Panny xr50 vs. Outlaw Audio 7100 pre/pro

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brian:Thomas, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Brian:Thomas

Brian:Thomas Auditioning

The new home I am moving into has a dedicated home theater that is 14x16 with a 9 1/2 ceiling. I own a SVS PB12 sub(!) and just ordered Ascend 340 mains, center and 170 surrounds. I was all set to buy an Outlaw Audio 7100 (7x100) and a model 950 pre/pro setup. Recently my attention has turned to the Panasonic sa-xr50 digital amp. For about $1400.00 less, I am tempted to order the xr50 and put the extra $$$$$ into a 50 inch HDTV plasma vs a 42 or 43 inch. I will use this for 50/50 stereo and HT, I like to play my somewhat movies loud.

I am aware that the Panny needs to be "broken in" for 250+ hours. The Ascend speakers are rated between 6-8ohm so driving them should be no issue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated I plan to pull the trigger very soon.

2. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

I think you may be pretty surprised what the XR-50 can do in your room. You only have about 2100 cubic feet to fill -- with the Ascends set to small you should have all the volume and dynamics you will need to rock the house!

As a point of reference, I have an XR-45 that was running in my family room -- 30'x28'x8'; 6700 cubic feet -- powering six 92-dB efficient Tannoy speakers, and it could crank much louder than I needed it to.

Before the Panny, I had a Denon 3802 receiver as a preamp and a conservative 140 watts x 5 channels (8 ohms) from a Parasound HCA-1205A in the room. The XR-45 did not give up much at all!

I too was considering the Outlaw gear in my home theater room, but thought it was getting a bit long in the tooth; plus I knew there were a few nicely priced processors coming out in the near future. I decided to try out the XR-45 as a bridge product to see if it could live up to the hype. If it didn't, I could sell it for a small loss. It's been a pleasant surprise thus far...I know it will provide all the volume necessary for my compact (2500 cu. ft.) theater room.

You don't have much to lose by trying it...and quite a bit of $$$ to gain if it ends up satisfying you. [​IMG]

3. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

With new formats on the horizon such as DD+ and DTS-HD, I would get the Panny if I were you. Any receiver or pre/pro on the market right now is already outdated. Since you have to buy one, get the most bang for the buck and save the rest for a future upgrade to the gear w/ the newer formats.

4. Brian_Fly

Brian_Fly Stunt Coordinator

I agree, give it a shot. I gave a demo of my Panny SA XR-10 to a friend yesterday and he was impressed. For the size and price, these digital units will shock you.

5. Dave_vega

Dave_vega Stunt Coordinator

yeah i agree..the xr-50 powers my speakers far better than i would ever need..this little unit is a steal at it's price..

6. Brian:Thomas

Brian:Thomas Auditioning

Well, I took the plunge and ordered a xr50 from one of the online retailers. Should be delivered in 3-5 days. I, too agree this receiver is a nice unit to bridge the gap for the next year or so as new technology is rolled out. When I get my system set up, I will let you all know how it turned out. I sure hope outlaw and other fine manufacturers don't fall behind the times.

PS. I am buying a Pioneer 43inch HD plasma at Costco. They have a "no questions asked" return policy on any of their produts for any reason. My 1 year old 3.0 meg digital camera took a fall and they took it back for 100% of what I paid and handed me cash! I just bot a new 5.1(no it doesn't do HT) megapixal Nikon for the same $$$$. It's a win win situation for a Plasma. Thanks again for all the advice.