Pansonic DMR-E20 - copy-protection question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam N, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Adam N

Adam N Agent

Greetings all,
    I recently purchased a Panasonic DMR-E20 dvd recorder. I am noticing that some sources (dvd, some vhs, etc) are impossible to record from to dvd-r. Regardless of the presence of macrovision on the tape / disc that is being played, the same thing happens. Does anyone know why this is occuring? [​IMG] Even though I am a Star Wars junkie, I know this is NOT the force! Does this machine, and others like it, recognize a different type of signal that prevents you from creating backups, copies, etc.? Any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated. Thank you![​IMG]
    Adam

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I use the E10 and I was experimenting last night with macrovision discs. The player would not even engage into record mode.

I tried some discs that have no copy protection and they recorded just fine. And I have tested things like Indy and the Temple of Doom off laserdisc and they copy just fine.

Verify that the disc is free of copy protection ... that is all I can say.

Regards

3. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

I have the Panny E20 & what's stopping you from recording certain material is CGMS/A, a digital copy-protection system built into the E20 (& other DVD recorders). If you want to copy tapes, you'll need a Macrovision eliminator (Sima or other). Recording from laserdiscs is no problem because they never had any copy protection. You won't be able to copy DVDs (well, you can, but I can't talk about it here). Try the 'DVD Hardware' section @ avsforum.com.

4. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

A macrovision buster won't eliminate CGMS/A. I've only seen one, a japanese unit, for $280.

ps. LDs don't have macrovision, its not compatible with that format.

5. Adam N

Adam N Agent

Thanks guys!!!

I had no idea that this CGMS/A even existed. Can you tell me more about it? What does it stand for, how it works, etc. I want to know ALL there is to know about it!

Mark,

Thanks to you too. What type of system signal does something like this travel through ... TELL ME MORE!

Adam

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Its something like Copy Generation Management System. /A is for Analog and /D is for digital. You'll find both on DVDs.

Its like Closed Captioning. It resides on line 21?(or 26) and basically says 'don't copy'. You'd think it would be simple to remove.

7. Adam N

Adam N Agent

Mark,
    You'd think so ... but do you? I am aware of the topics that we cannot discuss here, but is there more to this story that needs to be explored? [​IMG] Is this even possible?
    Adam

8. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

This has been discussed a little bit over at avsforum.com , perhaps you could start another thread in the DVD Software forum.

9. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Adam, e-mail me & I'll tell you what I know. I don't think Ron would allow us to talk about defeating Macrovision or CGMS/A here.