Panny XR55 or refurb HK 235?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Phil_G, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Phil_G

Phil_G Auditioning

So, I just bought the Athena Micra 6 speaker set for my dorm room after recommendations from here, and now I am looking for a receiver to power them. Pretty much I think I have narrowed it down to two very different receivers, the Panny XR55 and the HK 235 refurb from harmanaudio.com ($298, not bad for a receiver that retails for $200 more new). I like all of the features/looks/etc of the HK more than the Panny (not to mention that HK just sounds much more expensive and refined than Panasonic), but I keep on hearing about how amazing the Panny is supposed to sound. Sound quality is definately most important to me. All that will be connected to the receiever is my Xbox for DVDs/games/CDs and iPod dock. Which one would ya'll get, is the sound of the Panny really as good as it is hyped up to be? I have also heard that the Panny is bright sounding, would that be bad with my small Athena speakers. Would I want the warmer sound of the HK? Thanks!

P.S. Don't try and talk me into saving up for a receiver more than $300, I am already stretching my college student budget!

2. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

I would take the HK in a heartbeat. If nothing else’s it's features blow the panny away. I have the HK 230 which is the earlier (6.1 instead of 7.1) version of the 235. I love it. Also I noticed that harmanaudio.com had the 230 for $197.00. Since you don't already have a 7.1 setup I would recommend going for the 230 and saving another $100. I paid $350 for mine not too long a go and it is/was worth every penny. I love the sound of the harman/kardon.

The downsides to the HK AVR's are; remote sucks and that they're not the easiest receivers to set up. But I felt that the initial "setup" time was worth it. The Panny is geared more for "plug and play" whereas you will need to spend a little time setting up the HK.

Good luck and whatever you decide I hope you enjoy!

3. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

Peter,

What features are you talking about regarding the HK over the Panny?

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Phil, check out this link and tell me we're all crazy: Panasonic doesn't sell XR series in Singapore and we've shipped them from the US risking a step down transformer and lack of warranty coverage.

In the end, it boils down to sound. Most of us changed from more higher range kit as well but there's simply no contenders up to thrice the price.

5. Phil_G

Phil_G Auditioning

Yeah, there seems to be quite a Panasonic following on the internet, which is why I am seriously considering it. My only concerns about it though are that it looks so cheap (but I guess I would get over it if the sound is that good), I have read that it even though it has sound as good as receivers that cost sometimes in the $1000 range, it has a bright sound and is lacking some in the low end. That concerns me because the drivers of my Athena system are so small and I heard the sub of the system could be better, so I think I need better low end to compensate. I have heard that HKs are a little on the warmer end, and I figured that might help compensate for the brighter sound I am assuming I will get from my Athena speakers. Please help, I have narrowed it down to these two but I am kind of stuck! Thanks!

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Phil,

is this your first receiver? get the HK. its a reliable choice etc etc. (I have no qualms about refurbs - but between a new unit and a refurb, always choose new)

When its time to upgrade - thats when you try the Panasonic. Only then will you be able to appreciate the difference in sonics between these receivers. It's not easy to trust other people's listening, or - at it often seems about the pannys - mad ravings [​IMG]

7. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Thanks to some first hand experience with HK's reliability issues I would get the Panasonic. My first Dolby Digital receiver was an HK and it was great while it lasted but it died a premature death. There's a good reason why market is always flooded with HK refurbs.

8. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I picked up the Panny for a friend because we have always owned analog recievers and felt it was time to try something new. Especially given the praise and price. They are quite satisfied with the Panny BTW.

9. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

My 2 cts, Phil,

I would choose the Panny if just for the reliabiliy, there seem to be qc issues with HK gear, hence a lot of refurb units( and dare I say a lot of comments on its durability) but since there are a lot of nice comments on the audio for the panny, its just an added bonus but then again I`m biased as I'm running the xr30(smaller brother of the 55) and loving it

Regards.
    DavidSGT