know on that. You can be more sure by using the 5.1 out.

PPCM, that's odd...

DMix would be down mix? Down sample? >2 channels to 2 channels?

All are just guesses.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

All, I have the Technics DVD-A10 DVD-Audio player, which was the predecessor to the 'RP91. "P.PCM" stands for Packed PCM, meaning compressed PCM on DVD-Audio discs. This refers to PCM audio compressed using Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP). "D.MIX" stands for downmix. Here is what the owner's manual for the 'A10 says about P.PCM and D.MIX:

13. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

14. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Ron, that's what Scott and I were saying, if that is correct or not is unknown. Can you report back what you find out?

15. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Jeff D,

I certainly can...I'll test it out tonight and let everyone know tomorrow. I have what I think is a DVD-A/DTS sampler disc that was a freebie from Worst Buy, but I have to make certain. If not, it's off to the aforementioned store for a Fleetwood Mac DVD-A.

16. Chris Madalena

Chris Madalena Stunt Coordinator

Hi Ron. On your Denon, make sure you select the "External Input" button on the remote or turn the selector knob on your receiver so the the display on the 2802 says "External In" or something similar. I have the 3801 so the 2802 might be a bit different. But anyway, the only way you will get the high-res tracks from dvd-a is to be in that external mode so the RP91 will do all of the decoding and output through the 2802's 5.1 inputs.

17. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

Keith:

Thanks for the info from your manual. It seems the Technics manual is much more thorough than the Panny's.

Any ideas why my output is being downmixed even though I am using the 5.1 outputs. The Denon 2802 is set to "Ext. In" but for some reason the RP-91 is still downmixing according to the display on the panel.

Is it possible that since I have both the 5.1 and the digital outputs being used, that those message displays ("PPCM" and "DMix") pertain to the digital output only and the 5.1 output is actually not being downmixed.

BTW: The DVD-Audio title I am using is Metallica's Black Album.

18. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

19. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Chris Madalena,

Hey thanks for the tip! I was actually reading up on the "Ext. In" mode last night so I knew what to do once it was hooked up.

Jeff D,

I was able to make the connections, but by the time I did, it was rather late. So, I'm going to have to test it out this weekend and let ya know on Monday. At least that'll give me some time to pick up a DVD-A disc or two.

20. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Well, I was finally able to test out the DVD-A portion of the RP91 with "Rumours." It indeed sounded great (in 2-channel only...I don't have four other spare interconnects), but I don't feel as though it sounded that much better than one of my best sounding CDs. Am I missing something? Perhaps I need to make a change to the settings on the player to utilize the stereo-only mix which this disc does contain. I didn't see such a section in the manual, but I guess I need to read up some more...